Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet Cable

• 27-11-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey, I'm looking to buy about 20m of Ethernet cable somewhere in Limerick. Anyone know where I could get a good deal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Electrical wholesalers should have Cat6 on a roll. You just need to crimp the connectors on or connect to RJ45 sockets if for extension purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Techpart out in the Eastlink Business Park. They have a website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

bazz26 wrote: »
    Techpart out in the Eastlink Business Park. They have a website.

+1

the lads will make up whatever you need.

I made them start doing business with them here in work to support a local business. Sound bunch of lads and always very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Believe it or not, Dealz had a 20m CAT6 Belkin cable for sale last week for €1.49! Both in their Limerick and Shannon stores, might be worth a look, i purchased several of their 2m Belkin CAT6 cables and they work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

davo2001 wrote: »
    Believe it or not, Dealz had a 20m CAT6 Belkin cable for sale last week for €1.49! Both in their Limerick and Shannon stores, might be worth a look, i purchased several of their 2m Belkin CAT6 cables and they work fine.

Sure it wasnt cat5 cables instead of CAT6 big difference? I have removed tons of Belkin networking cables as they are problematic and dont even get me started on their wireless routers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

steveon wrote: »
    Sure it wasnt cat5 cables instead of CAT6 big difference? I have removed tons of Belkin networking cables as they are problematic and dont even get me started on their wireless routers.

100% sure, I'm a network engineer. Yeah usually wouldn't go near netgear stuff, but for that price I couldn't resist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

davo2001 wrote: »
    100% sure, I'm a network engineer. Yeah usually wouldn't go near netgear stuff, but for that price I couldn't resist!

Nice1 .....always good when you can snap up a bargain got many a good deal in dealz it has to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

There isn't any left in dealz. They were 10m cat6 straight through and 10mb cat5e crossover cables. I got the last of them :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Keddingtons beside Urlan on Clare Street has network supplies for cheap too.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

+1 for Techpart. We use them for network hardware and cables, very good pricing.

I picked up 2 of those 10m cat 6 cables in Dealz before. Belkin branded too! Not recently though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 YearZero

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting a powerline adapter kit (Belkin!) but I do appreciate the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

YearZero wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting a powerline adapter kit (Belkin!) but I do appreciate the help.

You're always better off getting real cable instead of the powerline stuff. The powerline adapters spew RF interference all over the spectrum, as power cables are pretty efficient radiators of higher frequency signals. The powerlink will also screw up the wifi in the area as it raises the noise floor and reduces the effective signal strength available to wifi devices.

And yes I am a network engineer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Popoutman wrote: »
    You're always better off getting real cable instead of the powerline stuff. The powerline adapters spew RF interference all over the spectrum, as power cables are pretty efficient radiators of higher frequency signals. The powerlink will also screw up the wifi in the area as it raises the noise floor and reduces the effective signal strength available to wifi devices.

And yes I am a network engineer..

I havent had any problems with either the signal strength in the home or the speed of the broadband and I have the powerline adapters/wifi extender

Advertisement