Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Lee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

magma69 wrote: »
    Tbh, I think his problems lie beyond his poor physical condition. He hasn't looked impressive in years.

The Vera shut-out 3 1/2 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

I only saw the last four rounds and I honestly could only give him one. Lee took a hiding and was in trouble at the end. The neutral crowd were booing at the decision. He probably didn't deserve it.

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Small report on Andy's fight here

http://www.boxingscene.com/early-sauerland-results-andy-lee-struggles-win--76635

Sounds like a complete robbery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Eh, he's had some shocking luck the other way so I'm not too bothered if it swings the other direction for once.

Dunno where Lee goes from here. Still time for an up-turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltXCH2EU9GE

There's the whole fight. Scored it a draw. Wouldn't call it a robbery but had Horta got the nod wouldn't have complained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The fight was made at 157 but I think Lee should stick it out for another fight to see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Andy got hit a few times too many in the latter rounds,i think he got the early few rounds as Horta was very defensive,a good 8 rounds of a scrap is just what the doctor ordered for Andy and he is fighting in Wales next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

unknown13 wrote: »
    The fight was made at 157 but I think Lee should stick it out for another fight to see how he gets on.

So for Lee that is a long way of 154 lbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Andy got hit a few times too many in the latter rounds,i think he got the early few rounds as Horta was very defensive,a good 8 rounds of a scrap is just what the doctor ordered for Andy and he is fighting in Wales next month.

A beating off a smaller man is never what the doctor ordered

• Advertisement

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Lee apparently fighting John Jackson on the Cotto-Martinez undercard...nothing confimed yet though

I just saw that Lee weighed 158.5 lbs for his last fight. This dismisses any legitimate claims that he will fight (healthily) at 154 lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

In the name of Christ what is going on with this 154 rubbish? Andy has been stop-start the last couple of years. He needs to get this crap of 154 out of his head, fight a gate keeper, win impressively, fight his way to a mandatory and have his shot at a title.

Sick to death of the way he's being handled.

Lee is set to fight Julian Jackson's son, John, on the Cotto v Martinez undercard. Would be burying my head in the sand if I said there isn't a big chance of him being stopped here. Lee's poor defence, dodgy stamina and weight cutting doesn't bode well. :(

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=483147&cat=boxer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Lee is being seriously considered for a fight with Matt Korobov for the vacant WBO strap.

Was supposed to be Andrade, then Billy Joe Saunders, but both pulled out. Apparently Lee is now the man in line.

pac_man wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? Was only reading yesterday that he was fighting him on the back of the Eubank mess? Just had a look at the Rankings and it would suggest that one of the Charlo bros are next in line if Saunders pulled out.

WBO president on twitter. Says he has referred a request from promoters for Lee-Korobov to the championship committee.

My guess is Saunders-Eubank is back in play.

If it goes ahead. I'd imagine this will be on a Top Rank card in the US rather than a Warren card.

If it goes ahead. I'd imagine this will be on a Top Rank card in the US rather than a Warren card.

On the undercard for Bradley-Chaves I reckon. Early December.

• Advertisement

Mighty news,come on Andy.

Lee gets hammered if this comes off imo.

Lee has a puncher's chance and in all likelihood that's about it. Korobov will land at will when they're at close range.

If Lee could get back to the form he showed against Chavez Jr then you'd give him a shot. Korobov was a great amateur but he hasn't exactly looked an exceptional pro. But you couldn't pick the Lee we've seen for the past two years against any top level opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 187187

I disagree if Andy gets inside and brings the fight to Korobov, he can win this.

187187 wrote: »
    I disagree if Andy gets inside and brings the fight to Korobov, he can win this.

Getting inside will be the least of his troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

I'm not convinced by Korobov at all. He came into the pros with a very big reputation and has literally never looked the part. He has had a far longer apprenticeship than someone of his supposed credentials should have had, which speaks volumes of what his backers seem to think.

Korobov's lack of stamina has been a major issue, but unfortunately Andy's isn't exactly stellar either. If it was better I'd give Andy a very good chance. As it is, I'm not writing him off, without saying he's going to win, but I don't think it will be the cakewalk some here are talking of.

Korobov is no killer, but just look at Lee's form. He's been in deep trouble against guys like Horta and John Jackson. Korobov's been fighting nobodies too but at least he's been beating them handily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

I think that has a lot to do with fighting at light-middle - which was completely nuts in my opinion. He wasn't physically strong at middle, so how the hell was he going to get stronger starving himself to get down to a weight he hadn't made in years?

Korobov is very strong physically, but is still far more boxer than fighter which is good for Andy. I think he'll be competitive.

187187 wrote: »

Not sure I get your point. Andy Lee has no inside game. Never had.

Bob Arum has confirmed that this is going to be in Dublin

https://twitter.com/steveucnlive/status/519192381548421120

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

DiBella is still Lee's promoter and this show won't go ahead without agreement from FW, TR, DBE and Adam Booth. Still details to be signed about date and venue, regardless of what Bob Arum told US media.

ah,sure wrote: »
    DiBella is still Lee's promoter and this show won't go ahead without agreement from FW, TR, DBE and Adam Booth. Still details to be signed about date and venue, regardless of what Bob Arum told US media.

Seems like a mess promotion-wise alright. Warren seemingly has nothing to do with either fighters but because Saunders was supposed to fight he somehow retains involvement?

It's strange as I thought Arum would be the one most against a fight in Lee's backyard.

If Booth doesn't think this is the right fight for Andy, he might as well pack it in as his coach because he won't get a better chance at a world title should this go ahead.

Everyone involved wants the fight, but I believe FW & TR have agreed in principle to stage it without actually forming a proper plan as to how. Dublin is the desired venue but it's too early to say it's a done deal when it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

ah,sure wrote: »
    Everyone involved wants the fight, but I believe FW & TR have agreed in principle to stage it without actually forming a proper plan as to how. Dublin is the desired venue but it's too early to say it's a done deal when it's not.

It's never too early for Frank Warren to announce a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Would the 3 Arena be the venue? Hard to know what sort of following Lee would be able to attract at this stage of his career, he is on of boxing's more likeable characters but is that enough to sell tickets. Back in the RTE days there was hype about his career and he was known by the general public but that hype has pretty much dwindled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Would the 3 Arena be the venue? Hard to know what sort of following Lee would be able to attract at this stage of his career, he is on of boxing's more likeable characters but is that enough to sell tickets. Back in the RTE days there was hype about his career and he was known by the general public but that hype has pretty much dwindled.

It's a world title fight though, we don't see too many of them in these parts. We have a lot of event junkies in this country, given the right promotional campaign I'd say it could do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Unfortunately this country has been starved of decent boxing promotions for years. The recent Frampton headliner in Belfast & this potential line-up in Dublin are to be welcomed.

Theres no doubt that Lee has gone off the boil a bit, however, I think the ticket buyers are still very much behind him & with a reasonable undercard this event should do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Andy Lee will be fighting Koborov for the title on the undercard of the Bradley-Chavez fight

"Bout subject to change & commission approval"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

shame its not in dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I've never actually seen a Koborov fight, what are Andy's chances?

Spazdarn wrote: »
    I've never actually seen a Koborov fight, what are Andy's chances?

Going on recent form, not great.

Andy to win on points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I really want Andy to get a World title before he retires, I don't think he'll ever become that level of a fighter and if anything is on the wane... but I'd like for him to have become a world champion in much the way Darren Barker was, even if it would be short lived.

Spazdarn wrote: »
    I really want Andy to get a World title before he retires, I don't think he'll ever become that level of a fighter and if anything is on the wane... but I'd like for him to have become a world champion in much the way Darren Barker was, even if it would be short lived.

I'd love this too, but there is a big part of me that laughs at the suggestion. It almost mocks the sport that Lee and Barker could be tagged as world champions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

No disrespect to Andy but I could never rate him at world level. His stamina issues are too great and he has continually struggled against very mediocre opposition. He has great boxing skills but in my opinion he is simply not suited for the pro-game, the Chavez bout being the best example of this.

Though Migiel Cotto being 'rated' as number 1 MW on earth is pretty laughable too. The guy is a blown up LWW who is past his best days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

And the new!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Delighted for the guy,....he deserves to be able to call himself world champion for all the effort and heartache he has suffered in his career

• Advertisement
Advertisement