Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Lee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He really does, he was my fave from the times in the National Stadium (I still judged fairly but he was so easy to judge)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Any vids of the post fight interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are there any highlights on Boxnation today?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

efb wrote: »
    And the new!
    Delighted for the guy,....he deserves to be able to call himself world champion for all the effort and heartache he has suffered in his career

Fair play to him & he proved a lot of people wrong. His 1st defense will surely be in Dublin vs Billy Joe Saunders. It gives him a shot to hang on to the title & a World Title fight in Dublin would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

media jumping over it now..and barely a mention before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I went ape**** when he landed that right hook. People thought there was a burglar attacking me in the house haha.

chrysagon wrote: »
    media jumping over it now..and barely a mention before

No doubt RTÉ will suddenly be on the boxing bandwagon now after giving the sport two fingers for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

magma69 wrote: »
    No doubt RTÉ will suddenly be on the boxing bandwagon now after giving the sport two fingers for years.

They will as long as it doesn't clash with the Irish rugby under 20's playing Georgia in a crucial challenge match in Athlone. Delighted for Andy though. Always good to see the nice guy win.

Press the Cash In button Andy

Press the Cash In button Andy

He's adamant about fighting in Ireland. So I'd imagine Billy Joe Saunders will be coming over to fight in the 3 Arena would be the likeliest scenario.

Be fantastic for a fight to happen in Thomond Park though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

I have only a passing interest in boxing so I am just wondering how prestigious is this belt? Not trying to do down Lee's achievement, just wondering as I am not an authority on the sport.

It would be 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

A fight with Miguel Cotto in Dublin would be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Booth getting Andy down to light middle was the making of the man. It left him weak at the time but stronger now and more comfortable. We might just get to see the best of him. No one could ever deny the potential he showed but it seemed to have passed him by. I'm delighted he has gotten himself back on track. Huge congratulations to the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I think he should press Jermain Taylor for a fight in the States first. Taylor is very very beatable and it'd add another belt. Andy has power now to pick his fights. Billy Joe would be a tricky fight. In a dream world he'd get a big pay day from a fight with Cotto although I think Golovkin will get to Andy first.

I think he should press Jermain Taylor for a fight in the States first. Taylor is very very beatable and it'd add another belt. Andy has power now to pick his fights. Billy Joe would be a tricky fight. In a dream world he'd get a big pay day from a fight with Cotto although I think Golovkin will get to Andy first.

Billy Joe is mandatory

Billy Joe is mandatory

Is this 100% certain? I didn't think he was. Still if one of Cotto/GGG/Taylor reach out to Lee I'd find it hard for Lee to not take one of those fights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

fairly sure that it was a condition of lee/koborov taking the fight that the winner had to defend against Billy joe

• Advertisement

In this day and age mandatory doesn't mean that in Boxing though

In this day and age mandatory doesn't mean that in Boxing though

I think it was Warren that campaigned for him to get the shot after Saunders opted to fight Eubank Jr with his shot guaranteed. Think the only way of overriding Saunders would be a unification shot.

Saunders v Lee in Ireland would be a fantastic fight anyways.

I think it was Warren that campaigned for him to get the shot after Saunders opted to fight Eubank Jr with his shot guaranteed. Think the only way of overriding Saunders would be a unification shot.

Saunders v Lee in Ireland would be a fantastic fight anyways.

I can see this happening. But yeah a fight with Billy Joe in Dublin would be great with Quigley and Nevin on the undercard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

With Crawford vacating the WBO lightweight title, then Ormond will be surely getting a shot to fight for it. As a double header between Lee v Saunders and Ormond v Flanagan for WBO world titles would be a major event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I've never been more delighted to be proved wrong about someone!
    Just saw the fight this morning, i thought it was going to be a comfortable points decision for Korbov.
    . His ability to take a punch proved invaluable in that last exchange with Korbov.
    No matter what happens from now on, he fulfilled his dream and proved Manny right. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

It would be 4th

4th best in middleweight or fourth best of all the divisions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

lukin wrote: »
    4th best in middleweight or fourth best of all the divisions?

The oldest belts are the WBC, WBA & IBF. The WBO is the 4th in prestige, but because of politics within the game a lot i
    Ofboxers over the years have gladly fought for and prioritised this unions belts

Cotto is ranked number 1 MW in the world but we all know that's bullsh*t. Taylor isn't a top 4 MW but he has a belt too. Golovkin is the only guy with a belt I'd actually consider a top 4 MW tbh, with him being #1

Why did Quillin vacate?
    edit: Just googled and it is down to Al Heymon not wanting Jay Z promoting a fight with one of his fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Please tell me we're not going to be hearing from Macklin now? Calling out Lee for another crack at a title? Hope Lee takes on Saunders and KOs him. Fair play to Lee. Did the business against a decent boxer. Neither are world beaters for me. Lee never was. Sorry, have to be truthful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Good win last night but I w'ont be getting carried away with the "world champ" lark.

A bit like Khan holding up some belt last night as well, is he the world champ ? Me arse he is.

• Advertisement

Only saw the Lee stoppage. Worth watching the whole fight?

walshb wrote: »
    Please tell me we're not going to be hearing from Macklin now? Calling out Lee for another crack at a title? Hope Lee takes on Saunders and KOs him. Fair play to Lee. Did the business against a decent boxer. Neither are world beaters for me. Lee never was. Sorry, have to be truthful.

Merry Christmas to you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

walshb wrote: »
    Only saw the Lee stoppage. Worth watching the whole fight?

No I wouldn't bother, wasn't great at all. Korobov was just doing enough to win each round imo. Think Lee had won one round up until the stoppage. I also don't want to see Lee - Macklin, Macklin has done absolutely nothing to warrant another title shot, he is done.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Bit early, but thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

ebbsy wrote: »
    Good win last night but I w'ont be getting carried away with the "world champ" lark.

A bit like Khan holding up some belt last night as well, is he the world champ ? Me arse he is.

No, and I doubt he considers himself a World champion.
    The belt he won was the WBC Silver Welterweight title, no one considers that a World title.

The WBO was once considered less prestigious than the other 3, but that's no longer the case (and hasn't been for probably 10 years). Funnily enough when Steve Collins was WBO champion, the organisation would of been seen to be lesser than the other 3, but I assume people in this country didn't see things that way at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

The truth is at this stage it's not the belt that makes the fighter, but the fighter that makes the belt and it has been for some time.
    Joe Calzaghe and Marco Antonio Barrera were long-term WBO belt holders and regarded as the no. 1's in their division.
    There have been numerous other WBO holders who were division leaders, so the whole issue of which belt is the best is pointless.

I'd certainly fancy Andy over Jermaine Taylor, the IBF belt holder.

Have RTE news on there in the background.
    Sports Highlights mentioned as it comes on, Munster lost to Clermont but picked up a bonus point, also Ulsters European campaign is over after they lost.

Suppose those would be the biggest sports results of today, maybe Man United's win over Liverpool should of got mentioned too......
    Anything else, have I forgotten any major sporting result which deserves a headline ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Big Ears wrote: »
    Sports Highlights mentioned as it comes on, Munster lost to Clermont but picked up a bonus point, also Ulsters European campaign is over after they lost.

Suppose those would be the biggest sports results of today, maybe Man United's win over Liverpool should of got mentioned too......
    Anything else, have I forgotten any major sporting result which deserves a headline ?

Fair play to Andy.

Are you serious, it was not mentioned on the news, don't actually watch tv so don't know.

Fair play to Andy.

Are you serious, it was not mentioned on the news, don't actually watch tv so don't know.

Ah no they had it on there on the Sports News section (Rugby results first, then the GAA, then Andy's win), but at the opening of the show they give the main sports headlines. Rugby was the only sport mentioned, showing how RTE prioritises it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Big Ears wrote: »

Andy had his own little segment and jnterbjew between the rugby and the football

• Advertisement

Andy had his own little segment and jnterbjew between the rugby and the football

That interview is from IFL (I Film London) tv, a YouTube channel. It can be seen in full here

RTE have no problem sending Marty Morrissey to Abu Dhabi to report on the announcement of a GAA World Cup, but there was no chance of them sending someone to report on an Irish fighter in a World title fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

they got caught with their pants down a couple of times, also it is something that they have no control over, they like holding the five aces, four are not enough for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

To put RTE's coverage in perspective the BBC sports news opened with the line that Amir Khan wants to fight for the world middleweight title next year. I suppose Khan vs Lee would draw a bit of attention!!

HigginsJ wrote: »
    To put RTE's coverage in perspective the BBC sports news opened with the line that Amir Khan wants to fight for the world middleweight title next year. I suppose Khan vs Lee would draw a bit of attention!!

At a catchweight of 154lbs I'd have Lee knocking Khan out 99 times out of 100:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Korobov's cautious nature was the one thing I thought might give Lee a shot heading into this fight. He's a very tasty boxer but he's uncomfortable doing the one thing Lee can't deal with at all, getting in his opponent's face and just pouring it on.

Delighted for Andy. Couldn't have happened for a nicer fella.

Still can't believe Quillin dropped the belt to avoid Korobov. He is the biggest joke in the sport, and that's saying something.

Henno30 wrote: »

Still can't believe Quillin dropped the belt to avoid Korobov. He is the biggest joke in the sport, and that's saying something.

He dropped the belt for Haymon, I don't think any boxer can refuse to do what Al Haymon tells them.

He dropped the belt for Haymon, I don't think any boxer can refuse to do what Al Haymon tells them.

He doesn't get a pass for that.

Not so long ago he was talking about how Golovkin didn't deserve to be in the ring with Peter Quillin, and that when he built a huge fanbase like Peter Quillin he might be.

And yes, he actually refers to himself in the third person in that fashion.

http://ucnlive.com/lee-fights-steward-mind/#.VIstn4-U8iI.twitter Great article on the relationship between Lee and Emmanuel Steward.

Matthew Macklin must be kicking himself right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would still like to see Macklin vs Andy in the o2. It would be a decent scrap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement