Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Lee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

walshb wrote: »
    I read that. But, we could belittle him too by saying that he won his belt against a fighter he had already beaten, a fighter that had already been beaten twice by a bin man. The only difference between Frampton and Quigg is that Frampton's belt is the IBF belt, and Quigg's is a version of the WBA belt. Neither man can really lay claim to a WC tag!

Quigg could say that, but then he'd look pretty silly considering he didn't win his title as such, but was upgraded from interim champion (despite there being a fully functioning World champion), and then drawing in his first defence against a fighter who was knocked out by a journeyman in his next fight.
    Also he only won the interim version by beating a shot version of the very same ''bin man''.

You're right though, neither man is a legitimate World champion, the true World champion at the weight is Guillermo Rigondeaux. Frampton is the #1 contender and Quigg is the #3, that's not just my own personal opinion btw, that's how Ring magazine see things also.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Big Ears wrote: »
    That fight still annoys me :mad:
    Lee lost on countback (27:27) and that might have been fair if the vast majority of N'Dam's scoring blows hadn't been slaps. I mean why the **** do they bother putting the white part on the glove if they're just going to ignore it's there and score blows which connect with any part of it ???
    Lee would of been beat by Gaydarbekov in the round after anyway, but it's still bollocks.

That was some star studded division, you'd be amazed the pro fighters who came from the Middleweight division at the 2004 games:
    Gennady Golovkin
    Andre Dirrell
    Jean Pascal
    Karoly Balzsay
    Andy Lee
    Hassan N'Dam
    Alfredo Angulo (Lee beat him)
    Yordanis Despaigne
    and some other decent pros like Lukas Wilaschek, Joey Vegas, Jamie Pittman and Kgotso Motau

That's all without the gold medal winner, Gaydarbek Gaydarbekov himself !

No way johnny vegas is a middle weight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

LEE WAS BORN IN LONDON OF IRISH PARENTS

barney4001 wrote: »

I WAS BORN IN PORTLAOISE !!!!

why are we shouting random things ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

barney4001 wrote: »

We know this

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

And Lee learnt he's trade in St Francis's boxing club in limerick city. Hell of a nice fella & a credit to the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

We are NOT having this discussion again about roots. Drop it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Just back from fight in Vegas,super win by super guy,AN THE NEW!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

So proud and happy for Andy. Having met him after the Jackson fight where he was almost beatific in his happiness it was fantastic to watch him win a World title on HBO.

An absolute gent, as so many boxers are, as mentioned I hope he cashes out big time but he'll always be a World Champion and that is a great legacy. His tribute to his friend and mentor Manny Steward and his family summed up the man.

The lad I met him with in June again met him in South William Street recently and again had a word and remembered meeting us outside MSG!

Like everything in life it does come down to timing. Andy is a World Champion and John Duddy is moving furniture for a company I used to work for! That is not being disrespectful to John but just pointing out how things can change in sport.

Maith an fear Andy and many congratulations Champ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

walshb wrote: »
    Impossible to be wrong about this. Lee is an amateur in a pro game.

That's a little harsh mate.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    So proud and happy for Andy. Having met him after the Jackson fight where he was almost beatific in his happiness it was fantastic to watch him win a World title on HBO.

An absolute gent, as so many boxers are, as mentioned I hope he cashes out big time but he'll always be a World Champion and that is a great legacy. His tribute to his friend and mentor Manny Steward and his family summed up the man.

The lad I met him with in June again met him in South William Street recently and again had a word and remembered meeting us outside MSG!

Like everything in life it does come down to timing. Andy is a World Champion and John Duddy is moving furniture for a company I used to work for! That is not being disrespectful to John but just pointing out how things can change in sport.

Maith an fear Andy and many congratulations Champ.

As a side note, John is playing Ken Buchanan in the Roberto Duran Biopic 'Hands of Stone' which comes out at the end of this year. The film also stars Robert De Niro, John Turturro, Usher (as Sugar Ray Leonard), and has an estimated budget of somewhere between $18.5-20 million (IMDB), so it'll have some notoriety anyway. Hopefully for John it can lead to other roles of that scale and bigger again because working 9-5 day in day out is no life for a man who put his health at risk the way he did for the the entertainment of people.
    Shafted by his manager/promoters....:(.

On a more positive note Jermain Taylor is fighting Sergio Mora in February, and that's almost certainly a case of getting the belt from Taylor before he's locked up. Whoever wins I reckon Lee has the beating of either man and it'd be a perfect fight for him should he be able to get through Saunders. Although Saunders won't be easy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    That's a little harsh mate.

That's an old post of mine I am sure. I was never sold on Lee as being all that good as a pro.

pac_man wrote: »
    How do you all see Lee and Saunders getting on if they fought. I think it's an interesting fight. Both haven't got a gas tank and for some reason I can see it panning out in the same way when Lee fought McEwan.

Saunders' gas tank seems fine to me. It's Saunders' fight to lose. Lee has one chance and that is by KO. Both are on the same level.

pac_man wrote: »
    The manner in which he finished the Ryder and Eubank fights would indicate to me that there's definite stamina issues.

His tank IMO is a deal better than Andy's. Bradley sets a faster pace and throws a lot of shots with a lot of movement. Tactics and energy management is probably more his issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

For Andy stamina and output are an issue.. it's an even enough fight though for, Saunders is solid enough but Andy has that KO punch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

As a world title fight Lee vs Saunders is of a terribly low level. It's a toss up to be honest. I would think Lee's experience & potential KO ability would swing it his way but it would be very close.

i never thought Andy would make it to the top, good luck to himin future defences

HigginsJ wrote: »
    As a world title fight Lee vs Saunders is of a terribly low level. It's a toss up to be honest. I would think Lee's experience & potential KO ability would swing it his way but it would be very close.

It's one of the weakest title fights I can remember. Both are domestic level for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Should be some great opportunities for Lee if he wins. A lot of guys will be after that belt. 50-50 fight. Saunders is mediocre but is capable of outpointing Andy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

As a side note, John is playing Ken Buchanan in the Roberto Duran Biopic 'Hands of Stone' which comes out at the end of this year. The film also stars Robert De Niro, John Turturro, Usher (as Sugar Ray Leonard), and has an estimated budget of somewhere between $18.5-20 million (IMDB), so it'll have some notoriety anyway. Hopefully for John it can lead to other roles of that scale and bigger again because working 9-5 day in day out is no life for a man who put his health at risk the way he did for the the entertainment of people.
    Shafted by his manager/promoters....:(.

On a more positive note Jermain Taylor is fighting Sergio Mora in February, and that's almost certainly a case of getting the belt from Taylor before he's locked up. Whoever wins I reckon Lee has the beating of either man and it'd be a perfect fight for him should he be able to get through Saunders. Although Saunders won't be easy...

Duddy also trained De Niro for that terrible movie Grudge Match so, as you say, hopefully they will lead to some more lucrative roles.

On a side note I see Andy's height is down as 6'2''. When I met him and got a photo with him I noticed he was exactly my height: 6'0''!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

He definitely is 6"2 otherwise JCC jr is far smaller than is given credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Duddy also trained De Niro for that terrible movie Grudge Match so, as you say, hopefully they will lead to some more lucrative roles.

On a side note I see Andy's height is down as 6'2''. When I met him and got a photo with him I noticed he was exactly my height: 6'0''!

Nope, from standing beside him years ago, he is definitely over 6'.
    6'2" sounds about right.

Can be very difficult to get a person's exact height. Need to be without shoes/trainers to get precise measurement. I'd say And is 6 feet 1 or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Lee supposedly fighting Patrick Nielsen next and not Billy Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Lee supposedly fighting Patrick Nielsen next and not Billy Joe

Where'd you hear this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Andy Lee on the late late. The bunch of glory hunting bas*****

Andy Lee on the late late. The bunch of glory hunting bas*****

???????????

megadodge wrote: »
    ???????????

Presumably he's referring to RTE and their lack of coverage before the fight, and the fact they hadn't taken any interest in him for about 4 1/2 years, till he wins a World title and they're all over him like flies to **** !

• Advertisement

Presumably he's referring to RTE and their lack of coverage before the fight, and the fact they hadn't taken any interest in him for about 4 1/2 years, till he wins a World title and they're all over him like flies to **** !

Maybe that's it, but I'd still prefer that than continuing to ignore him.
    Half a loaf, etc.

Exactly what did you expect from a state broadcaster With 2 channels? It was covered on their radio sports show! Do you want him on the late show every night?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Exactly what did you expect from a state broadcaster With 2 channels? It was covered on their radio sports show! Do you want him on the late show every night?

I was merely making a guess at what SuperSean meant by his post.
    However I do believe RTE's lack of coverage of our most successful sport has been pretty deplorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

However I do believe RTE's lack of coverage of our most successful sport has been pretty deplorable.

Spot on

I've heard that before but what would you like to be done?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

It doesn't matter at all how successful we are at boxing, the state channels have a duty to cover the most popular sports. Boxing is way down the list in Ireland, far behind soccer, rugby, hurling, football, golf, horse racing etc. It is unrealistic to expect an equivalent amount of coverage or media attention.

It doesn't matter at all how successful we are at boxing, the state channels have a duty to cover the most popular sports. Boxing is way down the list in Ireland, far behind soccer, rugby, hurling, football, golf, horse racing etc. It is unrealistic to expect an equivalent amount of coverage or media attention.

Boxing was actually very popular when RTE showed it. Up to 1 million viewers for their biggest and most established name (Dunne) and usually doing 220,000-300,000 for the likes of Lee, Macklin, Murray etc.
    Now advertising review from boxing would be quite a bit down on the equivalent audience for golf or other sports, but as the national broadcaster RTE has a responsibility to provide the public with what they want to watch.

I'm not saying there should be as much coverage as soccer, rugby, hurling or football. But can you really say boxing hasn't deserved for RTE to pay to show 1 show in the last 4 years ?, because they haven't done that. Do you really believe boxing is so low in popularity in this country that it shouldn't be shown on tv at all ?

Also after covering boxing hugely at the Olympics and making a big deal of it, RTE had the rights to the National Championships. They elected to show just 3 fights. Now whatever you want to say about the public maybe not usually having that high an interest, there certainly was big interest in the sport among the national public around that time, and RTE did not want to cater to it.
    Finally the media dictate a lot of what's popular, sometimes more so than just showing what is popular. Rugby is an extremely popular sport in this country, and that hasn't just been down to national and provincial success. 10 years ago Munster and Leinster may have not won any Heineken Cups, but Munster had come very close and Leinster had competed in the latter stages. Ulster meanwhile had won the competition. Yet on regular occasions home attendances in domestic league games attendances were lower than LOI sides !
    But attention grew and grew in the media, as did coverage and things snowballed as a result. Rugby is huge in Ireland now, but not all of its own doing.

Rugby is an extremely popular sport in this country, and that hasn't just been down to national and provincial success. 10 years ago Munster and Leinster may have not won any Heineken Cups, but Munster had come very close and Leinster had competed in the latter stages. Ulster meanwhile had won the competition. Yet on regular occasions home attendances in domestic league games attendances were lower than LOI sides !
    But attention grew and grew in the media, as did coverage and things snowballed as a result. Rugby is huge in Ireland now, but not all of its own doing.

Apart from the Irish international games rte don't actually show much rugby coverage. They completely ignore the National League. They've only recently started showing celtic league games which are few and far between and they've never had the rights to the Heineken cup.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Apart from the Irish international games rte don't actually show much rugby coverage. They completely ignore the National League. They've only recently started showing celtic league games which are few and far between and they've never had the rights to the Heineken cup.

The AIL may be a national league, but it's an amateur one. It's equivalent to them not showing Leinster Senior League soccer matches.
    RTE tried to get the Celtic League back in 2004 but were outbid by Setanta who were just throwing money at everything. As soon as Setanta were out of the picture (okay Setanta Ireland still exists) RTE were straight in there, although Irish coverage was shared with TG4.

As for the statement in bold, that's just factually incorrect. RTE showed live games until 2007, and highlights until 2011. Including fantastic occcasions like this . Nevertheless my statement regarding the media's impact on a sports popularity was not aimed solely on RTE's influence but the media as a whole. Rugby gained huge coverage in print media and radio over the years which undoubtedly helped contribute to its popularity.

• Advertisement

Which fights would you have liked to have seen televised that weren't in 2014?

I'd disagree massively with boxing being way down the list, there are far more boxing clubs in the country than rugby clubs, although participation rates might be lower it would not be too far behind with far less resources. The coverage golf gets is baffling too, the interest in the sport did explode in the celtic tiger days but RTE sport news always reports on pga tour events not involving Irish players but world title fights in boxing are always ignored.

I'd disagree massively with boxing being way down the list, there are far more boxing clubs in the country than rugby clubs, although participation rates might be lower it would not be too far behind with far less resources. The coverage golf gets is baffling too, the interest in the sport did explode in the celtic tiger days but RTE sport news always reports on pga tour events not involving Irish players but world title fights in boxing are always ignored.

http://www.sportseconomics.org/sports-economics/participation-rates-and-funding-in-irish-sport

Boxing is not in the top 10 sports by participation rate in Ireland

Organised sports it can't be far off rugby. Jogging, dancing and personal exercise don't count as organised sports. If that is the case then me punching my punchbag should count towards boxing participation rates.

Why on earth is RTE getting a grilling for having Lee on after he wins an important fight? He's a virtual nobody on the sports scene. Got a shot out of the blue at a version of a title and he won. RTE were hardly jumping for joy when, or even if they heard that he had a "title" shot. He's not a seller, and likely never will be. Why waste time and effort on him? RTE can only show so much. He won the title and got some decent publicity, it THEN made sense to look for him to appear on an RTE show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

This man could be andy's next test

Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam from Cameroon.

He's a guy who Andy narrowly lost to back in the 04 Olympics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

This man could be andy's next test

Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam from Cameroon.

He's a guy who Andy narrowly lost to back in the 04 Olympics

Big name! Boom tish!

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Big name! Boom tish!

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

Well unless Lee wants to give up the title back right away. Hassan is one of very few options.

Hassan's last fight was an eliminator so he is due a shot at the title.

Lee's is not getting in the ring with GGG or Cotto

Well unless Lee wants to give up the title back right away. Hassan is one of very few options.

Hassan's last fight was an eliminator so he is due a shot at the title.

Lee's is not getting in the ring with GGG or Cotto

I'm gonna expand on the RTE stuff later when I've a chance to write in more detail, but your post is just a little odd. NDam won an IBF eliminator, so he is Jermain Taylor's mandatory (Taylor fights Sergio Mora in February), so there is little to no chance he'll give that up to fight Lee (WBO champion). Not only is N'Dam more dangerous than Lee's likely opponent, but the reverse is also true, so it makes zero sense (considering it's not a big money fight) for either man.

Word is Lee might be defending against Patrick Nielson, who was beat by Chudinov in his last fight. If true you can't blame them for a fairly easy first defence. Not a complete joke of a fight either, but he's a guy Andy really should beat.

I'm gonna expand on the RTE stuff later when I've a chance to write in more detail, but your post is just a little odd. NDam won an IBF eliminator, so he is Jermain Taylor's mandatory (Taylor fights Sergio Mora in February), so there is little to no chance he'll give that up to fight Lee (WBO champion). Not only is N'Dam more dangerous than Lee's likely opponent, but the reverse is also true, so it makes zero sense (considering it's not a big money fight) for either man.

Word is Lee might be defending against Patrick Nielson, who was beat by Chudinov in his last fight. If true you can't blame them for a fairly easy first defence. Not a complete joke of a fight either, but he's a guy Andy really should beat.

I'd be disappointed with Nielson to be honest. If your not going to fight a real contender at least fight Billy Joe Saunders and promote of the Ireland vs England rivalry

I'd be disappointed with Nielson to be honest. If your not going to fight a real contender at least fight Billy Joe Saunders and promote of the Ireland vs England rivalry

Saunders team have obviously agreed to postpone the mandatory, as the situation as I understand it was Andy had 90 days to agree a fight with Saunders (from the day he won the belt) otherwise purse bids would be called.
    If it is Nielson we can expect either Dublin (The Point/Marketing Name #201) or New York, with the latter possibly being slightly more likely due to the money it could generate.
    Should that transpire and Andy wins, we'd likely get Lee vs Saunders at Thomond Park in the summer. Unless Warren splashes the cash and brings it to London.

So a lot let to decide, but don't expect Saunders next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement