Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Lee

Comments

Organised sports it can't be far off rugby. Jogging, dancing and personal exercise don't count as organised sports. If that is the case then me punching my punchbag should count towards boxing participation rates.

the rugby playing base would be far far bigger than boxing to be fair but as a sport it should get more press its probably our most successful sport i would imagine by a long shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

If the rumours are true, and he fights Nielson in Dublin in March, who would you like to see on the undercard?

A lot of Irish guys will be fighting on the Frampton card, Ormond has an upcoming fight in England against Flanagan also so he's out of the picture.

If Macklin decides to fight on, him v Spike O'Sullivan would be a fun undercard fight. Get Willie Casey on there, he's rarely in a boring fight. Jason Quigley? Con Sheehan Debut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

http://irsh.us/1u224de

Dublin Paddy's Day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

He should fight Saunders. It would be a much bigger fight for around paddy's day, The fight promotes itself. Ireland vs England Two guys from Itinerant backgrounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

efb wrote: »
    http://irsh.us/1u224de

Dublin Paddy's Day

It doesn't say the 17th, it says either 14th or 21st. If boxnation have the rights for Kovalev / Pascal it has a better chance of being on the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Talk of Haymon pursuing a date with Lee for Peter Quillin now. Makes sense. It's the sort of fight Haymon goes for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Henno30 wrote: »
    Talk of Haymon pursuing a date with Lee for Peter Quillin now. Makes sense. It's the sort of fight Haymon goes for.

Well it is and it isn't. Certainly it's a winnable fight for Quillin, but it's not without danger. They won't get options on Andy either, well Andy will stick with Booth as manager and he likely wouldn't take Haymon as an 'adviser', nor would they be likely to leave Di Bella as promoter. Haymon usually only allows that sort of scenario when his man is guaranteed to win.
    On top of that Quillin is a little down the pecking order, Saunders is mandatory and there's no way Haymon is likely to be able to fix that, and also it'd take big money for Andy to be convinced to risk his title against Quillen in a voluntary, although Haymon is capable of getting big money for fights so that is plausible.

Overall I just don't see it, but stranger things have happened.
    Which fights would you have liked to have seen televised that weren't in 2014?

Primarily the ones that never occurred as a direct result.
    When RTE started to broadcast the sport in 2005 we've had the following amount of shows in the Republic:
    2005- 6 shows (3 broadcast on RTE+ 1 German card shown)
    2006- 5 shows (3 broadcast on RTE+ 1 fight shown from Italy)
    2007-10 shows (6 broadcast on RTE)
    2008-14 shows (*7 broadcast on RTE, 1 on TV3, 1 on Sky)
    2009-12 shows (4 broadcast on RTE, 1 on Setanta)
    2010- 10 shows (6 broadcast on RTE)
    2011- 4 shows (**1 broadcast on RTE, 1 on TG4)
    2012- 2 shows (1 broadcast on TG4)
    2013- 4 shows (0 broadcast on tv)
    2014- 3 shows (1 broadcast on Sky)

Bernard Dunne got a viewing figure of 300,000 for a delayed showing (at 00:30 at night) of an 8 rounder vs an Argentine journeyman, in Italy with no other bouts shown, and it had been possible to watch the bout on a live stream. Dunne was a good amateur but wasn't an Olympian and never won a medal at a major championships. He was built up very well by RTE and Brian Peters and became a star in this country as a result. With the huge amount of talented fighters we have now, particularly prospects coming up, would it not make sense to build someone like that again ?

As a result of RTE's lack of coverage there has been far less boxing in the Republic overall. Our bigger name fighters have had to go to the US & UK to continue their careers (and some of the smaller ones too), meanwhile the rest of the fighters on the island have had to survive almost exclusively from shows in Belfast.
    If people think its really a case of boxing not being that popular and RTE just catering to what is popular, then why was there so many shows and so many televised shows just a few years ago ?
    Do people believe its coincidental that RTE paid for 6 shows the year before Ryle Nugent became head of RTE sport, yet haven't paid for a single show in the 4+ years since ?

*Setanta also showed the Dunne vs Martinez card along with RTE

**RTE didn't pay for this show, and production costs for RTE were paid for by the promoter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Big Ears wrote: »
    Do people believe its coincidental that RTE paid for 6 shows the year before Ryle Nugent became head of RTE sport, yet haven't paid for a single show in the 4+ years since ?

RTE are desperate these days. Shocking how someone the calibre of John Joe Nevin a former 2 time Olympian and sliver medallist doesn't get a least one show a year on RTE is beyond me.

I don't have any faith in Nugent. Coming in I thought he was a rugby man but they lost the rights of European rugby to Sky and then the lowly priced Pro12 to Sky & TG4. Even part of GAA rights are lost to Sky. Unfortunately there is no hope for boxing moving forward. Too much money was spent gaining the rights to both World Cup & European champs in soccer which are always shown on BBC & ITV for the RTE to care about too much else. Even when Rob Heffernan won a gold at the World Championships in 2013, one of very few golds Ireland ever won, RTE was no where to be seen.

pac_man wrote: »
    I just hope that fight doesn't happen. It typifies all that's wrong with boxing. Anyway what happened to Saunders?

Agree, Quillan should be ranked low in the WBO as his reasons for vacating are rubbish, especially given the promoter won the purse bid.

Saunders? Patrick Neilsen has over the weekend been thrown into the mix. Its up to Warren really, he holds the TV (I heavily presume its going to be on boxnation) and is Saunders promoter but I would not be surprised at all if it is Neilsen in the three arena and Billy Joe Saunders in Thomond Park, Saunders is the bigger fight.

• Site Banned Posts: 15 Hinomaru

Why did Quillin vacate the title?

I would also like to see Lee V Saunders. It would be great to have it in Thomond Park. An event like this that would large crowds for Ireland and England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RTE are desperate these days. Shocking how someone the calibre of John Joe Nevin a former 2 time Olympian and sliver medallist doesn't get a least one show a year on RTE is beyond me.

RTE going to pay to watch him beat complete nobodies? He won a medal, great. That is no way a guarantee that he now deserves air time on Ireland's prime channel. Judging by his performances in his fights so far I don't think he'd garner much support for being aired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

TBF Walsh B I usually agree with the majority of your posts but I don't with your defense of RTÉ here.

The viewing numbers in the Dunne era were pretty big TBF. I feel myself they are being shortsighted here. If they backed just one fighter for say 4 fights in 2015 with the wealth of talent north and south of the border filling undercards it would be a huge ratings winner for them.

I do understand the production costs are prohibitive for them but surely if they and the relevant promoter knock their heads together they can come up with something.

There is and always has been a thirst amongst the public for live Sat night boxing and I think previous numbers prove this. I'm not saying we have a country of hardcore boxing fans, we don't but the average man will tune in on free to air tv if the cards are advertised and promoted properly on. Build it on the day of a Rugby international for example. They don't show any Sat night sport so imo there is a gap in the market for it

rebelomar wrote: »
    TBF Walsh B I usually agree with the majority of your posts but I don't with your defense of RTÉ here.

The viewing numbers in the Dunne era were pretty big TBF. I feel myself they are being shortsighted here. If they backed just one fighter for say 4 fights in 2015 with the wealth of talent north and south of the border filling underparts it would be a huge ratings winner for them.

I do understand the production costs are prohibitive for them but surely if they and the relevant promoter knock their heads together they can come up with something.

There is and always has been a thirst amongst the public for live Sat night boxing and I think previous numbers prove this. I'm not saying we have a country of hardcore boxing fans, we don't but the average man will tune in on free to air tv if the cards are advertised and promoted properly on. Build it on the day of a Rugby international for example. They don't show any Sat night sport so imo there is a gap in the market for it

Dunne had Peter's backing him, and Dunne had a little bit of swagger and personality about him. Built up and managed very well. From Dublin and fought in Dublin. Got a big fan base behind him. Everything clicked at that time for Dunne, and hence RTE got involved. It made financial sense for them at that time.

I cannot see anything at this time, or recently to warrant RTE putting money into our pro fighters. Who is there with the personality and talent to really warrant such an investment?

RTE have shown a fair deal of amateur boxing over the years, and always air the national senior finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/andy-lee-set-for-stateside-title-defence-658960.html
    Andy Lee will defend his WBO Middleweight title in New York in April, according to a report in today’s Irish Daily Star.

Really hope he knocks Quillin out.

Quillin is a disgrace.

walshb wrote: »
    Dunne had Peter's backing him, and Dunne had a little bit of swagger and personality about him. Built up and managed very well. From Dublin and fought in Dublin. Got a big fan base behind him. Everything clicked at that time for Dunne, and hence RTE got involved. It made financial sense for them at that time.

I cannot see anything at this time, or recently to warrant RTE putting money into our pro fighters. Who is there with the personality and talent to really warrant such an investment?

RTE have shown a fair deal of amateur boxing over the years, and always air the national senior finals.

TG4 have aired them the last two years and air the finals tomorrow night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Ireland's prime channel.

You say this like they've got some sort of competition...

efb wrote: »
    TG4 have aired them the last two years and air the finals tomorrow night

That's correct. I had meant to edit my post.

You say this like they've got some sort of competition...

They do. Plenty of competition with TV3/TG4 and now UTV Ireland. That's just the home competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'd love to be wrong about this, but even with the master strategist, Booth, in his corner, i can't see Andy cutting it at the highest level in 2014/2015, because if you're an elite level you should not be getting hit flush by a limited fighter in a six round bout.
    Impossible to be wrong about this. Lee is an amateur in a pro game.

I've just read the first 2 posts in this thread. Ouch.

Hoping things improve.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I've just read the first 2 posts in this thread. Ouch.

Hoping things improve.

In your opinion, is Lee top level elite like Nacho mentioned?

In your opinion, is Lee top level elite like Nacho mentioned?

Well he has the medal to prove it. ;)

Rightwing wrote: »
    Well he has the medal to prove it. ;)

He has a belt. Not the main ones.
    But im happy:D

He has a belt. Not the main ones.
    But im happy:D

I reckon Lee is happy too. Quillan gave up his title instead of fighting Korborov. Big pay day for Lee.

That's correct. I had meant to edit my post.

And TG4 show all the fights, and don't dictate the fight card - big fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Any more news about this New York fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

finbarrk wrote: »
    Any more news about this New York fight?

http://www.boxing247.com/press-boxing/andy-lee-billy-joe-saunders-wbo-call-for-purse-bids/37815
    WBO have called for purse bids for Lee vs Saunders so it doesn't look like the Quillan fight will be going ahead. Frank Warren was saying the same on Ringside last night.

menoscemo wrote: »
    http://www.boxing247.com/press-boxing/andy-lee-billy-joe-saunders-wbo-call-for-purse-bids/37815
    WBO have called for purse bids for Lee vs Saunders so it doesn't look like the Quillan fight will be going ahead. Frank Warren was saying the same on Ringside last night.

Dan Rafael has said on Twitter Lee would vacate the title but why would he do it. Can see an agreement being reached between Booth and Warren.

menoscemo wrote: »

Good. Fu*k that clown Quillin. He's an embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Good. Fu*k that clown Quillin. He's an embarrassment.

Fair enough but I'd like to see andy get a big payday, he might not get another opportunity for that kind of cash...

• Advertisement

Fair enough but I'd like to see andy get a big payday, he might not get another opportunity for that kind of cash...

Yeah, I'm with you there.

But I also think that Lee is an intelligent and articulate guy, especially by boxing's standards, and maybe a big domestic world title fight is what he needs to set up a media career for when he hangs them up.

People like him, and he's very capable when it comes to discussing fighters and the sport itself. The credibility that comes with having a few high profile fights was all that was missing. He'll have that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Yeah he'd be a very good pundit when he retires, speaks well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Andy is all his professional life trying to be world champion,believe me he is not going to vacate.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Andy Lee to defend his WBO title against Peter Quillin in New York on April 11th. Billy Joe Saunders has agreed to step aside to allow the fight to happen.

Whats going on here, the lad vacates passing up a big money defence and is now back fighting for his old title for what you would have to think is much smaller money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Whats going on here, the lad vacates passing up a big money defence and is now back fighting for his old title for what you would have to think is much smaller money.

Protecting the 0

Deiseboy01 wrote: »

Roc Nation won the purse bid for the Quillin-Korobov fight. They're financed by Jay-Z, who's married to Beyonce, who sued Qullin's manager Al Haymon for fraud in 2011.

So Haymon doesn't want to work with Roc Nation, and told Quillin that the fight wasn't happening. Quillin did what he was told and vacated the belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Roc Nation won the purse bid for the Quillin-Korobov fight. They're financed by Jay-Z, who's married to Beyonce, who sued Qullin's manager Al Haymon for fraud in 2011.

So Haymon doesn't want to work with Roc Nation, and told Quillin that the fight wasn't happening. Quillin did what he was told and vacated the belt.

Boxing is a f*cking joke at times.

Can't help but feel that everyone wins bar the fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Surprised Andy didn't try taking on an easier fight before Quillin, come home fill the o2, show off the belt..

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Garcia and Peterson on the same card. Barclays Centre sat 11 April

• Advertisement

Garcia and Peterson on the same card. Barclays Centre sat 11 April

Have to say I really like this move by Haymon to put boxing back on free view in the US.

Has to put competative cards out, builds boxing back up, creates new stars etc. Great move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Tickets booked to see the Champ!

$143 for 2 in section 117. No bad seats in the house really. Was there for the Malignaggi fight and enjoyed the venue. Incredible facilities.

I fear for Andy Lee, you always feel he needs a bit of luck. He struggled in both of his previous fights.

He didn't struggle at all in his last fight. The first decent exchange and Andy was victorious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I had Korobov up 4-1 going into the 6th...although some rounds were close, Korobov was just more efficient with his punches. I wouldn't say Lee was struggling though. His win against Jackson was of course very lucky but that's Boxing. I do agree though I will be very impressed if he beats Quillin. Very tough fight for Andy.

I had Korobov up 4-1 going into the 6th...although some rounds were close, Korobov was just more efficient with his punches. I wouldn't say Lee was struggling though. His win against Jackson was of course very lucky but that's Boxing. I do agree though I will be very impressed if he beats Quillin. Very tough fight for Andy.

It was useless fight from Korobov from start to finish. Lee wasn't much better until he landed the first clean shot almost half way through. 4-1 or whatever score you give it, neither man looked great.

Korobov looked nervous and tentative, and rightly so as it turned out. But he was still winning the rounds without doing much. Quillin will do the same and be even more cautious. Andy will have to hit another home run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Here we go again...

How can a trained boxer who is watching his opponent approach him, times and throws and lands the punch he intentionally threw at the approaching opponent, be considered "lucky"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

megadodge wrote: »
    Here we go again...

How can a trained boxer who is watching his opponent approach him, times and throws and lands the punch he intentionally threw at the approaching opponent, be considered "lucky"?

Lee was very lucky not to be knocked out himself by Jackson. He was down in the first, lost the other three rounds and was getting a beating. Even up until the KO punch he was tagged and stumbled into the ropes. Sure, great shot, probably the best punch of his career and great skill is needed to throw that punch but Lee was getting an absolute whooping against Jackson, nobody can deny that. To KO him point blank like that, especially being very close himself to being KO'd is pretty damn lucky. If it was Jackson who threw that punch, nobody was consider it a lucky punch because he was dominating...he was closing the show early, but Lee literally had no highlights from that fight except one punch...again very lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Lee was very lucky not to be knocked out himself by Jackson. He was down in the first, lost the other three rounds and was getting a beating. Even up until the KO punch he was tagged and stumbled into the ropes. Sure, great shot, probably the best punch of his career and great skill is needed to throw that punch but Lee was getting an absolute whooping against Jackson, nobody can deny that. To KO him point blank like that, especially being very close himself to being KO'd is pretty damn lucky. If it was Jackson who threw that punch, nobody was consider it a lucky punch because he was dominating...he was closing the show early, but Lee literally had no highlights from that fight except one punch...again very lucky.

Well, I believe very much in the philosophy that you create your own luck.

My favourite saying is "Success is all a matter of luck - ask any failure".

• Advertisement

It was certainly thrown in a lucky and desperation sort of sense. Nothing really planned or calculated. Just swing and hope. It worked.

Advertisement