Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting out of a lease early - buying our own place

Options
  • 27-11-2013 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Looks like we're buying our own place, and will need to vacate our rented apartment. We are only a few months into the yearly contract though. How to best approach the agent to to extricate ourselves?

I understand that in such situations we can offer to reassign/sublet, and if they refuse, the contract is dissolved. If the don't refuse though, can we just stick an ad on daft, prescreen the candidates and present them to the agent for their approval?

Or can we suggest to cover their relisting fee if they simply release us? It's a really good place and should rent quickly (anyone here in the market for a huge sunny 2bed apartment in SCD, available some time in January?).

Our agent seems to be a decent guy and we were perfect tenants - wondering how to sell this idea best to him? We would just prefer the least amount of hassle and not to lose (the whole of) the deposit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Talk to the agent first I suppose and see what they say. If its in a good area rents might actually be on the rise, so it might be worth their while letting you out of the lease early if they can get more from a new tenant.

Reassignment is the other option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

djimi wrote: »
    Talk to the agent first I suppose and see what they say. If its in a good area rents might actually be on the rise, so it might be worth their while letting you out of the lease early if they can get more from a new tenant.

Reassignment is the other option.

Ask to sublet and then stick an extra hundred in the rent to give you some security.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Thomas D wrote: »
    Ask to sublet and then stick an extra hundred in the rent to give you some security.

your not legally entitled to sublet and I very much doubt the LL will allow it.

You have been told this before ....

D3PO wrote: »

You can ask. If he refuses you can cancel the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Then they are the landlord. Will have to pay tax on the income, and will have no expenses to write off. Might get stung with a tenant paying no rent. For 1200 quid a year it's not worth the hassle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Even if the lease is for a fixed term, if the landlord refuses an assignment or a sub-let the tenant may serve a Notice of Termination giving 28 days notice and leave.

Ted1 is absolutely correct in that if the OP sublets, he has all the hassle of being a landlord, its responsibilities and obligations. Especially if they had a tenant who is late with the rent or damages the place and then uses the deposit as the last month's rent. They could be in for a large loss, as well as paying the mortgage on their new place.

that's incorrect.

if he refused to REASSIGN the lease you can leave. You cannot leave if he refuses SUBLETTING.

odds_on wrote: »
    Even if the lease is for a fixed term, if the landlord refuses an assignment or a sub-let the tenant may serve a Notice of Termination giving 28 days notice and leave.

Not correct if he refuses reassignment you can leave if he refuses to sublet you cannot.

Not correct if he refuses reassignment you can leave if he refuses to sublet you cannot.

Im pretty sure that you can.

BOOYYAHHHH!

Found out again.

This is actually the full heading of one of the parts of the act.
    Tenant may terminate where consent to assignment or subletting withheld.
    (2) If a landlord of a dwelling refuses his or her consent to an assignment or sub-letting of the tenancy concerned by the tenant, the tenant may serve a notice of termination in respect of the tenancy and terminate it accordingly.

Please don't bother quoting from an act that you know nothing about.

• Advertisement

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/assignment-and-subletting/
    As a tenant, whilst you cannot assign or sub-let without the landlord's written consent, you may terminate the tenancy if they refuse your request. It is advisable to request a refusal in writing.

that's incorrect.

if he refused to REASSIGN the lease you can leave. You cannot leave if he refuses SUBLETTING.
    Section 186 of the RTA 2004:
    If a landlord of a dwelling refuses his or her consent to an
    assignment or sub-letting
    of the tenancy concerned by the tenant,
    the tenant may serve a notice of termination in respect of the tenancy
    and terminate it accordingly.

This is actually the full heading of one of the parts of the act.

If you are going to quote the RTA then link to what you are quoting. Otherwise people will just assume you are making stuff up...

that's incorrect.

Liked by The Conductor? And they're a mod for the accommodation forum? Really, mods should know the basics of the Residential Tenancies Act.

If you are going to quote the RTA then link to what you are quoting. Otherwise people will just assume you are making stuff up...

Listen lad. Don't bother putting up links to threshold who get stuff wrong regularly. Have you ever used google. Mouse click, ctrl c, google, ctrl v. ACT.

Liked by The Conductor? And they're a mod for the accommodation forum? Really, mods should know the basics of the Residential Tenancies Act.
    A Mod of a forum does not need to know anything about the forum other than the rules fro that forum.

odds_on wrote: »
    A Mod of a forum does not need to know anything about the forum other than the rules fro that forum.

Fair enough, I just assumed the most clued in people would be chosen given how much people argue over tenancy basics.

Fair enough, I just assumed the most clued in people would be chosen given how much people argue over tenancy basics.
    Never assume - it only makes an ASS out of U and ME - so I was taught some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The tenant can issue a notice of termination, by giving the appropriate number of days notice, if their request to assign or sublet is denied. The tenant is still responsible for the rent until the end of the notice period.

Not sure whether that's what you meant, but a lease can't be "cancelled".

The tenant can issue a notice of termination, by giving the appropriate number of days notice, if their request to assign or sublet is denied. The tenant is still responsible for the rent until the end of the notice period.

Not sure whether that's what you meant, but a lease can't be "cancelled".

http://thesaurus.com/browse/terminate

• Advertisement

...and? it's your loose use of terminology, not mine.

...and? it's your loose use of terminology, not mine.

Do you know what a synonym is? The legal act uses the word "terminate". In my more casual posting I used the word cancel. They are synonyms. See? Will I explain it again?

Do you know what a synonym is? The legal act uses the word "terminate". In my more casual posting I used the word cancel. They are synonyms. See? Will I explain it again?

I was just ensuring that you, and anybody else who may be reading the thread, were made aware that you would need to issue a "notice of termination" rather than cancelling the lease, a term which has no legal standing under the act.

It's important to get these little details correct, don't you agree?

I was just ensuring that you, and anybody else who may be reading the thread, were made aware that you would need to issue a "notice of termination" rather than cancelling the lease, a term which has no legal standing under the act.

It's important to get these little details correct, don't you agree?

Not really. Notice of cancellation works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Thanks for all your input guys... We probably would not go with the subletting option due to its high hassle factor but we may tackle reassigning if need be!
    How much is an ad on Daft, do you happen to know?

mhge wrote: »
    I think legally he has the right to approve/reject our candidates. We need to provide one he'd be happy with.

You'd be getting to the point where he would refuse reassignment before even seeing anyone. If the reject anyone that is the same as refusing reassignment.

You'd be getting to the point where he would refuse reassignment before even seeing anyone. If the reject anyone that is the same as refusing reassignment.

No its not. They can approve reassignment in principle, but can, within reason, refuse who you bring along. Only if they were rejecting suitable candidates and making it obvious that they had no interest in actually letting the assignment take place could you then take action.

No its not. They can approve reassignment in principle, but can, within reason, refuse who you bring along. Only if they were rejecting suitable candidates and making it obvious that they had no interest in actually letting the assignment take place could you then take action.

The act says nothing about selectively approving reassignment.

You think that the landlord is obliged to accept the first person that the tenant brings along?

• Advertisement

You think that the landlord is obliged to accept the first person that the tenant brings along?

No. He has a choice. He can refuse reassignment, terminate the tenancy and he can look after all of the letting or he can let the tenant look for a replacement. He can't do a bit of both.

Advertisement