Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level English, is it important ??

• 27-11-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Any general idea of what courses require HL English
    As I do not plan to count and study that much for English for my LC points and I have no interest to have a career in anything related to English(drama,literature,languate etc.)
    So doing ordinary level will this have any effects, I am keeping my choices open to all courses apart any English related.

I do
    English H
    Maths H
    Biology H
    Chemistry H
    Business H
    Italian H
    Economics H
    Ag.Science H

I just did my Christmas test and I say I just scraped a D :( , but that is because of how low my interest is for the subject I did not study at all and I mean at all for it.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

I dropped to ordinary level at the start of this year. I had no interest, did no study and was getting in the 50's and 60's. Let's just say I'm getting A's and B's in OL without doing anything. I haven't even read the books I write on, just summaries.;)

The questions are so easy, poems are printed on the paper. If you think you are going to drop in the end you may as well do it now. My biggest problem with HL was the amount of homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭iCrazzy

Days 298 wrote: »
    I dropped to ordinary level at the start of this year. I had no interest, did no study and was getting in the 50's and 60's. Let's just say I'm getting A's and B's in OL without doing anything. I haven't even read the books I write on, just summaries.;)

The questions are so easy, poems are printed on the paper. If you think you are going to drop in the end you may as well do it now. My biggest problem with HL was the amount of homework.

Yeah, then I will have time to concentrate on my other subjects.
    But I want to know about courses wise before I go into any conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Apart from journalism and a couple of others like that you don't need it. I've always felt english as a subject is overhyped and there is often a bit of a stigma towards doing ordinary level english. However while most people can pass the subject because of the fact that they speak it, it is very difficult to score highly in if you aren't passionate about it. The amount of study you have to do for it is completely disproportionate to the amount of marks awarded as well. For example, some people would never practice comprehensions but would spend hours and hours studying poetry. The shocking thing is they are worth the same amount of marks. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

I decided to drop down to OL English at the end of fifth year as, like you, I had zero interest in it and had no intention of ever counting it in my LC points. I am also doing Ag Science outside of school so although I was pretty good at English, it wasn't worth the hassle. People were generally very surprised as most people doing an extra subject drop to OL Irish/Maths but I have a far better chance of getting an A1 in either of those than in English.
    That was my reasoning behind it anyway. People will generally look at you like you've sprouted two heads but now I'm delighted I've dropped down. The standard is quite low in pass, I feel like Shakespeare in there - especially when most of my class are foreign exchange students :D

English OL
    Irish HL
    Maths HL
    French HL
    Biology HL
    Chemistry HL
    Physics HL
    Ag Science HL

Advertisement