Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pub in Lucan

• 27-11-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

The old butchers - When is it due to open?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I was wondering what was going on at that site. I'd seen the workers there the last few mornings when I passed.

Please let it be a craft beer pub!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Looking like a cafe-bar. I live in The Square backing onto it so have been watching the progress for a while now. After a bit of digging this is the latest version of the planning permission:

Revisions to previous grant of permission (Ref. SD05A/0065) to provide a licensed premises with a cafe bar and a bistro bar on the lower floors and a restaurant on the upper floor and associated signage at the front and rear including: (a) the omission of the residential and basement car park at the rear and the provision of a surface car park in its place including the demolition of the existing structures to the rear; (b) the omission of the first floor residential element within the existing structure and the provision of a restaurant in its place; (c) modifications to the existing extension to the front to form a new entrance/shop front at pavement level with outdoor seating area in lieu of the previously proposed conservatory; (d) an enlarged 2 storey extension (206sq.m.) to the rear with a bistro bar and entrance and kitchen with service yard on the ground floor and kitchen , restaurant and roof terrace on the first floor with a wheelchair accessible lift; (e) general revisions within the existing structure in association with the cafe bar, bistro bar and restaurant.

I'd say they are pushing for opening this side of Christmas. Might be a bit ambitious though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Is this another Louis Fitzgerald pub ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

josh59 wrote: »
    Is this another Louis Fitzgerald pub ?

It is indeed, due to be opened the weekend of the 12th. And apparently it will be undercutting the prices of the other pubs in the village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Heroditas wrote: »
    I was wondering what was going on at that site. I'd seen the workers there the last few mornings when I passed.

Please let it be a craft beer pub!!

Found an ad for an Assistant Manager for a 'new gastropub' coming soon to the Lucan area.

"Applicants must have knowledge of world and craft beers"

You're in luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Fagashlil wrote: »
    It is indeed, due to be opened the weekend of the 12th. And apparently it will be undercutting the prices of the other pubs in the village.

About time someone did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It appears the pub got permission because Lucan is under-served by pubs considering the population and the recent influx. Unfortunately it's in the wrong place - the population increase is mostly in 'New Lucan' which is served only by the Penny Hill which has little or no competition in the vicinity.

There's nothing up here except the penny hill, lord lucan would be the next closest I'm thinking? Can't think where else they'd have a pub, apparently there was supposed to be one built in Adamstown when it was developed, but we all know what happens to things that were supposed to be built there! I'd still rather head down to the village to the same place I've been going since I was 17!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

The Lord Lucan is a lovely spot, no need for another if ya ask me. They do a lonely pint of Smithwicks. Sometimes as a weekend treat I'd dosh a lashing of brandy in with it and it's delish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

hmmm wrote: »
    It appears the pub got permission because Lucan is under-served by pubs considering the population and the recent influx. Unfortunately it's in the wrong place - the population increase is mostly in 'New Lucan' which is served only by the Penny Hill which has little or no competition in the vicinity.

Lord Lucan serves the new Lucan Area also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

thats deadly. fiver for a pint of heineken is heartbreaking:( although the ball alley is cheaper, kennys and most pubs seem to be charging a fiver.

but craft beers sounds nice. being trying warsteiner in the spa offy, 6 large bottles for 11 euro:eek: thats cheaper than tesco and they are chilled for you.niiiice.

edit....a coupla steiners will nurse me through the toy show tonight.....bleedin billy barry kids....singing songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Where is this going to be? I take it that it will be around the village, but where?

Where is this going to be? I take it that it will be around the village, but where?

Near where the taxi rank is at the triangle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

wooooooh........its getting closer:pac:

any updates?

Saw on their FB page sill no opening date, heard murmurs of the 21st. Floor is in, bar is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Place looks good - it was a bit of an eyesore, a derelict building right in the middle of the village.

Heard rumours today that it will be open Wednesday? Apparently furniture etc was delivered today.

Opened at 18-30 today, busy enough. Nice looking place, €4-70 for a pint. Vouchers been handed out on arrival and during the night for free drinks, fairly quick service, and according to himself a nice pint of Guinness (but not as nice as the ball alley!!)

Dare I ask what their beer selection is like?

Asides from all the usual there was I think maybe 6-8 craft beers? I remember Galway hooker, stone well cider, didn't really look too much at them as not a beer drinker! Cocktails were €6-50, only about 10 listed, but they'll make anything you want. It'll be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like on another night when everyone's not only there out of curiosity!

• Advertisement

Asides from all the usual there was I think maybe 6-8 craft beers? I remember Galway hooker, stone well cider, didn't really look too much at them as not a beer drinker! Cocktails were €6-50, only about 10 listed, but they'll make anything you want. It'll be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like on another night when everyone's not only there out of curiosity!

Were the craft beers on draft? If so -> :D

Himself says Galway hooker was on draft, but that's the only one he remembers seeing the pump for.

Ventured in last night. Good crowd there about half eight. A mix of young and old. As said above, it'll be interesting to see what it's like after Christmas once people have tried it out. Came back after grub about eleven and it was even busier.

Prices seem the same as Courtneys for shorts and mixers anyway. Had cocktails and they were €6.50 and €8.50.

It doesn't look finished, a good few cables still on show and they are not starting food until January. There is a room off to the right when you come in with a stove which wasn't lighting but will probably be nice and cosy once it is. It could also do with some more tables/chairs.

And Louis was patrolling the place himself later on.

Having a pint here now. Really love how they've done up the place.
    Very disappointed in the beer selection. Bar the usual stuff, they only have Galway Hooker and Five Lamps. Hopefully it'll improve.

EDIT: Went over to Kenny's after the pint! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Heroditas wrote: »
    Very disappointed in the beer selection. Bar the usual stuff, they only have Galway Hooker and Five Lamps.
    What's the point of opening a pub these days with a selection like that? If I wanted some fizzy bland s***e there's any number of pubs for me to choose from.

Stick a few bottles of chimay in a fridge and we'd be over straight away to try it out.

He obviously reckons the citizens of Lucan just want the fizzy bland muck.
    Funnily enough, a lot of other people were doing the same as me. I noticed a lot of people who had been in Carroll's arriving over in Kenny's as the night progressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Saw something on Facebook earlier how some people were not allowed in.
    Seems to be doing the rounds and building up likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭joi99

Opened at 18-30 today, busy enough. Nice looking place, €4-70 for a pint. Vouchers been handed out on arrival and during the night for free drinks, fairly quick service, and according to himself a nice pint of Guinness (but not as nice as the ball alley!!)

It's €5.10 for a pint so they aren't undercutting the competition it would seem.

joi99 wrote: »
    It's €5.10 for a pint so they aren't undercutting the competition it would seem.

Pint of Guinness was €4-70, probably should of specified that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ms.smurf82

Anyone know what its called?? Or been there yet?
    Was going to give it a bash this eve :)

Advertisement