Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most likely a stupid question, but...

Options
  • 27-11-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

...My wife recently took an interest in archery and has been trying to find a club near us (Ballyvourney, Cork) that she can start training with.
    My question is: would it be stupid to attempt to buy her a bow for christmas considering I have no idea if she'd prefer recurve or compound, or what her draw length or draw weight might be? I mean I could guess based on her height, or even measure her arms in her sleep, but is it better to just wait til she's spoken to some more experienced people who can give real advice?
    I suppose I already know the answer, I'm just stumped for what to get her... :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I suppose I already know the answer, I'm just stumped for what to get her... :)

I think you do know. Give her an IOU as when she finishes her training course............

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

You could always give her a voucher for one of the Archery shops? I know 3darcheryireland do vouchers. You could also get her a quiver so she has something to open on Xmas morning, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tony Ramone

Cheers for the responses guys. I think I'll have to shop around a bit so :) Maybe I can find a beginners course somewhere nearby that I can get her into in the new year (I think there might be one starting in Cork in February).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 breebutterfly

Cheers for the responses guys. I think I'll have to shop around a bit so :) Maybe I can find a beginners course somewhere nearby that I can get her into in the new year (I think there might be one starting in Cork in February).

There is an ifaf club in county Cork with a fantastic coach fiona clark. She is a level 2 ifaa coach and an archery gb coach. Definitely don't buy anything until she completes a training course.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

There's a beginners course starting in Feb in Cork City archery club I believe there are still places available. google the web site for contact details.

Don't buy anything until she finishes her course, all the equipment is supplied. Or, as you say, pay for the beginners course and give her the voucher for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Get her to do the beginners course first, then at least will be judging based on experience rather than an idea. Most beginners courses will supply the basics, tab, armguard, arrows, quiver while using the club training bows.

A basic recurve (poundage and size as advised by her course coaches) is probably the way to go initially, I have seen people go from right to left handed after a few weeks once their eye dominance sorts itself out,. also the bow that would feel right for her now will be a bit of a disappointment in a few months.

With recurve she has a choice of dabbling in several disciplines with the same basic kit, not so much with compound, which gets expensive very quickly.

I know that it is not the answer that you want while xmas shopping.

If she was further on and you had the space a target would be a good one, but don't worry archer is not a sport that laks for opportunities to buy shiny things!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Matt KSW

There is a great friendly and helpful field archery club in Riverstick cork. South Cork Field Archers, meet every sunday morning.
    https://www.facebook.com/southcorkfieldarchers?fref=ts
    Come down and have a go

Advertisement