Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless soup kitchen, Christmas Day?

Options
  • 27-11-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was just wondering if there's anywhere in Dublin that serves meals to homeless people on Christmas Day?

I've been thinking a lot lately about homeless people coming up to Christmas, and I'd like to volunteer to help serve meals on Christmas Day.
    If you know of anywhere, please let me know.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There used to be one in the RDS though not sure who runs it.

It's also worth getting in touch with the Vincent de Paul and iirc Belvedere College used to one back in my day.

Also there's a few threads in the Volunteerism forum: http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=383&query=christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Also try contact the Simon Community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ah christmas day, everybody wants to help the homeless. They are homeless the rest of the year too. Why not help them this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Focus Ireland I believe is the largest Homeless charity in Ireland

https://www.focusireland.ie/

I am sure they could point you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

adamski8 wrote: »
    Ah christmas day, everybody wants to help the homeless. They are homeless the rest of the year too. Why not help them this week!
    Christmas day may be their only certain day off? Not everyone has a cushy Monday to Friday job...!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Those charities are inundated at Christmas. They prefer help throughout the year, even on a once-off basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Contact Brother Kevin maybe?

http://homeless.ie/Capuchin_Day_Centre/Contacts_Us.html

Tend to avoid charities like SVDP and Focus who are so desperate for donations that they're executives earn 6 figure salaries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I've definatley seen something like a soup kitchen operating on Pearse St but i'm pretty sure it was Christmas eve rather than xmas day...as somebody said,contact Simon or one of the charities.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

tricky D wrote: »
    There used to be one in the RDS though not sure who runs it.
    The Knights of Columbanus run the one in the RDS but they have all their volunteers for this year.

http://christmasdaydinner.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

the_syco wrote: »
    Christmas day may be their only certain day off? Not everyone has a cushy Monday to Friday job...!
    Are you suggesting that people who work weekends dont have a weekday off then so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Are you suggesting that people who work weekends dont have a weekday off then so?

Can we stay on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jfmeto

Well I hope you will be serving the majority of the country in years to come as you seen to have the time money and effort

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

why be ignorant towards somebody looking to a good deed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Last worning folks, any more off topic posts will be infracted or banned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks for your replies everyone..The Knights of Columbus are indeed full to capacity with volunteers but I found an organisation near me that is volunteering to serve meals on Christmas Day to people in need, so I'll do that.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

The one close to Pearse Street is crosscare at the back of Holles Street Hospital, not sure of their opening times but I know they do it all year around so I can't imagine them closing Christmas Day, could be completely wrong though. You could also try the Salvation Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

Focus ireland on Eustace st are def open Xmas day and I imagine most if the others are as well, there's the capuchin fathers, little penny dinners, merchants quay, that's all I can think of at the moment. Fair play to you for offering to give up your own Xmas to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

My mate is organising an "event" on Christmas Eve, in Bradog Youth Centre on Granby Row beside Dominick Street, they have the hall rented from 10am until 4pm. Plan is to get a stockpile of clothes, etc... together and the usual tea, coffee, soup, etc... If anyone wants more details throw me a PM sure. They're looking or donations of clothes, etc...

Advertisement