Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside a neighbours

Options
  • 27-11-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Have a house that has no driveway on it. Its an old house and is the only one on the road not to have a drive. We can park one car outside ours on the footpath and up to recently we parked the 2nd car outside our neighbours and partly across another neighbours with no problems. The house beside the neighbours was sold and the new people in it have 2 cars and a driveway but will leave 1 of their cars on the footpath at the neighbours sometimes parked in front of our car across their drive. last night i was getting out of car when they pulled up just in front of me and were parked across their drive. As i was going into my garden i heard a voice calling "here" and looked around was the new neighbour who ive never met. Went out expecting somthing along the lines of "hi im xxxxxx in number **" but instead got a "yer parking across myehouse and I can park me car properly". I asked could he not park in the drive as theres no where else to park our 2nd car and was told that if he cant park in front of his house he has to park down outside another neighours. Am I being unreasonable parking across someone elses house or is my neighbour just being an a-hole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

neris wrote: »
    Have a house that has no driveway on it. Its an old house and is the only one on the road not to have a drive. We can park one car outside ours on the footpath and up to recently we parked the 2nd car outside our neighbours and partly across another neighbours with no problems. The house beside the neighbours was sold and the new people in it have 2 cars and a driveway but will leave 1 of their cars on the footpath at the neighbours sometimes parked in front of our car across their drive. last night i was getting out of car when they pulled up just in front of me and were parked across their drive. As i was going into my garden i heard a voice calling "here" and looked around was the new neighbour who ive never met. Went out expecting somthing along the lines of "hi im xxxxxx in number **" but instead got a "yer parking across myehouse and I can park me car properly". I asked could he not park in the drive as theres no where else to park our 2nd car and was told that if he cant park in front of his house he has to park down outside another neighours. Am I being unreasonable parking across someone elses house or is my neighbour just being an a-hole.
    Are you blocking his drive?
    A Public road is fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its a public road; you can park where ever you like (assuming no yellow lines, junction etc). People assume they own the road in front of their house but they dont.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's an offence to park on a footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if your parking across his drive hes right to be annoyed if your parking on the road outside his house but not blocking his drive you are not.

what exactly do you mean your parked on the footpath ? That's illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

It's a tough one, no one owns the road but there is always the idea that if it's outside your house then it's your spot, if it's outside a house that sits between you and this guy it's going to come down to who gets their first, i had a similar case, if i went out for 5 mins the neighbour would run out and move his car into the spot, it can lead to a lot of bitching, real pain in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It's a tough one, no one owns the road but there is always the idea that if it's outside your house then it's your spot,

Its not a tough one at all. Its a public road. Anyone who thinks that they own, or have any claim over, any part of a public road needs a serious reality check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Guy across from me used to have anything up to 11 cars (bit of an Arthur Daly), asked me if I minded if he parked on street outside my house.

Told him I couldnt stop him, but I would appreciate a bit of respect and not leave anything there for weeks as no one would dare park outside his should a space become free.

So he didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's an offence to park on a footpath.
    D3PO wrote: »

You guys ever drive down Clonliffe Road? At the Ballybough end this is rife! I don't know how they get away with it, except someone must be turning a blind eye. Probably no rear alley/garage access or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

D3PO wrote: »
    if your parking across his drive hes right to be annoyed if your parking on the road outside his house but not blocking his drive you are not.

4 wheels on the footpath. Footpath is twice as wide as a normal footpath so plenty of room for pedestrians. Im not blocking his driveway, if he parked in front of me hed be blocking his own drive. His drive only has his other halfs car in it and the drive is long enough to fit 3 cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

4 wheels on the footpath. Footpath is twice as wide as a normal footpath so plenty of room for pedestrians. Im not blocking his driveway, if he parked in front of me hed be blocking his own drive. His drive only has his other halfs car in it and the drive is long enough to fit 3 cars

It is still an offence and could get you a ticket even if the footpath is 33ft wide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

it doesn't matter how wide it is , the path its illegal to park on it.

if your not blocking his drive then, its a free for all. he is allowed to block his own drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Could you fit a driveway? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would generally recommend when looking for accommodation that you source a place that suits you. In your case you seem to have found a property with no parking but you have 2 cars, leading to parking on footpaths and outside people's properties. When I was apartment hunting I had to pay extra to find a place with a parking space as that suited my needs.

In many estates people (wrongly) assume that the space in front of their house is theirs. Where parking is not an issue there is usually an unwritten, non-verbal understanding that everyone keeps to their own driveway and own house. This leads to incidents like the one that is happening to you. So to answer your question, Yes you can park in front of other people's houses but unfortunately you are going to annoy them by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Victor wrote: »
    Could you fit a driveway? :)

Yep but theres a big bus shelter across the front of our garden and adshel/clear channel refuse to move it we could squeeze cars in between the pillar on the gate and bus shelter but be dangerous getting back out onto road. Were not in an estate but on a busy main road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yep but theres a big bus shelter across the front of our garden and adshel/clear channel refuse to move it we could squeeze cars in between the pillar on the gate and bus shelter but be dangerous getting back out onto road. Were not in an estate but on a busy main road footpath.
    FYP
    Seriously, you don't park on a footpath.
    Initiate a planning application to put a driveway on your property.

Advertisement