Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best operating system >?

Options
  • 27-11-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I have a old sony vaio it still has windows 2000 on it, its quiet crap but said id throw something new on it and just mess around with it instead of throwing it out so i was wondering what would be the best operating system for it its has the perfect minimum requirements for xp but i was wondering if theres any other OS that would run smoother then Xp i was looking at chromium but that actually need a fair bit of power to run so thats definitely not an option.
    I like ubuntu that also needs more power than the laptop has,

System Info:

Pentium 700 MHz
    RAM 128 MB
    hard disk : 20 GB
    Display VGA 1024 x 768

Picture:
    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Sony-VAIO-PCG-FX105K-14-1-700-MHz-Laptop-PC-Spares-or-Repair-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjA1/$(KGrHqRHJCwE-lKk!5FbBPrRhfY0zg~~60_35.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

28064212 wrote: »

Thanks i was wondering would anyone know if this laptop supports usb booting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 odinreln

You could try out a few options,

Pupy linux, either legacy or wary could work for you. or xubuntu (minimum install at a push). or as already mentioned, damn small linux.

Sometimes you wont get networking up and running at first so you may have to tinker around with drivers, make sure you have your laptops cds handy, or find out what you have and download them and burn/ubs them before doing the install.

You can get Plop Boot manager to boot from usb if your cmos doesn't have the option.

I experimented with an old pentium 2 with slightly more ram than your specs and after trying a lot, it was just easier to install xp. Although I'm using it for one single task which it works fine at (hosting a BBS), I still need to source more ram. so if one wanted to run it as a main or at least get enough out of it as an alt, working to get a low spec linux on it would be the better option. If you just want to experiment and have it as a side project maybe try going without a gui, as it would run near perfect without the graphical drag.

If your feeling extra experimental, install FreeDOS, and just play old DOS games on it : )

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

RAM will be the limiting factor there. No question. 128MB is not enough to do anything with modern browsers (for example).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'd try xubuntu but as above 128MB RAM these days is extremely low. Puppy Linux may be the best bet. Sure phones have 9 times that amount of RAM these days! Even with a lightweight Linux distro on board don't expect the machine to be up to much for web browsing. With all the "fancy" web features these days that machine will probably crawl to a halt before it gets a chance to render most websites :)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

I would recommend TinyXP, Used it many times on virtual machines, it's small and handy. :D

Applause wrote: »
    I would recommend TinyXP, Used it many times on virtual machines, it's small and handy. :D

Not really as it's going to be EOL next year. Anyways even XP with everything reduced will be slow on 128MB RAM, the service packs really bloated it

Nick

odinreln wrote: »
    You could try out a few options,

Pupy linux, either legacy or wary could work for you. or xubuntu (minimum install at a push). or as already mentioned, damn small linux.

Sometimes you wont get networking up and running at first so you may have to tinker around with drivers, make sure you have your laptops cds handy, or find out what you have and download them and burn/ubs them before doing the install.

You can get Plop Boot manager to boot from usb if your cmos doesn't have the option.

I experimented with an old pentium 2 with slightly more ram than your specs and after trying a lot, it was just easier to install xp. Although I'm using it for one single task which it works fine at (hosting a BBS), I still need to source more ram. so if one wanted to run it as a main or at least get enough out of it as an alt, working to get a low spec linux on it would be the better option. If you just want to experiment and have it as a side project maybe try going without a gui, as it would run near perfect without the graphical drag.

If your feeling extra experimental, install FreeDOS, and just play old DOS games on it : )
    Khannie wrote: »
    RAM will be the limiting factor there. No question. 128MB is not enough to do anything with modern browsers (for example).
    yoyo wrote: »
    I'd try xubuntu but as above 128MB RAM these days is extremely low. Puppy Linux may be the best bet. Sure phones have 9 times that amount of RAM these days! Even with a lightweight Linux distro on board don't expect the machine to be up to much for web browsing. With all the "fancy" web features these days that machine will probably crawl to a halt before it gets a chance to render most websites :)

Nick
    Applause wrote: »

Odinreln: I like the look of xUbuntu going to download it and see what its like in VitualBox but as said it probably won't run smoothly, really like FreeDos i actually might have a good at installing it on to the laptop looks fun :)

Applause: I actually never heard of TinyXP its quiet cool : ), would you give me a good link to it i cant find one and don't want to download anything dodgey :L.

Another Question: I was using Virtual Box to run Free dos to have a go of it and see what it was like but before i could get it to work, My fans started to speed up and i didn't know why becuase i had'nt anything running so i look at my task manager my processor was running mad at round 50-60 % and my ram was at the 90-100% mark and i dont know what caused it was it a Virus or VirtualBox, I dont know but while i was looking at the task manager i noticed that a processes called svchost.exe was running mad it was using over 600,000k of my memory and there was nothing else even close to it but i always have a couple of these svchost running in my processes what are they what do they do and why do they use so much memory ?
    My computer normally, just browsing:

CPU Usage: 0-5%
    i5 3450
    Physical Memory: 20-30%
    8Gb 1333mhz

This would be the normal for my computer while just using google.
    but when using a big program like 3DS Max, Cinema4D.

CPU Usage: 30-40%
    Physical Memory: 35-40%

So there was a lot of power being used when this happened and id like no why and how.

And thank you every one for your help and opinions : ) Much Appreciated

TinyXP is illegal so no further discussion regarding it please :-)

TinyXP is illegal so no further discussion regarding it please :-)

Sorry never new ;)

• Advertisement

Odinreln: I like the look of xUbuntu going to download it and see what its like in VitualBox but as said it probably won't run smoothly, really like FreeDos i actually might have a good at installing it on to the laptop looks fun

<snip>
    Another Question: I was using Virtual Box to run Free dos to have a go of it and see what it was like but before i could get it to work, My fans started to speed up and i didn't know why becuase i had'nt anything running so i look at my task manager my processor was running mad at round 50-60 % and my ram was at the 90-100% mark and i dont know what caused it was it a Virus or VirtualBox, I dont know but while i was looking at the task manager i noticed that a processes called svchost.exe was running mad it was using over 600,000k of my memory and there was nothing else even close to it but i always have a couple of these svchost running in my processes what are they what do they do and why do they use so much memory ?
    My computer normally, just browsing:

CPU Usage: 0-5%
    i5 3450
    Physical Memory: 20-30%
    8Gb 1333mhz

This would be the normal for my computer while just using google.
    but when using a big program like 3DS Max, Cinema4D.

CPU Usage: 30-40%
    Physical Memory: 35-40%

So there was a lot of power being used when this happened and id like no why and how.

And thank you every one for your help and opinions : ) Much Appreciated

Any mention of TinyXP again will result in infractions. It's an illegal copy so of course all builds will be "dodgy".

Any mention of TinyXP again will result in infractions. It's an illegal copy so of course all builds will be "dodgy".

Sorry was only forwarding the comment i wasn't interested in that just the problem with my CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

LukeyKid wrote: »
    I have a old sony vaio it still has windows 2000 on it, its quiet crap but said id throw something new on it and just mess around with it instead of throwing it out so i was wondering what would be the best operating system for it its has the perfect minimum requirements for xp but i was wondering if theres any other OS that would run smoother then Xp i was looking at chromium but that actually need a fair bit of power to run so thats definitely not an option.
    I like ubuntu that also needs more power than the laptop has,

System Info:

Pentium 700 MHz
    RAM 128 MB
    hard disk : 20 GB
    Display VGA 1024 x 768

Picture:
    $(KGrHqRHJCwE-lKk!5FbBPrRhfY0zg~~60_35.JPG

I had the same PC years ago - slickly presented laptop - but was slow even back then.

sorry, but I think that one is for the recycling/computer museum...

But if you want to try something - these might be fun to try getting working on it...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/01/25_alternative_pc_operating_systems/

or you could use it offline as an emulator of some kind? :pac:

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    I had the same PC years ago - slickly presented laptop - but was slow even back then.

sorry, but I think that one is for the recycling/computer museum...

But if you want to try something - these might be fun to try getting working on it...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/01/25_alternative_pc_operating_systems/

or you could use it offline as an emulator of some kind? :pac:

Thanks man ill have a look :)

Advertisement