Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting plant for a christmas gift

• 27-11-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

For kris kindle this year, I got a friend of mine who loves plants and mentioned to us that that's what she would love for Christmas. She is a young horticultural student and I know she would like something kind of different like a chilli plant, coffee plant or maybe a citrus tree. I am completely clueless about plants so I asking the experts on here so please be kind to me and forgive my ignorance! She lives in a terraced house in the city and doesnt have a garden. The budget was capped at 30euro. Thanks in advance :) By the way, we live in Cork

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You can certainly buy chilli seeds in any good garden shop.

Personally I don't think you can give a cooler present that a carnivorous plant; they look cool, they're very interesting, and they'll help keep bugs down in summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How about a pot of succulents? You can get really interesting ones, hort student should love them (keep the names). They are fun to propgate and are ok both indoors and outdoors. Get a nice pot for them. Most good garden centers should be able to pot something up for you if you ask.

gx5t.jpg

If you want a lemon or chilli plant, try that big garden center out Drispsey direction. Griffins. They have a big indoor section.
    http://www.griffinsgardencentre.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 38 misshoney

Thats great, thanks for the replies. Will definitely make a trip out Dripsey direction to Griffins. The carnivorous plant is a great idea aswell, I remember her talking about getting a venus fly trap and an American beaker? Would carnivorous plants be difficult to come by?

Oh, and any ideas of prices?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Our venus flytrap was €4.99 and our Darlingtonia was €6.50, so carnivorous plants won't break the bank. They need a little care when watering (don't give them calcium ions) but are easy to keep.

Most succulents are easy to keep as well, I'm a big fan of Gasteria (ox's tongue) and pachyphytum (they have beautiful flowers). they're unusual looking, and you can also get non-green ones for a bit of variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

misshoney wrote: »
    Thats great, thanks for the replies. Will definitely make a trip out Dripsey direction to Griffins. The carnivorous plant is a great idea aswell, I remember her talking about getting a venus fly trap and an American beaker? Would carnivorous plants be difficult to come by?

Oh, and any ideas of prices?

They're pretty easy to come by, most good garden centres would have them. I had a flytrap and now have a pitcher plant, each cost about a fiver. I got them in Urban Plant Life on Cork Street.

• Advertisement
Advertisement