Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Fixing in UK

• 27-11-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

On SS News now. Police in UK have arrested 6 men, including at least 3 players, in connection wit match fixing. Asian websits used for the bets. Interesting times !!!!

No EPL team or player involved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its not PL team/player(s) involved from what I gather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Its not PL team/player(s) involved from what I gather.

Forgot to include that as the details were just coming in as I typed:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Forgot to include that as the details were just coming in as I typed:).

Ah no worries man.

I aint 100% sure what I wrote was accurate either. Just going off what im reading in twitter from some of more reliable people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Non league stuff, back in the late 90s/early 2000s Asian gangs were turning out flood lights across Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

mike65 wrote: »
    Non league stuff, back in the late 90s/early 2000s Asian gangs were turning out flood lights across Europe.

Not non league - lower league. That guy from Singapore is a well known match fixer and has been involved in fixing games all over Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

One of the following apparently

Aldershot Dartford Wrexham Lincoln City or Mansfield Town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That Singaporean gang is mad. There was a game in Italy a few years back where they got a teams keeper to poison water bottles and his teammates fell ill.

edit - documentary about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Glad to see them getting exposed. Have to laugh at people slating the leagues in Germany and Italy for allowing match fixing to happen and bringing up instances of it whenever there's a 90th minute winner or someone loses a bet. Those same people religiously saying how it doesn't happen in England, couldn't happen in the Premierhsip etc.

Been happening all over the place for ages, it's just so hard to prove. Glad to see these lads caught and hopefully they're fully prosecuted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Wasn't there a case this year were a LOI player was approached ? @ Longford i believe.The player was suspended although i believe he played no hand,act or part in any match fixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wasn't there a case this year were a LOI player was approached ? @ Longford i believe.The player was suspended although i believe he played no hand,act or part in any match fixing.

Colly James banned for 18 months. A match in Tolka last year had an FAI rep go into both dressing rooms and give a warning not to do "anything stupid". I've heard of fixes in LSL too, and fixing up North is well known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Have to laugh at people slating the leagues in Germany and Italy for allowing match fixing to happen
    You're comparing apples and oranges. Germany had issues with match fixing about 10 years ago in their lower leagues - that seems to have been cleared up. The match fixing in England seems to have taken place at the Conference level - the fifth tier of English football. At least action has been taken and arrests have been made. Match fixing in Italy on the other hand happens regularily in Serie A - see here for an example. Nothing as blatant as that has ever happened in England.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Germany had issues with match fixing about 10 years ago in their lower leagues - that seems to have been cleared up. The match fixing in England seems to have taken place at the Conference level - the fifth tier of English football. At least action has been taken and arrests have been made. Match fixing in Italy on the other hand happens regularily in Serie A - see here for an example. Nothing as blatant as that has ever happened in England.

Well Italy is a whole different kettle of fish, that's the Mafia's doing rather than players/referees trying to fix a match.

Also, fixes happen every day of the week all over the world. Canadian Soccer League was banished by the Canadian FA, it's now been dissolved as of last month when the League finished afaik. I didn't complain though, free €€€'s every Sunday evening/night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

IndoSport ‏@IndoSport 13m
    Alleged match-fixer claims to have tampered with games in Ireland and World Cup qualifiers. More to follow on independent.ie

Might want to change thread title.

Glad to see them getting exposed. Have to laugh at people slating the leagues in Germany and Italy for allowing match fixing to happen and bringing up instances of it whenever there's a 90th minute winner or someone loses a bet. Those same people religiously saying how it doesn't happen in England, couldn't happen in the Premierhsip etc.

Been happening all over the place for ages, it's just so hard to prove. Glad to see these lads caught and hopefully they're fully prosecuted.

Do many people say this though.

Like the drug taking I'd say it happens in almost every country.

Just because it hasn't been proven to happen in the likes of the Premiership doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. It's a multi-billion dollar industry. There's all sorts of conspiracies and cover-ups online that I don't much care for but it is very believable that the football associations would try to cover up any potential scandals and brush them under than the carpet than risk a loss of investment in their leagues and thus their country.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Do many people say this though.

Like the drug taking I'd say it happens in almost every country.

Yeah I've often had people say to me "the Serie A must be rubbish, sure half the games are fixed." or "You're better off watching the proper stuff like the Premiership" :rolleyes:

It's unbelievable how much people have bought into the "greatest league in the world" nonsense that is banded out about the Premiership by the English media.

It will not shock me one bit if match fixing in Premiership games is uncovered soon although I'd expect things would be kept hush-hush if at all possible so as to avoid a scandal.

Ahh the good aul drugs, at least with them we all know what's what :pac:

Yeah I've often had people say to me "the Serie A must be rubbish, sure half the games are fixed." or "You're better off watching the proper stuff like the Premiership" :rolleyes:

It's unbelievable how much people have bought into the "greatest league in the world" nonsense that is banded out about the Premiership by the English media.

It will not shock me one bit if match fixing in Premiership games is uncovered soon although I'd expect things would be kept hush-hush if at all possible so as to avoid a scandal.

Who are they? I haven't heard anyone saying that tbh.

Who are they? I haven't heard anyone saying that tbh.

I don't mean public figures or presenters. I mean friends of mine, or strangers that I've ended up talking to about football. As soon as I mention that I support Milan, there is often a swipe at the Serie A. Not all the time of course, but enough for me to have noticed a pattern :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Colly James banned for 18 months. A match in Tolka last year had an FAI rep go into both dressing rooms and give a warning not to do "anything stupid". I've heard of fixes in LSL too, and fixing up North is well known.

Wasnt one of Sligo Europa League matches with the Albanian team in 2009 fixed or was that a case of spot fixing instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There have been allegations of Match Fixing in England since the game was first played. Some cases were proven, some not. Peter Swan and Tony Kay might have been on England's World Cup Winning team in 1966 if they hadn't been banned for life two years earlier.

It would be naive to think there are no dubious results there.

kksaints wrote: »
    Wasnt one of Sligo Europa League matches with the Albanian team in 2009 fixed or was that a case of spot fixing instead?

Sligo couldnt beat a team that bet on themselves to lose.

Sadly true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Feck off reminding me of that :mad:

I don't mean public figures or presenters. I mean friends of mine, or strangers that I've ended up talking to about football. As soon as I mention that I support Milan, there is often a swipe at the Serie A. Not all the time of course, but enough for me to have noticed a pattern :P

It's not suprising though when people think of match fixing they think of Italy. Clubs were docked points and relegated because of it weren't they?

It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if it goes on in the premiership.

It's not suprising though when people think of match fixing they think of Italy. Clubs were docked points and relegated because of it weren't they?

I dont think it goes on simply because of the money on offer to the players in wages alone.

In lower leagues and foreign leagues where wages are low, i can see it being prevalent. For all Serie As superstar Roma still had a player on minimum wage not so long ago. There are huge gulfs in wage structures and has been proven a few quid to a few players and you can get a result. Whereas in the EPL the average wage is £22,253 which dwarves foreign leagues.

So I dont think the EPL is all golden and honest its just not worth match fixing.

True enough. Yeah the Calciopoli Scandal of 2006 saw several teams docked points and Juventus lost 2 Serie A titles and were relegated.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I dont think it goes on simply because of the money on offer to the players in wages alone.

In lower leagues and foreign leagues where wages are low, i can see it being prevalent. For all Serie As superstar Roma still had a player on minimum wage not so long ago. There are huge gulfs in wage structures and has been proven a few quid to a few players and you can get a result. Whereas in the EPL the average wage is £22,253 which dwarves foreign leagues.

So I dont think the EPL is all golden and honest its just not worth match fixing.

Very true

Richer People tend to bet more with more money thats the only differenceand when it comes down to it match fixing is tied in with betting.

Interesting that the Singaporeans charged their top match fixer with terrorism charges and not corruption charges - this means he cant testify in public. Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia are the real HQs of matching fixing in the UK and Europe.

Indeed I remember the father of a very well known player getting caught fairly recently. Are you telling me the son didnt know?

Richer People tend to bet more with more money thats the only differenceand when it comes down to it match fixing is tied in with betting.

Interesting that the Singaporeans charged their top match fixer with terrorism charges and not corruption charges - this means he cant testify in public. Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia are the real HQs of matching fixing in the UK and Europe.

Indeed I remember the father of a very well known player getting caught fairly recently. Are you telling me the son didnt know?

Brushed under the carpet. When it's bad publicity regarding English football, SSN are very reluctant to do a detailed report on it

• Advertisement

Brushed under the carpet. When it's bad publicity regarding English football, SSN are very reluctant to do a detailed report on it

This! Isn't there some deal between Sky and the FAI since the Premiership formation about brushing hooliganism in England under the carpet too?

This! Isn't there some deal between Sky and the FAI since the Premiership formation about brushing hooliganism in England under the carpet too?

Yeah I think you're right there. I remember seeing a documentary on it a few years back. They won't report on it unless they absolutely have to as it glorifies the violence and encourages youngsters to get involved in it because they see it on the television. It makes sense really and I wouldn't have any problem with this, it's other stuff that they selectively choose to ignore that annoys me.

The best example is just ordinary football. Let's say Ligue 1 football from France. SSN never, ever reports on anything at all from Ligue 1 because they don't have the rights to show the matches and don't want to be encouraging people to watch anything that isn't on Sky. The same goes for the Bundesliga and Serie A yet they'll report around the clock on Messi and Ronaldo because tehy're playing in the La Liga which Sky has coverage of.

It makes sense from a business point of view but it is still very annoying and lots of people are surprised when I point it out to them. The same goes for them ignoring anything scandalous that would tarnish the reputation of the Premiership. Sky won't have the champions league in a couple of years, so if you're paying for SSN prepare yourself for round the clock Premiership gossip, everything to do with Gareth Bale's life and lots and lots of cricket :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yeah I think you're right there. I remember seeing a documentary on it a few years back. They won't report on it unless they absolutely have to as it glorifies the violence and encourages youngsters to get involved in it because they see it on the television. It makes sense really and I wouldn't have any problem with this, it's other stuff that they selectively choose to ignore that annoys me.

The best example is just ordinary football. Let's say Ligue 1 football from France. SSN never, ever reports on anything at all from Ligue 1 because they don't have the rights to show the matches and don't want to be encouraging people to watch anything that isn't on Sky. The same goes for the Bundesliga and Serie A yet they'll report around the clock on Messi and Ronaldo because tehy're playing in the La Liga which Sky has coverage of.

It makes sense from a business point of view but it is still very annoying and lots of people are surprised when I point it out to them. The same goes for them ignoring anything scandalous that would tarnish the reputation of the Premiership. Sky won't have the champions league in a couple of years, so if you're paying for SSN prepare yourself for round the clock Premiership gossip, everything to do with Gareth Bale's life and lots and lots of cricket :rolleyes:

Why would anyone be surprised that sky talk up the premiership, what do you want them to do, say its ****e after paying billions for it. Of course they are going talk up their product. You dont see TV3 promoting rte programmes.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why would anyone be surprised that sky talk up the premiership, what do you want them to do, say its ****e after paying billions for it. Of course they are going talk up their product. You dont see TV3 promoting rte programmes.

It's more that they're surprised they never realised how SSN avoid reporting on stuff they don't have I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sligo couldnt beat a team that bet on themselves to lose.

Sadly true.

Liverpool couldn't beat a team whose keeper had taken money to let them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I've lost count of the amount of LOI games I've been at where there's a lone Asian guy standing quietly away from other people who spends the whole game muttering into a mobile phone. That's not evidence of anything untoward of course (or anything else really) but it certainly doesn't contradict the popular myth that there are groups in south east Asia taking an interest in our domestic league that would put most Irish people to shame (without examining the purity of motive).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

I've lost count of the amount of LOI games I've been at where there's a lone Asian guy standing quietly away from other people who spends the whole game muttering into a mobile phone. That's not evidence of anything untoward of course (or anything else really) but it certainly doesn't contradict the popular myth that there are groups in south east Asia taking an interest in our domestic league that would put most Irish people to shame (without examining the purity of motive).

It is far more likely that he is a scout for a betting company keeping track of how many corners, yellow cards etc there has been

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    It is far more likely that he is a scout for a betting company keeping track of how many corners, yellow cards etc there has been

At least someone has a brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

ITT-Pat wrote: »

I completely agree with you. I still think it's indicative of a surprising level of interest in our domestic league though.

I completely agree with you. I still think it's indicative of a surprising level of interest in our domestic league though.

I know for a fact, LoI, LSL and NI have been fixed but not once have I heard of outside parties involved.

I know an IRISH guy that used to do this but all legit and just reporting for livescore and the bookie world.At the time(about 2 years ago) he was getting paid €60 per match and entry fee paid into the ground.

• Advertisement

I know an IRISH guy that used to do this but all legit and just reporting for livescore and the bookie world.At the time(about 2 years ago) he was getting paid €60 per match and entry fee paid into the ground.

http://www.rball.com/

That crowd there have people at nearly every League of Ireland match through the season, including some friendlies, cups, etc...

http://www.rball.com/

That crowd there have people at nearly every League of Ireland match through the season, including some friendlies, cups, etc...

Aye,i think it was them he was working for,he used to stand in an area well away from everyone so that ^ they ^ could hear & understand him clearly without crowd or noise pollution.

He done it for a year before he eventually cracked up :pac:

I know for a fact, LoI, LSL and NI have been fixed but not once have I heard of outside parties involved.

I imagine its much harder to fix Irish games because so little money is involved in betting on it. Any unusual spikes would easily be seen. In England with the much bigger sums it would be easier to get away with it.

Also for those who dont follow LOI football and only English games consider this that if games were being thrown here then half the Irish team must have known about this at one stage and have chosen to stay mum. A sad state of affairs if so.
    And Gavin if you really believe you know for a fact that you know the games name them.

Declan Hill the journalist who has investigated this topic for years is giving out stink about the English FAs lack of action with regard to match fixing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rumours that Rodgers is considerably richer than he was at 2.05 are quite unfounded, we were just ****.

And Gavin if you really believe you know for a fact that you know the games name them.

Not naming names, 6 NI matches have been fixed this season so far, 3 games on 2 weekends. Shels last game of 2007 was fixed against Wexford by 3 particular players, Shels/Monaghan weeks before Monaghan went bust was fixed for a penalty, there a few more but not sure on details. LSL used to be rife with fixes, only the other day I was told from an LSL player about certain ex-LoI players who have fixed matches in the LSL.

I know of a few games too. Some FAI Cup games, old Galway and Monaghan had big involvment.

I wonder do these arrests come on the taking into custody of Dan Tan?

I notice Declan Hill has called Cecilia Keaveney the former FF TD who lost her seat as the best politican in Europe to have fought against match fixing.

She used to be chairperson of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Arts, Sports, Tourism, Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.

The Irish sun Twitter a/c last night :
    Irish Sun Sport ‏@IrishSunSport
    Irish SunSport Tuesday: PFAI chief Stephen McGuinness on why Irish football could be vulnerable to match-fixers
    MIGHT be an interesting read?

And yeah,we all hate the Sun AND we all hate McGuinness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Most fixing is not on results but on stuff that is much harder to discover.
    1st corners, yellow cards, even throw ins.

And then there is of course the fixes that has nothing to do with gambling but just because the teams involved are both best off with a certain result.
    That is where you can catch the bookies.

Heerenveen - Feyenoord, last match of the season in the 11/12 season was a nice example. Both teams were absolutely not helped with a draw.
    A win for Feyenoord would mean CL qualification and Heerenveen direct entry into the EL.
    A draw would have meant EL for Feyenoord, EL play offs for Heerenveen.

A nice 3-2 for Feyenoord gave me much monies.

Same thing happens on big scale in Italy. Look a the last couple of league rounds what the odds are on draws where draws are needed.

It does make you a bit cynical though.
    Last night in the Dutch reserve leage there were 3 HT/FT turn arounds.
    Jong feyenoord/Willem II/ Sparta were all losing 1-0 at ht and all 3 won 2-1.
    No injury time winners there though.

A few years ago, when i didnt bet on football i wouldnt have batted an eyelid. Now i cant help but think ... mmmmm.

Now let me have a look the EL last group matches if i can spot the draws.... :D

The Irish sun Twitter a/c last night :

MIGHT be an interesting read?

And yeah,we all hate the Sun AND we all hate McGuinness :rolleyes:

It's actually nice that the FAI, PFAI and Irish Government have finally noticed we have a League here if nothing else.

PAOK match in Greece yesterday was fixed for them to win....

• Advertisement
Advertisement