Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LongListSelector Windows phone

Options
  • 27-11-2013 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is a rant or a question, but has anyone else used this control when writing Windows phone apps?

I just want to add a list of items to it and have it grouped by the first letter of the first name of each item, which is what it usually does anyway. But any example I find seems massively complicated, having to create classes and write lots of other code that I don't understand in order to do something that seems like it should be pretty basic.

I know how to populate the flat list, is there not just some quick setting I can use and have it group the stuff itself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Talisman

You have to add a helper class to change the flat list to a grouped list. I saw an article on the MSDN site recently that didn't make it seem that complicated.

How to display data in a grouped list in LongListSelector for Windows Phone 8

Software Development isn't always drag and drop or point and click, sometimes you have to copy and paste or if things are really bad actually write some code. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Talisman wrote: »
    You have to add a helper class to change the flat list to a grouped list. I saw an article on the MSDN site recently that didn't make it seem that complicated.

How to display data in a grouped list in LongListSelector for Windows Phone 8

Software Development isn't always drag and drop or point and click, sometimes you have to copy and paste or if things are really bad actually write some code. :)

Haha I guess you are right. I've looked at that sample a few times and it seems very elaborate. I think I've a bit of a mental/emotional block about it and because it seems (to me) to be so complicated and over engineered, it's irritating me.

Advertisement