Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outgoing php mail as spam

Options
  • 27-11-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

How do I prevent outgoing mail being marked as spam?

Sent using php script

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Marked as spam by whom?

In any case you'd need to make sure that your emails are properly formed and formatted

Is it a custom script or one that's part of a CMS?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

Thanks for the quick response. 

It's a custom php script. The mails are properly formatted but picked up as spam by Microsoft live account. Just doing testing at the moment. 

In gmail I see the [font=arial, sans-serif]via[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] pemlinweb147.blacknight.com [/font]after the email address in the header. 

Just wondering if there is anything more I can do to help keep automated mails out of the spam folder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You'd really need to run the emails via some kind of spam test to see how they're being picked up
    The most common issues are that the emails send but aren't properly formatted as far as 3rd parties are concerned

Look into things like SPF records for example

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Best option is to set up dmarc on your domain, including SPF. Then make sure you're sending the mail properly in PHP

I use the following:

mail("email@mail.ie", "Subject",
    "A Name, a cara,

Email body

", "From: Joe Bloggs <info@email.ie>\nContent-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed; delsp=yes\nContent-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable\nMime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v929.2)\nX-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.929.2)", "-f info@email.ie");

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

you need to set up a DKIM signature on the mail and SPF in your DNS records.

• Advertisement
Advertisement