Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel: Fire at Topaz Dock Road Limerick

• 27-11-2013 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

I just got the email below from Parcel Motel.

Does anyone know what happened at Topaz (the one closer to town)?

Fire at Topaz Dock Road Limerick

Dear xxxxxxx

As a valued customer of Parcel Motel, we wanted to let you know that there has been a fire at the Topaz garage at the Dock Rd, Limerick and the site has been temporarily closed.

Although we expect the site to be open again shortly, we do not want to cause any disruption to your parcel deliveries. Therefore, we have temporarily changed your location to the nearby Caherdavin Topaz on the Ennis Road. While the site is closed, any parcels received for you will be redirected to this location. As soon as the Dock Road Topaz is open again, we'll move you back to this location and we'll contact you to let you know.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our customer service team on 1890 24 17 17 or email customerservice@parcelmotel.com

We're sorry for any inconvenience caused and we hope you can understand that this is a situation beyond our direct control.

The Parcel Motel Team

Comments

just got one to

hope everyone is safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

just got one to

hope everyone is safe

And that no in transit ps4's were harmed...

Dont look at me like that, parcel motels aren't manned!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

i passed at 4.45 today. It was all closed off. There was a tanker removing hazardous waste and a fire truck present. No fire tho.

No fire but one of the buried tanks is leaking badly so it had to closed off for obvious reasons. That's what I've been told by a guy working in the docks tonight anyway. Very strong smell of fuel in the area ATM so be careful folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There was surface work being done a few days ago above where the tanks are, then yesterday evening/night at around 18:30 or so the clean up crew were there.

Would not be surprised if it results in the tank or tanks being replaced as they are the original tanks that were put in at the start of the 1990's, and over the years there has been a lot of heavy ground and sub ground disturbances (the Ranks tower was knocked after the tanks were put in, the business park next door was built after the tanks went in etc etc)

Have a soft spot for that site though, so hope they get it sorted and get back to regular trading asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Kess73 wrote: »
    There was surface work being done a few days ago above where the tanks are, then yesterday evening/night at around 18:30 or so the clean up crew were there.

Would not be surprised if it results in the tank or tanks being replaced as they are the original tanks that were put in at the start of the 1990's, and over the years there has been a lot of heavy ground and sub ground disturbances (the Ranks tower was knocked after the tanks were put in, the business park next door was built after the tanks went in etc etc)

Have a soft spot for that site though, so hope they get it sorted and get back to regular trading asap.

You have a soft spot for a filling station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya it was closed last night at 10:30 when I passed with fencing all around it.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    You have a soft spot for a filling station?

Many a year ago I worked for Statoil, outside of Ireland mainly, but would have been one of the first people to set foot in that particular station/site (well before any of the original management or staff were hired) as was over here for the site procurement, build and eventually the store set up.

So as such have a soft spot for it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Manager of site the just rang my job to tell us not to make any delivery's to it and it will be closed for the foreseeable future due to an incident.

Many a year ago I worked for Statoil, outside of Ireland mainly, but would have been one of the first people to set foot in that particular station/site (well before any of the original management or staff were hired) as was over here for the site procurement, build and eventually the store set up.

So as such have a soft spot for it. :)

Like me and my soft spot for the living bridge in UL. It was the first electrical job I ever worked on when I started my training and the results speak for themselves. I've never worked on anything like it since. I smile every time I see it lit up at night :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

it didn't take long for the other topaz to increase his petrol by 2c today.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

padma wrote: »
    it didn't take long for the other topaz to increase his petrol by 2c today.

They have signs on the Condell Road pointing customers in the right direction too. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

They have signs on the Condell Road pointing customers in the right direction too. :pac:

I suspect that might be because the Topaz across from Tesco is closing down tomorrow night

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I suspect that might be because the Topaz across from Tesco is closing down tomorrow night

Really?! Wow. One of my friends worked there for years. It used to be a bit of a meeting spot after our gang got old enough to start driving. It was always going to struggle after the Tesco station opened, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I was just about to collect my parcel when I noticed it's all closed. Fortunately nice security guy got the parcel for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Topaz across from Tesco looks closed down. Signage gone, shutters down, nobody there with a sign saying site closed. ( temporary looking sign)

New petrol station of sorts by the car wash on the dock road had a strange concrete kerb layout. Looks like it could be a DCI site only.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

The plans for the new station on the Dock rd were to have it 24hrs fully automatic for card payments but surely cash during the day will be accepted

This has peeved me off big time. I live in Edward Street so the Dock Road was the closest. The only other options, Caherdavin and Castletroy, are quite a distance from me (I don't have a car). At Christmas too...grrrr! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably not as peeved as those people who worked in the Topaz who now have no work.

I sympathise but I thought the thread was about Parcel Motel not Limerick employment? As the thread is titled "Parcel Motel" and from a perspective of using Parcel Motel then I'm peeved. Or does Parcel Motel not employ anyone and the money I put its way not pay anybody's wages?

There are people dying from starvation and disease throughout the world. I'm not going to go around boards posting wherever there is a complaint that basically others have it worse am I?

I'm quite irritated by your holier than thou post to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

I sympathise but I thought the thread was about Parcel Motel not Limerick employment? As the thread is titled "Parcel Motel" and from a perspective of using Parcel Motel then I'm peeved. Or does Parcel Motel not employ anyone and the money I put its way not pay anybody's wages?

There are people dying from starvation and disease throughout the world. I'm not going to go around boards posting wherever there is a complaint that basically others have it worse am I?

I'm quite irritated by your holier than thou post to be honest.

Welcome to the Limerick forum, replies like that are par for the course. Even Jesus himself wouldn't get away with expressing criticism here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Topaz across from Tesco looks closed down. Signage gone, shutters down, nobody there with a sign saying site closed. ( temporary looking sign)

New petrol station of sorts by the car wash on the dock road had a strange concrete kerb layout. Looks like it could be a DCI site only.

It's opening as an apple green station in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Welcome to the Limerick forum, replies like that are par for the course. Even Jesus himself wouldn't get away with expressing criticism here.

But Jesus knew when to give up, isn't it time you gave up posting here as all you seem to do is moan about how negative posts are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I passed the Dock Road Topaz earlier today and 'twas awful quiet. Looks like they're waiting on some heavy machinery to dig up the forecourt.

Hopefully it'll be sorted by next December... (I live about 500m from the Dock Road and it's been a right pain in the hole traipsing out to Caherdavin for all the Chrimbo deliveries; I feel your pain, Madeleine Huge Junkie).

Went out to Caherdavin for the first time tonight and it's rubbish. Far more parking room/lebensraum out at the Texaco Castletroy. Also I felt a prat because I had forgotten I changed the registered mobile number to my brother's and only got my parcel on the third go...(sorry to the chap waiting behind me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Mc Love wrote: »
    But Jesus knew when to give up, isn't it time you gave up posting here as all you seem to do is moan about how negative posts are

Speak for yourself.

Mod post: Cop on folks. I don't want to see people telling others where to or not to post, and I don't want to see threads being derailed with the exact same critique of forum users again and again and again and.....

If a person does not like the forum then the answer is a matter of choice, and if any poster does not agree with another poster then debating or ignoring are the normally accepted options.

I'll let Jack take it from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Cheers for that Kess73 - As the OP, I was about to post something similar with the theme "play nice". :pac:

Cheers for that Kess73 - As the OP, I was about to post something similar with the theme "play nice". :pac:

Well I would not have objected if you had burst into a rendition of the Living years. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Well I would not have objected if you had burst into a rendition of the Living years. :p

ROTFL Kess - you'd be surprised how few people get that reference :o

Normally people ask me to fix their cars. One girl even PM'd me out of the blue one day to take a look at her Fiesta :P

Advertisement