Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel: Fire at Topaz Dock Road Limerick

Comments

I kind of preferred "Word of Mouth" myself.....

Lads I contacted Parcel Motel yesterday about the Dock road Topaz and they said it may be at least six months!!!. I think they're going to try for a new location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Hopefully somewhere in the south of the city or there abouts.

Contacted PM last month and they speculated that this will re-open at the start of May. At the moment I'm doing an eight mile round trip walk to the Castletroy lockers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

I walked past that Topaz the other day and it looks like they are installing new petrol and diesel tanks in the ground - huge yellow metal ones.

So maybe it will reopen in a few weeks after all.

It would be more convenient for me than going out to Caherdavin for sure.

MtM

• Advertisement

So that'll be 4 petrol stations within a stones throw (well, you know) of each other on the Dock rd now. No need whatsoever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Hopefully it'll still be a 24 hours station. It was just within walking distance for the nights when I was dying for a cuppa and realised I was out of milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭djdunny

Contacted PM last month and they speculated that this will re-open at the start of May. At the moment I'm doing an eight mile round trip walk to the Castletroy lockers.

Would the one at Topaz in Caherdavin be nearer for you?

I popped down there this evening and it looks completed to me. All the ground is filled in and the machinery is gone. Only thing is I couldn't get a vantage point to see if the lockers are still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Opening tomorrow night/tuesday morning (6am).

Did they leave the parcel motel in situ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Maybe i am very mistaken but i think i saw a Parcel Motel or something similar at the side of the Statoil (??) on the Ennis road - beside the Opel garage. I could be very wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Parchment wrote: »
    Maybe i am very mistaken but i think i saw a Parcel Motel or something similar at the side of the Statoil (??) on the Ennis road - beside the Opel garage. I could be very wrong...

Yes, It has been on the side of Topaz on the Ennis Road for a long time.

Could open the site on the dock road today by the looks of things. Fences coming down now, shop stocked, coffee machine being serviced. Monolith has prices on it and switched on.

Yup I went to the back and had a look. The lockers (perhaps understandably) aren't there. Hopefully PM will get 'em delivered soon.

It doesn't look like they'll ever reopen this site. I've been emailing them regularly and keep being stalled. Last time I got the old "we'll put it on our Facebook page when there's news". Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Crescent Shopping Centre would be a good spot to relocate to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

not for the drivers, it wouldn't

I think a location nearer to the city centre would be handy for people in town/work but I also think Ryans Centra in Raheen would be handy for that side of the city as well as people in the Industrial Estate and surrounding estates could utilise it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I thought they were to relaunch this month actually. Perhaps there was a setback.

I just sent a "tell me straight please" email and was told that this site will not reopen. Apparently they're looking for other sites but have not found anything yet. Which is obviously bollocks as there's another Topaz just up the road. Fcuking hell. So hard to get a "no bull****" reply from these guys.
    Hi,

Unfortunately due to the number of incidents imposed last year, the location was found to be impractical for us and we had too many instances in which customers could not collect parcels from the motel (which was a big problem), and we finally removed the motel last summer due to a large explosion/fire at that location. I wouldn’t go as far as to say the great fire of Limerick, but the road was closed for 2 or 3 days because of it.

This location unfortunately will ‘not’ be coming back (confirmation that we will not be using that location again), however we are on the hunt for a new location close by but don’t have anywhere just yet.

I hope this answers you’re questions.

Kind regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Thanks for posting, Madeleine Huge Junkie. I think I might just fire off an "Angry of Limerick" email myself explaining that they just made it no longer worthwhile for about a third of the city's population to use their services any more. Very disappointing that they wasted so many customers' time with the sales talk bullsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Thanks for posting, Madeleine Huge Junkie. I think I might just fire off an "Angry of Limerick" email myself explaining that they just made it no longer worthwhile for about a third of the city's population to use their services any more. Very disappointing that they wasted so many customers' time with the sales talk bullsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I just sent a "tell me straight please" email and was told that this site will not reopen. Apparently they're looking for other sites but have not found anything yet. Which is obviously bollocks as there's another Topaz just up the road. Fcuking hell. So hard to get a "no bull****" reply from these guys.

The site up the road is not run by Topaz, whereas the site where the Parcel Motel unit used to be is a Topaz owned site. As such the sites are totally seperate and Topaz would have no say in allowing Parcel Motel to use the other site.

Google Street View says different.....I'm referring to the station up towards the Greyhound stadium. I'll try and get a link...

:edit: Bit baffled by the changes to Google Maps maybe this:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.655995,-8.647432,3a,75y,97.16h,87.77t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sDBX1yy2c2YECeM9n5vI0SQ!2e0!5s2009-05

will work?

Nope the link is not showing the station near the greyhound track, it is showing Casey's site which is the second station on the road.

The station closest to the entrance of the Greyhound track is not a Topaz site either.

The only Topaz owned/Topaz operated site on the dock road is the site opposite the main entrance to the Docks.

All the other three sites would require the site owners to want a Parcel Motel unit on their property fpr PM to go there. Topaz would have no say in the matter.

They're both topaz, but some are company owned, and some are dealer owned. The company ones (iirc) are the ones with topaz over the door, while the dealer ones could be centra etc ones.

MarkR wrote: »
    They're both topaz, but some are company owned, and some are dealer owned. The company ones (iirc) are the ones with topaz over the door, while the dealer ones could be centra etc ones.

They both have the Topaz brand, but only one is Topaz owned and Topaz operated and as such any contract Topaz may have withParcel Motel does not mean a thing for the dealer owned/operated sites if the dealers do not want a PM unit .

Ah right I wasn't aware of the distinction (I don't drive). Cheers mate! :)

Seems to be back open again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jack Sawyer

Seems to be back open again now.

Dock Rd. one? I thought Parcel Motel prev said it would def not reopen there????

Advertisement