Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to host college Java project work

Options
  • 28-11-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im just wondering where would you recommend hosting an app that i designed as part of a 1st year college project. Im looking to add it to a CV for applying for an internship.

Its a Java app that runs on Windows rather than on a server. How do i go about showing it to employers?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

You could host an open-source copy of it on github.

Bear in mind that if you want to earn money out of your app, everyone will be able to see its code on Github.

You can get around that by buying an upgraded account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just put the jar file in dropbox (or other cloud storage service), then put link on your cv. Use a URL shortener to compact the address if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Github all the way. You can view files directly in the browser so they wont even need to download it. I'd imagine they will be more interested in the code than running the jar, although you can host that on github too.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

you can get a free micro GitHub account as a student (usually costs $5 a month)

https://github.com/edu

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

How do i actually upload to Github?

• Advertisement

With a git client.

TortoiseGit is a windows one with a handy gui. You can also just use command line.

https://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/

Right so lets say i have an Eclipse project which is in a folder on my PC which i update regularly. How do i just have that sync up with Github?

Or am i understanding the point of Git wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Right so lets say i have an Eclipse project which is in a folder on my PC which i update regularly. How do i just have that sync up with Github?

Or am i understanding the point of Git wrong?

Possibly this?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

What kind of "App" is this, is it a swing GUI, is it a command line tool, is it a webapp (through tomcat or jetty for example). As others have said github is good, but for simplicity you could always use dropbox. Although employers like to know that you can use version control!

• Advertisement

Its just an app that launches on desktop and reads from an SQL database which is hosted online. No tomcat.

While browsing github tutorials i came across Google code. Any reason no to use that? Seems good to me.

Right seem to be getting somewhere. Its up on Github.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Bitbucket > Github?
    Unlimited private code repositories

FREE FOR 5 USERS GIT OR MERCURIAL LIGHTWEIGHT CODE REVIEW MAC AND WINDOWS CLIENT

Git || Mercurial + Bitbucket = $0! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Guys do you remember the projects you did in first year of college!? Its extremely unlikely that they are going to make money from it.

Also what is the point of making it private if you want to show people it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

You can view files directly in the browser so they wont even need to download it. I'd imagine they will be more interested in the code than running the jar, although you can host that on github too.

This, definitely. If I'm looking at you CV alongside dozens/hundreds of others, I'm not going to be running your application. Even if it's 100% bug free & looks really nice, I'd be much more interested in seeing how you code.

Also, I don't think I'd trust random compiled JARs on my machine! (Apart from from a trusted source, with a checksum)

Advertisement