Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Deep Fat Fryer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I am not too sure if I am allowed to give the make and model . Maybe a moderator could help me on this. Is this allowed on Boards ? Thanks.

generally once you aren't naming and shaming a company and writing anything slanderous you are fine.
    at lease with the make/model someone may have heard of similar issues etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

mikom wrote: »
    So say a fella filled it to the maximum level with oil and then added two handfuls of chips........... at what point would the oil now sit......... on maximum or above maximum?

That's fairly obvious isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am not too sure if I am allowed to give the make and model . Maybe a moderator could help me on this.
    Should be fine, I am not a mod of this forum but dudara is and would have probably warned you not to name them if it was an issue, as so many were asking you.

It will at least shut up all the people saying you did the wrong thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Yes I put 3 litres of oil as instructed in the manual. There is a line that clearly says 3 litres. I did not fill over this line. What would you have done? Would you follow the instructions properly like me or have you got your own idea ?

Make and model would be useful. So others can research the particular model before making a purchase, if it is a known issue. If is a known issue people will be in a better position to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

"This deep fat fryer will hold approximately 2.5 litres of oil at the minimum level and 3 litres of oil at the maximum level ".

there is the problem right there.

from where I am looking at it you filled the fryer to the max level and then overfilled with food .. thus causing the oil to spill out.

I don't see how you can interpret this as a faulty product; a reasonable person would realise that the more oil that you put in the less food will fit. Usually max oil would do for a couple of sausages and not any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

whippet wrote: »
    Usually max oil would do for a couple of sausages and not any more.

Rubbish

already covered
    The instruction was to use a maximum 200g of chips per litre of oil. I used less than this.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

On the sausages thing... the fat that they add to the oil when you deep fry them can cause the oil to froth more the next time you cook. I try not to deep fry sausages as you end up changing the oil afterwards.

It is unusual for a correctly filled, correctly heated fryer to overflow like that. I hold my hand up and say that I had one that overflowed a few times (It was integrated - oh the mess), and I put the blame for that firmly on myself. The oil level and heat was always correct, but either I had cooked sausages previously (see above) or didn't keep an eye on it. The oil can bubble up unexpectedly during cooking, depending on what youve put in and how wet/frozen it is. The simplest answer is often user error and I was asking the predictable questions first, in order to rule that out. Once you do rule that out, and the item is faulty, youre into the usual sale of goods territory: repair/refund/replace. You have to give the seller a chance to check out the fault in a reasonable time. In fairness I would say that time is just about up, and you need an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mysticalman

I would ask a moderator to close this discussion please. I would like to say thank you to those who helped me and gave some good advice. The reason for closing it is there are too many smart alecs who are of no help. I took a posters previous advice (123 was the name and only just got off the phone to the retailer who is going to resolve this for me. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭zg3409

Is the deep fat fryer faulty or is it just the instructions that are not clear? Which part caused the confusion?

Should the manual say,
    fill just above the min line, and once food is added be sure it does not rise above max value or it may overflow during cooking?

Can the item be no longer used now? , from what I understand it's just a pot that gets hot similar to putting a pot with oil on a cooker?

The make and model would help too, and ideally the manual scanned in.

In general any boiling oil is very dangerous. I believe chip shops have special fire systems in case the oil catches fire. I know someone who burned down their kitchen with a chip pan, the same day it had just been fitted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

So say a fella filled it to the maximum level with oil and then added two handfuls of chips........... at what point would the oil now sit......... on maximum or above maximum?

We might need one of the scientists to answer that one :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I dont understand why people are doubting the OP here.

Because the laws of physics appear to have been violated in this case.

So still no make & model.

So some other poor unfortunate might suffer the same thing, type in the model into google to see if anyone else experienced trouble and not find this thread, great.

Also people thinking of buying the model will not see any warning.
    It would rise above the line stating the maximum level to fill the oil. Which is obviously not the maximum level the oil can be at during cooking. He already said the max was 3L of oil and 200g of chips per litre of oil, and he added less than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

rubadub wrote: »

It would rise above the line stating the maximum level to fill the oil. Which is obviously not the maximum level the oil can be at during cooking. He already said the max was 3L of oil and 200g of chips per litre of oil, and he added less than this.

From reading previous fryer manuals the 200g of chips per litre of oil relates to ability to cook rather than safety.

From reading previous fryer manuals the 200g of chips per litre of oil relates to ability to cook rather than safety.
    I would have thought its a bit of both.

You seem to be suggesting the max fill line is including food. I would expect 3 lines if there was such a line, a minimum, maximium oil level, maximium level with food.

The OP gave a snippet of the manual. I found this (it is not his, as its 4L, but an example of a manual)

http://www.breville.com.au/media/mediaappearance/12960/BDF500_IB_B11_FA_LowRes.pdf
    Remove the frying basket from the deep
    fryer and add oil to the bowl. Do not
    add less than the minimum level mark
    (2.5 litres) or exceed the maximum level
    mark (4 litres).

IMPORTANT
    NEVER exceed the maximum level mark
    with oil (maximum is 4 litres). This
    product must be filled with oil to the
    exact marked level. The product will be
    severely damaged if heated without oil
    in the frying bowl.
    So this one obviously means you can go past the 4L maximum level mark with food added, otherwise it would have said
    Do not add less than the minimum level mark (2.5 litres) or exceed the maximum level mark (4 litres) -and if you do fill to 4L with oil bear in mind you cannot cook any food.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed at OP's request.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement