Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smog in Ennis

• 28-11-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭

Anybody else notice the very bad smog in Ennis in the past few weeks? Even if I'm just walking to my car and back, when I get back inside, there's a stink of smoke on my clothes. I never get this when I'm up in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

I've noticed the same. Smokeless fuel, my eye!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Where in Ennis is this happening folks?

I haven't noticed anything myself in town but will keep an eye out for it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

keep your nose out for it! i don't know about the rest of the town but it's bad in o'connell, the heights, parnell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,471 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Balagan wrote: »
    I've noticed the same. Smokeless fuel, my eye!

The problem is that people are still burning normal coal because for some reason they think there is more heat from it than from the smokeless coal

They're wrong, there is more heat from smokeless coal and it burns for longer but there is a common misperception and people are actually going out of their way to buy coal outside of the restricted areas.

it's nearly worse this year. it has to be bad for the health.

nobody cares as Ennis is pretty much a ghost town after 6pm when all the fires are lit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's an awful amount of turf burnt around Ennis as well, that could be adding to the smog. I'd be guessing though that it might be a combination of smoke and fog, especially in the centre of town, it is an island after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

There are some houses belching out enough smoke to be running small industries and it smells something awful if you are out and about, especially from 7 to 8pm.

Am burning smokeless coal and it's hot and lovely but when it first gets hot it blasts forth small burning missiles and you have to keep the fire guard up for a while when fire starts and again when topping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,471 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I went to buy coal in Ennis recently and despite the legal prohibition on the sale of smokey coal to residents of the town, I had to ask about 5 times for smokeless coal, the guy selling it couldn't believe that I actually wanted the smokeless coal and was obviously well used to people 'from the countryside' buying 'normal' coal in his shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Was in Ennis last night and I couldn't believe the smoky stink! I noticed it everywhere even first thing this morning.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Whatever it is every evening it's very bad in town. Came home and had to change clothes, very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

It's burned in small estates like the one I live in too. It's just disgusting to go outside and be breathing in that crap. I can't understand why the laws are not stricter, though I suppose one reason might be that it's just a difficult law to implement really? My mum rang up about it before (I presume she contacted the environment agency or the county council, not sure) and apparently the law on it is quite blurry. No one should be burned turf or coal in estates. It happened to when we had clothes outside drying on the line, not a pleasant smell to be getting on clothes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

It's burned in small estates like the one I live in too. It's just disgusting to go outside and be breathing in that crap. I can't understand why the laws are not stricter, though I suppose one reason might be that it's just a difficult law to implement really? My mum rang up about it before (I presume she contacted the environment agency or the county council, not sure) and apparently the law on it is quite blurry. No one should be burned turf or coal in estates. It happened to when we had clothes outside drying on the line, not a pleasant smell to be getting on clothes!!
    I agree, however, if money is tight and your family have their own bog, you'll burn turf rather than pay for smokeless fuel, that's the reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's one thing that struck me about Ennis, the smell of burning turf.
    I find it a nostalgic thing for some reason, a bit of a blast from the past, which is strange because not a lot of turf is burnt in Germany, even 30-40 years ago.
    I'm, not sure if the OP is referring to smelly smoke or smog.
    Smog is a mixture of smoke and fog, I don't see a lot of that in Ennis, it usually happens where there is no wind for days on end and that certainly can't be said for Ennis.

Smog:

_73576245_021495541-1.jpg
    can't say Ennis looks like that a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Thankfully the whole country will be smokless coal next year.
    Some brands are of all the same type of nuggets and are crap.
    I find HAYES COAL have a mix of all types in the one bag, giving a good flame + heat.

welp it's that time of year again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tom44 wrote: »
    Thankfully the whole country will be smokless coal next year.

Hmm....posted 2 years ago :)

Advertisement