Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight! America After Dark with Dory!

Options
  • 28-11-2013 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

Going as far west as we can now with the Virginian mountain mama!

Ladies and Gentlemen please respect the 5 hour time difference and keep your questions to at least early afternoon to save Dorys husband from listening to the ipads hum at 4am in the morning.

Lets start with some easy ones

Favourite Movie
    Favourite Actor
    Person you admire most in (a) Sport and (b) life
    Favourite Book
    Favourite animal

Now moving into build session

Democrat or Republican?
    Seinfeld or Friends?
    Why has Virginia got no Sports franchise?

Finally Vo2 Max

What are your views on the right to bear arms?

All going well in 2014 what potential Ironman races are you eying up in 2015 and why - be specific ;)

How is Lance viewed in the US these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Union or Confederacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

catweazle wrote: »
    Going as far west as we can now with the Virginian mountain mama!

Ladies and Gentlemen please respect the 5 hour time difference and keep your questions to at least early afternoon to save Dorys husband from listening to the ipads hum at 4am in the morning.

Lets start with some easy ones

Favourite Movie
    Favourite Actor
    Person you admire most in (a) Sport and (b) life
    Favourite Book
    Favourite animal

Now moving into build session

Democrat or Republican?
    Seinfeld or Friends?
    Why has Virginia got no Sports franchise?

Finally Vo2 Max

What are your views on the right to bear arms?

All going well in 2014 what potential Ironman races are you eying up in 2015 and why - be specific ;)

How is Lance viewed in the US these days?

:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks, cw. I'll do my best. And no worries about the time difference, we get up and at 'em early here in the valley.

Favorite actor - Johnny Depp

Favortie movie - Moonstruck

Person I admire the most in sports - probably Michael Phelps for his physcal talent, mental strength, tenacity, class and sportsmanship. Individual sports at such an intimate and high level is gut wrenching and you have to be made of steel to get to that level and stay there for so long. It's eat or be eaten - and he proved he was very high on the food chain in all respects.

Person I admire the most in life - this is probably the toughest question you posed to me...I even looked up "admire" to see if the proper definition would help spark my answer. I admire many people for possessing various gifts that I find admirable/desirable, such as the ability to inspire and/or create, the desire to teach, and the unselfish nature to lift up those who need a hand. Probably the one person who comes closest to embodying all of those quaities was a dear friend of mine, Dr. JoGayle Howard, a veterinarian at the Smithsonian National Zoo who passed away a few years ago. You can google her name, but no article or video will tell you her full story or convey how amazing she was in her public and private life. She was brilliant, a pioneer in what she did, unending in her desire to push forward with conservation through reproduction and education, had an impressive ability to raise funds for her projects, gave away her own annual leave to a friend/co-worker who was dealing with health issues and had no more paid time off to burn, could make a mean Margarita, and held court in her hospital bed just days before she passed. Always working. Always in control. Always loving what she did. :)

Favorite book - Round Ireland With a Fridge by Tony Hawks purely because it was delightfully funny and witty, and Mr. Hawks was accessible and kind enough to correspond with me via email when I wrote to him.

Favorite animal - cats of all kinds - domestic or wild. Dogs may be man's best friend, but a cat owns you.

Democrat or Repulican - really? You have to ask? I'm a hippie chick deep down inside - Democrat all the way.

Seinfeld or Friends - Seinfeld, hands down.

Why has Virginia got no sports franchise - probably because the state's population is concentrated in Northern Virginia which is just outside DC, and Northern Virginia already funds the DC sports franchises, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It is interesting, however, that the Redskins hold their training camp each year in Virginia, and the Capitals' practice rink is in Virginia - and both are (generally) open to the public. Perhaps these "offerings" add to the feeling that we in Virginia share in the ownership of these teams.

Vo2 Max - 179+

Right to bear arms - I am not a fan of guns. I do not think that putting more guns into circulation and arming more citizens makes us safer, I think it only increases the probability that more fatalaties will occur. It's unrealistic to expect that The Second Amendment or guns will ever go away (thank you in part to the gun manufacturers), but I shake my head that we as a nation haven't evolved enough or become civilized enough to render guns and violence obsolete. Totally utopian, I know.

Ironman races eying in 2015 - whatever one you are doing. :D

Lance - I certainly do not have my thumb on the pulse of Lance, but I would say the view is mixed. On the one hand, doping and racing was the even playing field at his level, so when in Rome. On the other hand, his bullying, intimidation and peer pressure were very hard to stomach. Doping is wrong, but because it's been part of this sport's culture forever, it was easy for us to look away when the one in the yellow jersey was ours. International embarrassment certainly made it easy to cast a critical and disowning eye....but then there's that little foundation, Livestrong, that really has done some serious good for a lot of folks. Lance is complicated.

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Union or Confederacy?

Union. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Favourite food?
    Most challenging moment (sporting)?
    What is your sporting background?
    Your secret for being perpetually happy?
    Biggest faux pas?
    Do you like camping?
    Favourite motto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

To start, happy turkey day !

Tonight will you be cooking or watching football ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

How long are you married?
    What do you do for a living?
    What does hubbie do for a living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Describe you best ever swimming competitors and competition?
    French wine or Freedom Fries?
    How far can you swim underwater on one breath?
    Have you ever considered fattening up for winter so you could extend your backyard swim season?
    Whats a nice American girl like you doing in a place like this?
    One night in heaven- shotgun or interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You're obviously a bit of a fish given you do kick sets faster than most of us swim :D What level did you swim to?
    What has been your greatest/most memorable sporting achievement?
    What got you in to triathlon and endurance sports?
    Where's the nicest place that you've swam?
    Have you Irish roots or is there another reason for your love of Ireland?

Hope the turkey goes down well today :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

1) Was i taller than you expected?
    2) Strangest or a good ending animal story relating to the vets?
    3) Do you believe you have the capability to one day get close to or under 3hrs in a marathon?
    4) MCOS, Kurt Godel, Tunney, put each in a box. Person you would want to be placed on a stranded island with, a nice evening meal & a chat with or go out for pints and a boogie on the dance floor?
    5) Pizza or pasta?
    6) What do you like the most about this little section on the interwebs?

Sorry to butt in, but when you put MCOS, tunney and Kurt in boxes, can we keep them in there for a while?

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Favourite food?
    Most challenging moment (sporting)?
    What is your sporting background?
    Your secret for being perpetually happy?
    Biggest faux pas?
    Do you like camping?
    Favourite motto?

:eek: I feel I've fallen behind!! Slept too long!!! ;)

Food - seafood, just about any kind done any way.

Most challenging moment - perhaps this summer at the Spartan race when I had to climb a free hanging rope that was hanging above a muddy pool of water. I honestly did not believe I could do it, it was too high and my upper body too weak, almost didn't even try, but after getting my head in the game and some very well timed encouraging words from my teammates, I actually made it all the way to the top, rang the bell, then climbed back down without falling. I was most proud of conquering that obstacle. Felt empowered afterwards.

Sporting - starting swimming competitively at the age of 6 with a summer club. Dabbled in other sports (softball, basketball, soccer, etc) but swimming seemed to be my thing. Started swimming year round with an AAU team at around the age of 9 or 10, then after being on a few different teams (one of which was a very intense military team in DC that brought on great improvements but was not the healthiest of environments for a young kid - way too much stress and pressure!) I settled with a team who was being coached by a former Olympic swim coach and was happy as a clam.

Secret to being perpetually happy - I partition really well, I try to put a positive spin on things, and if all else fails then I fake it. ;)

Biggest faux pas - hmm...don't know if this is the biggest one, but this certainly gets brought up the most for a good laugh at work. A few years back, a local zoo worker/owner (big guy who is not very friendly and who I don't know very well at all) came into the clinic with a red tailed hawk for us to look at. While he was holding this big bird with super sharp talons on his arm, a flat fly came buzzing off the bird and landed on the fellow's chest without him even realizing it. Flat flys are commonly found on birds of prey and they are annoying as crap if they get on you. They like to get in your hair and drive you mad. Well, I was super focused on the fly while the guy was in business mode and concentrating on the bird at hand. ;) I had the fly in my sights and quite swiftly and without any warning hauled off and open handedly smashed the fly on his chest. !!! While he had the bird on his arm. !!!!! Without any warning. !!!! He was not pleased. The only thing I could think of to say was "flat fly". After a moment of silence, my fellow employes erupted with laughter. I don't believe the zoo guy ever saw the humor.

Do I like camping? - no.

Favorite motto - that which does not kill you makes you stronger. It can apply to so many things in life, and has gotten me through so many tough moments.

To start, happy turkey day !

Tonight will you be cooking or watching football ?

Thank you Elvis!! :)

Watching football.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Thank you Elvis!! :)

Watching football.

Who is in the kitchen ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Hey

- favourite swim set ?
    - favourite meal ? (with recipe please)
    - Deep south Liberal from Virginia ? any family members from the past with alternate views and hoods ? Just askin'

tunney wrote: »
    How long are you married?
    What do you do for a living?
    What does hubbie do for a living?

Hello, Tunney.

How long married - longer than I care to think about. More than two decades. :eek:

What do I do for a living - I am actually a CPA. Worked in public accounting for many years util my veterinarian hubby and I opened our own veterinary clinic here in Luray. I split my time in the clinic between doing the books/managing the business and assisting with the animals.

What does hubby do for a living - as above, doctor in charge of our animal clinic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have you ever participated in any other sports?
    When did you start swimming? What would a typical swim training week have looked like for you?
    Are you going to do DCM again?
    Going to travel to do a triathlon?
    Any Ironman dreams?
    Did you swoon when you met digger?
    How many inappropriate comments did digger make in the first 5 minutes after meeting you?
    Wha'ts your favourite flavour of crisps? (do they have them the way we do in the states? :confused:)
    Favourite chocolate treat?
    Favourite cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How high did you get in swimming? What was your peak in that sport? And when/why did you switch from being a swimmer, to someone who swims but takes part as much in other sports?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Describe you best ever swimming competitors and competition?
    French wine or Freedom Fries?
    How far can you swim underwater on one breath?
    Have you ever considered fattening up for winter so you could extend your backyard swim season?
    Whats a nice American girl like you doing in a place like this?
    One night in heaven- shotgun or interested?

Ah Kurt. Last time I saw you you were straddling three of us girls in a bar.

Best ever swimming competitors and competition - hmmm....my arch rival for so many years was a gal named Connie Crowley, so I could go with her and beating her at the Allstar swim meet while taking gold....but instead I'll say the best group of competitors (because you had an "s" on competitors) was my swimming mates on my high school team (very close - like family, but ruthless in the water)...and best competition was the after party we would have Saturday night after State Championships. We usually kicked @ss and the coaches would fill up bathtubs with alcohol for us.

French wine or freedom fries - French wine

How far underwater with one breath - embarrassingly not that far. Probably only 30 to 40 yards.

Fattening up for winter to extend my pool - ha!! I'd invest in a bubble to convert it to indoors first. And don't think I haven't already tried to justify doing that!

What's a nice American girl doing in a place like this - seeing how the other half lives....and liking it.

One night in heaven, shotgun or interested - Mmmm....nice try, but I don't kiss and tell, and I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole. :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    One night in heaven, shotgun or interested - Mmmm....nice try, but I don't kiss and tell, and I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole. :D

Neither so

Neither so
    or both.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    or both.

Down into the gutter we go........

pgibbo wrote: »
    You're obviously a bit of a fish given you do kick sets faster than most of us swim :D What level did you swim to?
    What has been your greatest/most memorable sporting achievement?
    What got you in to triathlon and endurance sports?
    Where's the nicest place that you've swam?
    Have you Irish roots or is there another reason for your love of Ireland?

Hope the turkey goes down well today :cool:

Thanks for the turkey wishes. :)

What level did I swim at - AAU, year round, two a days. Competed up and down the east coast, qualified for junior nationals, held state records. Burned out by 18, tbh. Swimming/competing like that takes its toll...it's full of sacrifices....but it taught me a lot, and I feel so lucky I had the opportunity.

Greatest/most memorable sporting achievement - holding state records for a few years was a nice achievement, but holding several summer club pool records for more than two decades (the longest may have been three decades since they started recording age group records at 8 years and under) always had a special feeling to it, especially if I was visiting the pool after some absence.

What got me into triathlon and endurance sports - I had always had triathlon in the back of my mind because I could swim, but when our little town started hosting a triathlon, that's when my interest started to become a reality. But it honestly wasn't until catweazle lured me into this forum that triathlon and endurance became a reality in the true sense. He got me hooked by getting me hooked on you folks. I blame catweazle.

Where's the nicest place I've ever swam - probably in Hawaii in the crystal clear water. But my own pool is pretty awesome too.

Have I Irish roots - yes. My grandfather was born and raised on Achill, and I have citizenship in Ireland.

Do you find a significant anti-yank attitude amongst the Irish?
    Does it annoy you?

Is Obama America?

You guys are cracking me up. I'll be back shortly.......

Can you do a handstand?
    Can you play a musical instrument?
    Favourite disney character?
    If you could be any famous person in history, who would it be and why?

A three year olds pet, say goldfish, are dead.

How do you break the news to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

A three year olds pet, say goldfish, are dead.

How do you break the news to them?

As an accountant Id imagine 'there there, how would you like to pay for the destruction of the carcass ?'

interested wrote: »
    As an accountant Id imagine 'there there, how would you like to pay for the destruction of the carcass ?'

A CPA who runs a veterinary surgery....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

interested wrote: »

As someone who likes food "Would you like chips with the fish"

• Advertisement

1) Was i taller than you expected?
    2) Strangest or a good ending animal story relating to the vets?
    3) Do you believe you have the capability to one day get close to or under 3hrs in a marathon?
    4) MCOS, Kurt Godel, Tunney, put each in a box. Person you would want to be placed on a stranded island with, a nice evening meal & a chat with or go out for pints and a boogie on the dance floor?
    5) Pizza or pasta?
    6) What do you like the most about this little section on the interwebs?

Tallness - You were definitely taller than I expected! After hearing all your "friends" (hello Tunney) rag on you about being so short, I had expected a Wizard of Oz-like lollipop-guild munchkin to be trying to following at DCM. Was afraid I have to keep looking down amongst the feet of the runners to find you, but no such thing!!!

Strangest animal story - probably the two headed calf that we delivered by C-Section. The calf(s??) lived almost to term, but were dead once out. We didn't know the calf had two heads....just that there were two heads. What a freaky surprise that was!!!

Sub 3 marathon or close - yes.

MCOS, Kurt, Tunney - wow. Each in a box. Very tempting indeed. :D I am going to read your question as asking which "date" I would want to share with which fella - so three dates, I just choose which for which. The stranded island would be with Kurt because he's quirky and resourceful....I mean, just look at the backyard pool he constructed!!! I'd be entertained and looked after by him. The nice evening meal and chats would have to be with MCOS as he seems quite the gentleman and is never at a loss for flattering words. So that leaves me with Tunney to get drunk with and dance til dawn with. How could I resist him under those circumstances? I hear he's a crazy man on the dance floor!!!

Pizza or pasta - pasta.

What do I like most about this little section on the interwebs - if you are asking what I like about Boards in general, it would be the inspiration I derive from you folks, the camaraderie I feel we share, and the humor you all spew so effortlessly. If you are asking what I like about this "spotlight" thing, it would be the chance to see the complete package of the athlete. (no 10 foot pole reference with the package thingy intended. ;))

Advertisement