Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight! America After Dark with Dory!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

tunney wrote: »
    Who is in the kitchen ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Not me. I'm heading to family for dinner and I don't have to do a thing!! (not my side of the family...it's just enough that I'm showing up, trust me!)

interested wrote: »
    Hey

- favourite swim set ?
    - favourite meal ? (with recipe please)
    - Deep south Liberal from Virginia ? any family members from the past with alternate views and hoods ? Just askin'

Hey there yourself. :)

Favorite swim set - ah, I can't lie to you folks...there is nothing more hypnotic and drug-like for me than to do a long and steady swim. I get into a rhythm and all the world's problems just melt away. My own private lap pool in the 20 acre backyard on the hill allows for compete isolation, which is pretty incredible, especially in the evening when the sun is going down behind the mountains to the west.

Favorite meal - might be my fish stew I make. I don't have the recipe with me as I am traveling in the car right now but I can post it here later if you'd like.

Deep South liberal from Virginia - I was born in DC....Georgetown Hospital to be exact. I have never considered myself southern...always felt my side won the war. However (thanks, interested, for asking ;);)), little did I know until we were at a family funeral and one of my cousins shared this little morsel with me, but my grandfather (not my Irish grandfather!) was in the KKK! :eek::eek::eek: Oh, I felt sick to my stomach. Still disgusts me to think about it. So not who I am. But there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'm not too sure if I'm in a box, out of a box, or having the pi$$ taken out of my dancing. but anyways:

For you triathlon career : define sucess
    For you running career : define sucess

Have you ever participated in any other sports?
    When did you start swimming? What would a typical swim training week have looked like for you?
    Are you going to do DCM again?
    Going to travel to do a triathlon?
    Any Ironman dreams?
    Did you swoon when you met digger?
    How many inappropriate comments did digger make in the first 5 minutes after meeting you?
    Wha'ts your favourite flavour of crisps? (do they have them the way we do in the states? :confused:)
    Favourite chocolate treat?
    Favourite cake?

Have I participated in other sports - yes. I played softball, basketball, soccer, kickball, and every playground game imaginable. I pretty much sucked at them all, but to my parents credit, they wanted me exposed to all of them. I also did tap dance and ballet as a little girl.

I started swimming on a team at age 6. In my prime, a typical swim week would be practice before school from 5 to 6:30am, after school from 4 to 5:30pm Monday through Friday...then if we weren't off to a meet at the weekend we'd have a 2 hour session on Saturday.

Will I do DCM again - if DCM will have me back, then I will be there!

Travel to do a tri - I most certainly would love to do a tri anywhere with any of you folks. Hint, hint. So, yes.

Ironman - hope to check that box in 2015.

Did I swoon when I met Digger - no. Unlike jackyback, he was smaller than I expected.

How many inappropriate comments did Digger make - none, actually. The first time I met him was in Boston. He was quiet at a church mouse - I was disappointed, actually. I think he may have been overwhelmed by the magnitude that is/was Boston.

Favorite flavor crisp - ah...I was waiting for you to ask!!! :D I think crisp would be a potato chip here...and I do love Sour Cream and Onion.

Favorite chocolate treat - there is nothing more satisfying than a really nice piece of solid milk chocolate. Oryx had a Cadbury chocolate bar for me at DCM, and it was almost sinful the way that tasted to me.

Favorite cake - a Chocolate Stout cake make with Guinness!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

*note to self. Send more cadburys to virginia.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    How high did you get in swimming? What was your peak in that sport? And when/why did you switch from being a swimmer, to someone who swims but takes part as much in other sports?

How did I get into swimming - we had a community pool that my dad played an integral role in - he actually was instrumental in its construction before I ever came on the scene. Fast forward, I am born and mom is a stay at home wife/mother. I was lucky, mom loved going to the pool (funny though, she did not swim - would never put her head under water) and she would take me and my brother there every day. She got me into lessons early and I apparently had a natural ability in the water - no fear and I could move. The summer club coach took notice and asked me to join the team when I was 6.

My peak - would have been in my teens - my backstoke in particular. State records, pool records. Also captain of the high school swim team my junior and senior years.

Why did I switch from being a swimmer - well, after I went to college I quit swimming competitively all together. I swam recreationally, but only to keep myself fit. But after I married and moved to the sticks where there are no pools readily available, and after years and years of basically not doing any sport worth talking about, I decided to start walking/jogging...which then morphed into jogging/jogging fast.....which then morphed into trying to run about three years ago. It was in part circumstantial. I'll always consider myself a swimmer, but in addition to circumstances forcing me to learn other disciplines (running, cycling), the realization that I'll never be able to match my times in the pool is a hard pill to swallow, thus making the dabbling in a new sport, one in which I've loads of room for improvement/potential/success, a very desirable prospect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »
    *note to self. Send more cadburys to virginia.

Send her one of these amazing things...

1454712_10152165482926833_1333687077_n.jpg

Do you find a significant anti-yank attitude amongst the Irish?
    Does it annoy you?

Is Obama America?

Do I find a significant anti-yank attitude amongst the Irish - no. I've come across the random ignorant generalization, but it's not often.

Does it annoy me - no. I pity ignorance.

Is Obama America(n) - yes, you silly goose, he is. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

how did you find boards first?

whats your opinion of
    1)californians
    2) new yorkers
    3) Canadians

You've done races on both sides of the atlantic: what are the biggest differences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Very entertaining answers Dory!

What advice would you give to an ultra-competitive 9 year old girl swimmer, who has been told by coach to "reach as far back as possible" when doing backstroke, who reaches back so far and with such gusto that her head goes deep under the water... how to correct the stroke and bottle the enthusiasm?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Did you compete in NCAAs? If so favourite dual meet/biggest college rivalry?

Which boardsie has a biggest bullseye on their back in the coming year?

How come you didn't ask to move your training log to the big time in the build up to Boston/Dublin :D?

How have you survived without porridge for this long?:eek:

Oryx wrote: »
    Can you do a handstand?
    Can you play a musical instrument?
    Favourite disney character?
    If you could be any famous person in history, who would it be and why?

Can I do a handstand - :o I honestly don't think so without help. Perhaps if I practice at it I can.

Can I play a musical instrument - yes, the piano. My grandmother taught piano (but I didn't take from her as she was dead by that point), and my dad sang barbershop, so music has always been a big part of my life.

Favorite Disney Character - oh gosh....I don't have kids....love Mckey, and Minnie is as cute as, well, a mouse......but I guess since you didn't say the character had to be animated, I'm going with Jack Sparrow! Johnny Depp was HOT in that movie!

If I could be a famous person - this is a tough one. I'm drawing a blank on a particulat person, but rather I will answer this by saying I would want to be famous for my expertise and creativity in some kind of art - either music, dance or photography. I would want that art to bring joy and a new element/perspective/feel to those who it touched. And I would want it to inspire or give strength or provide passion as well.

Okay...I now must go partake in the annual carving of the sacrificed turkey. I shall return later to get caught up!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Did you get a swim scholarship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

With the season that's in it:

Thanksgiving or Christmas?
    What are you favourite and least favourite Christmas songs? Fav/least fav Christmas traditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

What are your thoughts on Diana Nyad and her big swim??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Can sweet potatoes and marshmallows ever be too sweet?
    Pecan pie or apple crumble?
    Whipped or Creme-U-like?
    Store turkey or proper game (ie. spitting shot pellets)?
    Coors Lite or Sierra Nevada?
    Bite-U-tongue or Pistols-at-dawn?

Happy Thanksgiving! (I always loved Thanksgiving in the States, its proper authentic, like Christmas in Ireland in the 1980's. We've just had game pie here and are feeling melancholic for our Stateside cousins- so all the best to you and yours! And god bless those gullible, trinket-lovin' injuns!:))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

10 quickies ;)
    Last movie to make you cry?
    What have you done with complete reckless abandon?
    Swim in your pool or run in your field for the rest of your life, one only?
    Favourite sandwich?
    Guilty pleasure?
    Are we alone in this universe?
    What would you say to your 20 year old self?
    Favourite yoga pose?
    Your favourite childhood Santa present?
    Kurt is busy washing his hair, what 5 essential possessions do you bring to the desert Island for a year instead?

Happy Thanksgiving hoochiedoubledee

:)

A three year olds pet, say goldfish, are dead.

How do you break the news to them?

Hmmm.....I'm thinking Monty Python dead parrot skit. ;)

interested wrote: »
    As an accountant Id imagine 'there there, how would you like to pay for the destruction of the carcass ?'

Actually, that would have been decided in advance. ;)

• Advertisement

I'm not too sure if I'm in a box, out of a box, or having the pi$$ taken out of my dancing. but anyways:

For you triathlon career : define sucess
    For you running career : define sucess

Triathlon career success - gosh, a toughie because I have only just begun this triathlon thing....and I honestly do not know my potential, therefore I do not know what my realistic goals are. I do have my sights on a full IM in 2015, so in some ways completing that distance is a success of sorts. I'll probably have a much better idea how to answer this question after I master the bike and after I complete the HIM in June.

Running career success - at first it was to complete in respectable fashion a marathon. Next it was to complete a marathon in less than 3:30. Now I think it will be to get as close to 3 hours as possible. In some ways I feel I've already had a successful running career in a very short span of time, but I don't feel I'm finished yet.

mossym wrote: »
    how did you find boards first?

whats your opinion of
    1)californians
    2) new yorkers
    3) Canadians

You've done races on both sides of the atlantic: what are the biggest differences?

How did I find boards - I had signed up for the Achill half marathon in 2011 and had a very silly question about the sizing of the race shirt and sent the organizers an email. Well, luck would have it that the recipient of my silly email was our very own catweazle, and his friendly and accommodating response struck up a friendship between us. We kept in touch after the half marathon, then he got me hooked reading boards, then encouraged me to start logging. I was very hesitant at first, but after the first week or so all fears were gone.

Californians - only really know one or two and they are fine in my book. Easy going, slightly trendy, and have an open and positive mind.

New Yorkers - again, only know a handful, but would say they are uber focused and always on the go. Friendly in their own way.

Canadians - don't know any.

Race differences on both sides of the Atlantic - the way the water is served at races!!!!! Here, it is served in cups. :confused: Over there, it is very correctly served in little bottles that athletes can carry and sip on while running. Oh, and over there you guys will share your bottles of water with each other during a race. Here, there's not much sharing of spit and saliva going on at the level I'm racing!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Very entertaining answers Dory!

What advice would you give to an ultra-competitive 9 year old girl swimmer, who has been told by coach to "reach as far back as possible" when doing backstroke, who reaches back so far and with such gusto that her head goes deep under the water... how to correct the stroke and bottle the enthusiasm?:)

Glad you are enjoying this!! :)

Okay....9 year old...ultra-competitive and enthusiastic little fish who throws her head back while doing backstroke. Hmmm....and I will certainly defer to interested if he has a better suggestion since he is still actively coaching and may know current proper technique better than I....but....regarding the stroke - without lifting her head totally out of the water, I would have her keep her eyes looking down at her feet. This will obviously keep her from dunking her head underwater and encourage proper head position while creating less drag. I would also look at her hand entry - make sure her pinky finger enters first with palm facing out. This makes for a cleaner hand entry and positions the hand/arm to catch the water.

As far as the enthusiasm goes....do you mean she is trying too hard? Over-correcting things? If so, tell her to try and slow things down when learning something new or making adjustments. Sometimes even making these tweaks on the deck or laying at the edge of the pool (laying on back with body lengthwise at edge of deck and shoulder/arm over the water) (or on a bench) can help.

ecoli wrote: »
    Did you compete in NCAAs? If so favourite dual meet/biggest college rivalry?

Which boardsie has a biggest bullseye on their back in the coming year?

How come you didn't ask to move your training log to the big time in the build up to Boston/Dublin :D?

How have you survived without porridge for this long?:eek:

NCAAs - no, I could have swam in college but I opted not to due to being totally burned out and realizing I wasn't going to be earning a living swimming.

Which boardsie has the biggest bullseye on their back in the coming year - well, the bullseye has always been on catweazle's back, so we'll have to see if we can make a little head to head combat a reality. :D

Why didn't I ask to have my log moved to the big time for Boston/Dublin - you mean I could've had it moved???? ;)

How have I survived without porridge for this long - too funny that you would remember! I don't know. I have a funny thing about food and texture, and I think I always avoided it due to the way it looked. But how could I refuse real Irish made porridge by our own Marthastew and served up with all the fixin's by Mr. Stew?? Was quite yummy!!! Haven't had is since, though.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Did you get a swim scholarship?

Did not swim in college - was burned out, needed a break, and wanted to focus on what I was going to be when I grew up.

MrCreosote wrote: »
    With the season that's in it:

Thanksgiving or Christmas?
    What are you favourite and least favourite Christmas songs? Fav/least fav Christmas traditions?

Thanksgiving or Christmas - Christmas!!!! :D

Fav/least fave Christmas songs - no season is complete without the classic White Christmas by Bing Crosby...I also enjoy God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman by Barenaked Ladies and Ave Maria by Chris Cornell. I cannot stand The Little Drummer Boy sung or performed by any one!!!!!

Fav/least fav Christmas traditions - love having the big meal then opening gifts on Christmas Eve, having fried oysters with Christmas breakfast, then laying around the rest of the day eating leftovers and playing with my new toys. Handwriting Christmas cards to family and friends is honestly a pain in the @ss.

griffin100 wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on Diana Nyad and her big swim??

I don't really get it, to be honest. I can think of so many other things I'd rather be doing with my time, energy and money than what she did. Plus, I just got the feeling she was screaming, "look at me, look at me!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Handwriting Christmas cards to family and friends is honestly a pain in the @ss.

We got a stamp made up: "Dear....... Happy Christmas. Thank you for your nice gift/photo/card (delete this bit as appropriate). Hope the kids/pets/cars are going strong. Have a great 20.."

One person fills in the name, and one signs.

Time-saving and still thoughtful!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Can sweet potatoes and marshmallows ever be too sweet?
    Pecan pie or apple crumble?
    Whipped or Creme-U-like?
    Store turkey or proper game (ie. spitting shot pellets)?
    Coors Lite or Sierra Nevada?
    Bite-U-tongue or Pistols-at-dawn?

Happy Thanksgiving! (I always loved Thanksgiving in the States, its proper authentic, like Christmas in Ireland in the 1980's. We've just had game pie here and are feeling melancholic for our Stateside cousins- so all the best to you and yours! And god bless those gullible, trinket-lovin' injuns!:))

Sweet potatoes/marshmallows - YUCK!!! Even the mention of marshmallows and sweet potatoes makes me shudder. I like my sweet potatoes baked and whipped with butter. That's all.

Pecan pie/apple crumble - I lovelovelove pecan pie. Served warm with vanilla ice cream, please. :D

Whipped or Creme-U-Like - :confused::confused: How much wine have you had tonight?? I have no idea what Creme-U-like is, and, well, hmm. Google it, but no go. Let's just say I like real whipped cream made with real heavy whipping cream and plenty of powdered sugar in it. I like it sweet.

Store turkey or proper game - store turkey....I do not like the taste of wild turkey and it's always dried out.

Coors Lite or Sierra Nevada - Coors Lite. :o

Bite-U-Tongue or Pistols-at-dawn - I tend to be an avoider of confrontation, so I guess Bite-U-Tongue.

• Advertisement

10 quickies ;)
    Last movie to make you cry?
    What have you done with complete reckless abandon?
    Swim in your pool or run in your field for the rest of your life, one only?
    Favourite sandwich?
    Guilty pleasure?
    Are we alone in this universe?
    What would you say to your 20 year old self?
    Favourite yoga pose?
    Your favourite childhood Santa present?
    Kurt is busy washing his hair, what 5 essential possessions do you bring to the desert Island for a year instead?

Happy Thanksgiving hoochiedoubledee

:)

Last movie to make me cry - I can't remember the last movie that made me cry, but the last book that made me cry was Silver Lining Playbook.

What have I done with complete reckless abandon - got a tattoo while at Fort Lauderdale over spring break.

Swim in my pool or run in my field the rest of my life - swim in my pool. :)

Favorite sandwich - right now it would be a chicken salad sandwich made with grapes and nuts and served on a warmed croissant.

Guilty pleasure - an evening alone in my house watching either a hockey game or a comedy in my PJs while making a meal out of popcorn, wine and chocolate and staying up as late as I want.

Are we alone in this universe - haven't a clue...but I'm fine either way.

What would I say to my 20 year old self - lots of things....such as: live your life with passion....pay attention to red flags.....and move to Las Vegas and perform in "O" Crique du Soleil. ;)

Favorite yoga pose - shoulder stand.

Favorite childhood Santa present - probably my purple banana bike. :D

Kurt is washing his hair...5 essentials to the island - first of all, Kurt has no hair!!! But, I'll play - 1) my preloaded with all my favorite music iPad complete with a year's worth of prepaid internet and solar powered, 2) lots of moisturizer with UV protection in it, 3) solar driven Weber grill set, 4) pre-stocked Tiki bar, 5) and interested because he can hold his breath the longest underwater and he will be my personal fisherman. :D

Advertisement