Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage question

Options
  • 28-11-2013 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

Okay I'm just wondering here, this is not my circumstances. So lets say I have a mortgage and I fail to pay it for lets say six months, bank constantly ringing.
    So what happens do they just take the house and that's it, I do not need to pay any money like fees etc..?

I know your credit rating is gone if you want to buy another house and I doubt you will ever get another mortgage again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

If a bank repossesses your house, they sell it. You are liable for the short-fall and all associated costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

peteb2 wrote: »
    If a bank repossesses your house, they sell it. You are liable for the short-fall and all associated costs.

All associated costs is a big one here. A repossession requires the bank to go to court to get a repossession order, so as well as the interest on the loan, they're racking up legal bills to get that order against you. Then there's the auctioneer fees and legal costs of selling the house. Unless the sale proceeds covers everything, they can still chase you for the shortfall.

Advertisement