Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii for Kids

• 28-11-2013 8:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Looking for a wii for the kids. Three of them from age 3 to 5. I know nothing about consoles and games.

Was told by someone to buy the old Wii but he also said it's nearly 10 years old but would be fine for kids that age. Is this correct or do should I get the new Wii U. Rather not spend that much though.

Also are there any recommendations for games that all three can play together. I presume the console only comes with two controllers, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

thomasm wrote: »
    Looking for a wii for the kids. Three of them from age 3 to 5. I know nothing about consoles and games.

Was told by someone to buy the old Wii but he also said it's nearly 10 years old but would be fine for kids that age. Is this correct or do should I get the new Wii U. Rather not spend that much though.

Also are there any recommendations for games that all three can play together. I presume the console only comes with two controllers, thanks

At 3 & 5 I dont think there would be too much advantage in getting the new Wii U.

Personally I would buy a second hand Wii, they were pretty solidly built and didnt have too many issues.

The main reason for this is that controllers are expensive. The Wii comes with one controller and one nunchuk (analog stick that plugs into the controller). Depending on the games you might need just another controller (~€45) or you might also need a nunchuck (~€25).

Some games that I think would suit:

Boomblox (I think there is two versions, either one) - This can be played with one remote and both kids could play. Think of it almost like a 3d angry birds, throw stuff at block to knock them over

Lego Batman & Lego Star wars) - probably requires both player to have nunchucks, might be a little over the 3YO head, but they can play at the same time.

New Super Mario Brothers Wii - Also can play at the same time, requires two remotes

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭_Godot_

If you get the wii u, you can play both wii u and wii games.

Wii:
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Mario Kart
    Rayman Raving Rabbids
    Sports Resort
    Super Smash Bros.
    Mario Party 8
    Mario Strikers Charged
    WarioWare: Smooth Moves
    Boom Blox: Bash Party
    ExciteBots: Trick Racing
    NBA Jam

Wii U:
    Super Mario 3D World
    Rabbits Land
    Fifa 13
    New Super Mario Bros U
    Nintendo Land

If it's got Mario or Sonic in the name and has multiplayer, it's safe for little kids to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

FYI a Nintendo WiiU with Lego City & Rayman Bundle is 5 minutes away from coming up on Amazon black fridays deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

zero19 wrote: »
    FYI a Nintendo WiiU with Lego City & Rayman Bundle is 5 minutes away from coming up on Amazon black fridays deals

It's up for 239 sterling. Is this a good deal for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Just a thought regarding the wii u, the game pad would be huge for small kids to try and use/hold and then the wii controllers would be another expense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I agree with DeSelby. It also would be expensive if it was dropped!

Just a quick look on adverts brings up something like this:

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-wii-comes-with-everything-and-more/4317570

Presumably two controllers, def two nunchucks, a couple of steering wheels and a few games for €85 asking price. You might get one with more stuff for not alot more too, there is real decent value in second hand wii as they were a popular dust collector :)

I have a couple of younger brothers (bit older than your lot now though) and I think a wii is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Will the new games designed for the WiiU be compatible with the old Wii?

Reason I ask is we just bought the old Wii for our two, ages 7&5. We got a deal in Smyths of a wii and Mario game for something like €150.

They really just want what all their friends have and at that age I just don't want to risk a very expensive piece of equipment in the hands of a junior infant who can't even dress himself properly yet.
    but id love to know if it will work with the new games.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

At those ages don't bother spending much money as you'll get plenty of mileage out of a second hand Wii.

My son didn't really take notice of the Wii til he was 5. They really don't have the fine motor skills developed enough until then.

For smaller kids Mario Kart is a good one as the steering wheel is easier than using all the buttons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My 7 year old nephew and 5 year old niece are hooked on Super Mario Bros Wii. Tough game for kids though after the first few worlds (their uncle finds it tough in places too!)

The Rabbids games are good fun, and I preferred the original Boom Blox to it's sequel Boom Blox Bash Party - both can be picked up for less than a tenner, 2nd hand.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is also a good one for kids - about €20 2nd hand.

If buying the console 2nd hand, make sure the Wii Remotes have wrist straps. You'll thank me later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

Hi, I have 2 daughters 10 and 11 who enjoy playing the wii party type games. They probably play a couple of times a week. I'm considering getting them a wii u for Xmas, and would be really grateful for any advice. I understand that they can play their old wii games on the wii u, but that the new wii u games cannot be played on the old console - so I suppose they are going to run out of new games to play eventually if I don't change the console. The trouble is, having two kids, I am unsure about this controller with the screen that comes with the wii u - it seems that only one is supplied - does this not cause arguments during game play? I can see mine fighting over it! I can't understand why they don't supply 2 - but maybe I'm missing something? Would it be worth my while paying out for one of these? They are only interested in the wii type games, so I don't see any other type of console being an option. Thanks for reading!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭branners69

@ OP As most poster are advising the Wii will more than do the job! A must game is Wii Party, my kids 7, 4 and twin boys 2 love it!

If you need extra controllers check out www.dx.com and if you need the wheels check out the €2 Shops!

branners69 wrote: »
    @ OP As most poster are advising the Wii will more than do the job! A must game is Wii Party, my kids 7, 4 and twin boys 2 love it!

If you need extra controllers check out www.dx.com and if you need the wheels check out the €2 Shops!

Certainly looks that way, thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

We bought a Wii last Christmas, our kids were 6 & 3 then. It came with Mario & Sonic London Olympics and they still love playing it, there's so many sub-games we didn't end up buying any other games for it. We did however purchase a few extra cheap controllers over the year for when their friends are over. I picked up World of Goo for €5 for our 7-year old boy, and Disney Princess for our 4-year-old daughter, and the Tangled game for them to share. All had decent reviews online for the relevant the age groups, so hopefully they'll like them.

I don't see the point in getting a high-end console at this age, I'd love one myself but I hardly have time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

thomasm wrote: »
    It's up for 239 sterling. Is this a good deal for this

I got it this morning for £199 as a Black Friday deal (coming to €245) - bit of an impulse buy but looking forward to opening my present on Xmas morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    I got it this morning for £199 as a Black Friday deal (coming to €245) - bit of an impulse buy but looking forward to opening my present on Xmas morning :D

got it myself this morning for 199sterling lightning deal. Decent price alright. Cant wait for Xmas morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

For a 3 and a 5 year old I'd say Wii not Wii U and even then I wouldn't expect the 3 year old to get a lot of play out of it. I did get a Wii U for my son, 7, and he likes it, plays Pikmin etc, but I don't think he'd have gotten great use out of it 2 years ago and I know as a 3 year old the only thing he managed to do with my Wii was break it by forcing discs in there when it was turned off... (something he years later was kicking himself over doing! :P)

Actually when he was younger, he always favoured the XBox 360 and the Lego games for it along with a couple of others. He preferred the controller (the movement aspect of the Wii lost its charm rather fast for him).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

nesf wrote: »
    Actually when he was younger, he always favoured the XBox 360 and the Lego games for it along with a couple of others. He preferred the controller (the movement aspect of the Wii lost its charm rather fast for him).
    I don't really have many games that'd be suitable for someone of the age demographic... Either too hard, or whatever else. The game I end up putting on for my nephew a lot is actually one on the 360. Doritos Crash Course. Well, the sequel too, actually. They're actually a lot of fun. He's 3 and loves it. I didn't get around to buying Sonic Transformed, but I put on the demo to that as well for him. He likes that too, in a feck acting way rather than actually trying to win as you'd probably expect at that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I don't really have many games that'd be suitable for someone of the age demographic... Either too hard, or whatever else. The game I end up putting on for my nephew a lot is actually one on the 360. Doritos Crash Course. Well, the sequel too, actually. They're actually a lot of fun. He's 3 and loves it. I didn't get around to buying Sonic Transformed, but I put on the demo to that as well for him. He likes that too, in a feck acting way rather than actually trying to win as you'd probably expect at that age.

Remember that that age demographic will take three Lego games for instance and play them cyclically over and over for months at a time with no complaint. I introduced my son to a PC RTS game called Dawn of War about a year and a half ago, he is still playing against the AI in it several times a week.

Kids that age just don't get as bored as quickly as us jaded adults do. They're far more likely to react to completing a game by creating a new save next week and doing it all over again. Or in the Lego games going back to try and get everything unlocked (I swear these games are like crack cocaine for a certain age group).

Advertisement