Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Lights?

Options
  • 28-11-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

So what's the latest with the Christmas lights? I know the Chamber of Commerce won't spring for them again this year since getting stiffed for forty grand from the Borough for 2012's illuminations.

Even if a magic cheque was pulled out of a hat, it'd be January by the time they'd get them put up. The town will be a little duller this year :(

Should us Sligo Boardsies chip in to help with lighting the town? I have a spare string or two of lights (two bulbs broke but the rest are fine).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

my understanding was that the cost of the 2012 lights was recently paid by the council to the coc. very late of course.
    the o connell street traders are paying for that street themselves this year, possibly with the expectation that the council will pay up after the event again. don't know about the other streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

there has just been an announcement that the lights will be going up on all the normal streets in sligo town with the council funding etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

promethius wrote: »
    there has just been an announcement that the lights will be going up on all the normal streets in sligo town with the council funding etc...

Woohoo, the power of Boards strikes again :D
    Sligo Town will get its Christmas lights this year.

The Sligo Chamber of Commerce says the installation of the lights will start as soon as possible.

There were fears the town would be left in darkness this holiday season after there was a delay in funding being released.

Local cllrs and members of the Sligo Borough Council Executive held a series of meetings with chamber to try to resolve the funding issues.

And this morning the chamber released a statement saying they have received the necessary assurances that it required to finance the installation of Christmas Lights for the forthcoming season.

Chamber CEO Paul Keyes, says they expect to have the lights in place by December the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Such an ordeal to put up what are arguably the most miserable christmas lights in the country!
    At least its better than nothing anyway. Just.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

in fairness .. some of the shops have made a great effort .. look at Feehilys .. then there is that delivery van guy.. he has made a great job it .. might even get him to deliver something tomorrow night for the kids when they are watching the late late toy show!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Feehily's have done a great job making the town sparkle, looking at Kate's Kitchen especially, and I spotted the Molly's delivery van all decked out too!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

The Sligo Businesses should make more of an effort with their own shop fronts and put on a good Christmas display and quit their whining. Most of the shop-fronts in Sligo are dirty and ran down looking and in need of a good paint.

I will be off to do my Christmas shopping in Enniskillen anyways, where retailers are more friendly, more atmosphere, cheap parking, clean town, with nice Christmas shop displays and a good cheer.

O'Connell street in Sligo is desperate looking, and embarrassing from a tourist point of view. The access road into Sligo town from the conaughton road slide is disgraceful. Dirty timber/graffiti along the whole boundary of the Model Arts Centre and then a traveler halting site. Great first impression.

Traffic should be brought down the mall, past the old historic church and nice buildings, such as the front of the model, Old Hazelwood stores shop. This would also re-open up the mall and give it a fresh lease of life and would be an excellent first impression for people coming into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

You are right about the Mall .. its a lovely street and should be used more .. and that boarding around the model is terrible looking.. but at least some of the shops are making an effort .. I hate the footpaths on O'Connell street .. especially the red "extended" footpath .. my two kids always want to walk on that .."its ok daddy its the footpath aswell" hopefully lights will brighten it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    You are right about the Mall .. its a lovely street and should be used more .. and that boarding around the model is terrible looking.. but at least some of the shops are making an effort .. I hate the footpaths on O'Connell street .. especially the red "extended" footpath .. my two kids always want to walk on that .."its ok daddy its the footpath aswell" hopefully lights will brighten it up a bit

Yeah, If the council would direct the traffic down the Mall, entering Sligo would be more visually appealing. The Mall is one of Sligos most interesting streets and Sligo Council decide to by-pass and send people via that horrible hoarding around the model the the 'traveler camp'. ??

O'Connell Street could be very easily freshend up by the right person for €20,000. All it needs is a nice fresh coat of tarmac and some more trees in boxes and the footpaths relayed. It could be done in a week with little disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Sligo showing yet again why it's an absolute joke of a self proclaimed 'city'!

I personally wont miss the lights, I've hated them since they started using those frame lights. Not one of the streets in the town is straight. They wouldn't look nearly as bad if they actually aligned them! A much better use of Christmas lights would have been to hang single units on either side of the road and to put some lights on trees or along the river!

I personally would love to see the trees along the inner relief road & Summerhill roundabout lit, not all of them, every 2nd or 3rd one would give the effect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I thought they had decided to install them after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

A mate of mine reckons they're like a gate going into a field with a rope light around it.

To be fair, businesses are struggling, I'd say penneys are the only shop doing anything!

Any free parking this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

The Christmas lights sums up the mentality of Sligo town. Passed through Tubbercurry the other day, the lights aren't great but a hell of a lot better then what's in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Carson10 wrote: »
    The Sligo Businesses should make more of an effort with their own shop fronts and put on a good Christmas display and quit their whining. Most of the shop-fronts in Sligo are dirty and ran down looking and in need of a good paint.

I will be off to do my Christmas shopping in Enniskillen anyways, where retailers are more friendly, more atmosphere, cheap parking, clean town, with nice Christmas shop displays and a good cheer.

O'Connell street in Sligo is desperate looking, and embarrassing from a tourist point of view. The access road into Sligo town from the conaughton road slide is disgraceful. Dirty timber/graffiti along the whole boundary of the Model Arts Centre and then a traveler halting site. Great first impression.

Traffic should be brought down the mall, past the old historic church and nice buildings, such as the front of the model, Old Hazelwood stores shop. This would also re-open up the mall and give it a fresh lease of life and would be an excellent first impression for people coming into town.

Easy to see you aren't a business owner in Sligo town. With the rates they pay and they're told there won't even be a few christmas lights I can see why they'd be giving out.

Advertisement