Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Work Experience

• 28-11-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a course in computer network maintenance & installation and for the last month of my course (March 2014) I need to do a full month of work experience (Preferably in the Ennis area). I have a massive love of technology and computers in general and I would love the chance to experiencing working in any area of IT.

Does anyone know someone who might take me on? Id really appreciate it.

If it matters:
    • Nationality: Irish
    • Certs: CompTIA A+, N+, Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Try Munster technology centre in Parnell street maybe? You can find them on FB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Yea I was going to call into them after Christmas but Im hoping to find something in networking & servers as thats the area Im mainly studying in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You could try Monitor out by the NCT test centre. The are mainly a security firm but seem to be doing more work in networking and systems management.

Microsemi is based more on computer chips I think, but may be an option.

Buffalo technology in Shannon would be ideal I'd imagine.

You could try BTech or Tierneys IT.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks Mr. G, I'll keep an eye on all of those places.

No problem. Let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Try Tierney's Automation out in the Quin Road Business Park. They do alot of the networking and software solutions for the hotels located across the country

http://www.tierneys.ie/

edit: woops just saw Mr.G mentioned Tierneys

Battleflag wrote: »
    Try Tierney's Automation out in the Quin Road Business Park. They do alot of the networking and software solutions for the hotels located across the country

http://www.tierneys.ie/

edit: woops just saw Mr.G mentioned Tierneys

They sound perfect. I have emailed them inquiring about it :)
    I know it early yet to be looking sense I have till march but I like being prepared :p

I think you're right to get it organised now. There is nothing wrong with being prepared. Besides, Christmas is just around the corner and leaving it until February would be a bit last minute.

Good luck with it anyway.

I got work experience in Munster technology. Thanks for the help :).

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Is this the FETAC LEVEL 6??

Fair play if it is, I did the same coarse about 10 years ago and it lead to all kinds if IT jobs and great experience

• Advertisement

No, Its a FÁS course. I believe its new and its actually quite good compared to other FÁS courses I've seen. Its not even in a FÁS training centre. Its in westpark in shannon. If you pass all 4 exams you should the 3 qualifications I mentioned above by the end of it. Starting again this march if anyone would be interested in doing it.

Computer Network Installation and Maintenance

Marked down for Ennis town but its in shannon.

killanena wrote: »
    Computer Network Installation and Maintenance

Marked down for Ennis town but its in shannon.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

OK, I gotta ask ..... but if deemed too off topic I understand if this gets deleted ......

I read that page about the course and I have a question that someone might be able to answer ....
    This course has been designed to provide industry with personnel who are skilled in installing, configuring, upgrading and maintaining computer systems and networks.

There should be good prospects for those who successfully complete the course.

But, under 'requirements' it states .....
    Learners are expected to have a basic knowledge of personal computers, familiarity with the Microsoft Windows environment, some experience of using Microsoft Office applications to include competency in the use of Microsoft Word.

I understand the requirements for familiarity with the Windows environment ....... but how are 'experience with one particular office suite and competency with one particular word processor' relevant to the aim of the course?

This puzzled me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

because the people who write these dont know any better i imagine.

I wouldn't underestimate FAS courses, I suppose the OP is the beat person to ask.

It sounds like an interesting course.

The test-ability exam you take before the course is also a load of bull but thats FÁS for you. Even our tutor gives out about them :p. FÁS don't run the course, Clane college does through FÁS. All the payments you receive and all the tutors are from the college that sponsors it. All FÁS do is come around every so often to check attendance and ask how we are finding the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Mr. G wrote: »
    I wouldn't underestimate FAS courses, I suppose the OP is the beat person to ask.

It sounds like an interesting course.

i meant the people who write them and not the courses themselves.

Advertisement