Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stealing holly (from the birds) and storing it until xmas, tips?

• 28-11-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello

I’ve cut some holly sprigs with berries for xmas. I findthey usually look somewhat withered up close come xmas, when we stick the endsin the ground, in garden, and cover with black palatine to prevent birds attack. Currently they are in a darkish shed (ends) stuckin a bucket of water.. And yes, beforesomeone points it out we are “stealing” from the birds. However I find it a more peaceful crimetowards them than shooting them out of the sky. No offences to fowlers intended, but think of it from those beautifulduck’s point of view, living by a peaceful pond, and then one day dogs comealong and “BOOM”. We are such horrid creatures aren’t we? I suppose its nature and survival of thefittest, but I think we should not be using mechanical devices, its just notfair play.
    Anyway, any tips on the holly would be appreciated.

Merci

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Don't cut the holly until closer to Christmas. I doubt there's any way of keeping it fresh for over a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Bernice101 wrote: »

Hello

I’ve cut some holly sprigs with berries for xmas. I findthey usually look somewhat withered up close come xmas, when we stick the endsin the ground, in garden, and cover with black palatine to prevent birds attack. Currently they are in a darkish shed (ends) stuckin a bucket of water.. And yes, beforesomeone points it out we are “stealing” from the birds. However I find it a more peaceful crimetowards them than shooting them out of the sky. No offences to fowlers intended, but think of it from those beautifulduck’s point of view, living by a peaceful pond, and then one day dogs comealong and “BOOM”. We are such horrid creatures aren’t we? I suppose its nature and survival of thefittest, but I think we should not be using mechanical devices, its just notfair play.
    Anyway, any tips on the holly would be appreciated.

Merci

Holly in berry is indeed beautiful and a great seasonal decoration, but there is a difference between removing holly from wild sources than from your garden. The more holly berries are removed from the wild, the more it is going to impact on birdlife. It is a very valuable food source in winter for many birds and the more it is removed the greater the threat to bird welfare. Is it the same as shooting? Well for starters killing anything for pleasure is wrong, shooting duck for the table is one thing but removing a food source from the wild for use as a decoration is well at least questionable, but I would draw a line there. If you wish to use holly, why not plant it in your garden (Ilex Nelly Stevens is a great variety to choose). At least then you are generating probably your own supply and any surplus will be enjoyed by the blackbirds etc. Alternatively you could also grow Pyracantha (choice of red or yellow berries).

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

Thank you for your replies. Yes this holly tree in in my front garden, about 10 meters from front door. It has grown out of control though, and needs a serious cutting back. Thus, on another note, can anyone advise me on when is the best time to cut back the tree. It is a mature tree, perhaps 40 years and 7/8 meters tall, but its starting to block the light into the house. I would like to cut it back 3 meters, so it would involve a bushman saw, is this ok, or would it kill the tree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a holly that is a bit inclined to take over, and while it is not very scientific :-) I saw branches off it when they get too big/annoy me! It seems totally unharmed by this process and is still going strong. The birds have already had all the berries though :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I cut wild holly about a month before christmas and leave it in a bucket of water in the shed and it holds fine. If I wait till just before christmas I find that the birds have "stolen" all the berries on me, the feckers :).
    I leave out plenty of food for the birds to make up for my theft

• Advertisement
Advertisement