Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas-time in London

Options
  • 28-11-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Or Xmas-time if you prefer!

Just looking for ideas for some good things to do and see in London at this time of year. Is there anything we shouldn't miss that maybe isn't widely known?

We always visit Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. I know it's packed and over priced but it's a chance for us to get together with friends scattered all over the country, have some laughs, drink some beer and eat some food. Being a roller coaster enthusiast it's also a chance to go on some rides! :D

I know there's also many ice rinks that appear in the capital, but I must admit I'm not the best skater so don't usually visit them.

But what else is there? Any seasonal markets, shows, carol singing etc. that we should all visit? Decembeers is obviously a given. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I haven't been before and don't think time will allow this year either, but Christmas at Kew gardens sounds good http://www.kew.org/visit-kew-gardens/whats-on/christmas/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Am I the only one who thinks Winter Wonderland is a crowded load of complete b*llocks? Overpriced gammy sausages, beers for £5.50 and people banging buggies off your legs all day long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

FTA69 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Winter Wonderland is a crowded load of complete b*llocks? Overpriced gammy sausages, beers for £5.50 and people banging buggies off your legs all day long.

I think it's totally dope. Yes it can get overcrowded but you don't give a sh*t when you have a few litres down ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I haven't been before and don't think time will allow this year either, but Christmas at Kew gardens sounds good http://www.kew.org/visit-kew-gardens/whats-on/christmas/

That could be interesting alright, might give it a look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

FTA69 wrote: »

Everything you say is true, however you can have a really good day there if you plan it properly. A group of around 10 of us meet up at it every year. Most come from outside of London so make a day of it. We usually go early, around midday, and have a go on some of the (admittedly overpriced) rides. The whole place is less crowded at that time so you don't have to queue for anything, and you often get a longer ride sequence on some of the rides as it's not that busy so better bang for your buck. Then we go for a few pints in the Carousel Bar as again it's not that busy. We have a quick browse of the market stalls and then grab a quick lunch, usually outside of the park as it's cheaper, and the non-London folk do a bit of sightseeing.

We then get back in around 4 o'clock before the crowds really hit and get a good table in the Bavarian Beer Village where we drink, drink, eat and drink some more. Last year we were upstairs seated by the door and it was freezing. Every time someone came in we'd jokingly shout at them if they didn't close the door after them. Pretty soon it became a chant and if someone copped it and closed the door they got a cheer. Eventually the whole upstairs bar got in on the act and the atmosphere was fantastic! :D

The last step is to leave early before the crowds all try to exit en masse!

Yes it's overpriced, but if you know that going in and accept it, and if you're there with good friends, it can be a great day out.

Back on topic I've also heard great things about Kew Gardens, but again I don't think I'll make it there this year.

Does anyone know of any good carol singing? We ended up going to one in St. Pauls last year but it turned out to be really old Protestant chants which were not that musical I must say. Would love to go to somewhere with a live Choir and Orchestra playing Christmas Songs, stuff like Winter Wonderland, Silent Night etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The Christmas market on the South Bank is nice on a fine evening

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whatson/southbank-centre-christmas-market-1000456

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's not really a day out, but you'll almost certainly feel better if you do it: send this chap a Christmas card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There are some well established new young Irish emigrants involved in helping charities in London that support the men and women of the 30s and 60s but there are many who do not. I have one daughter working in the U.K. health sector and she always makes a fuss of older Irish patients that she encounters, even bringing them in copies of the Farmers Journal if they are from farming background like herself or a copy of the provincial paper. She realises how lucky she is to have a third level qualification and a good salary. If she can bring a bit of cheer to a fellow Irish person it makes her day.
    There are a lot of older Irish in Kentish Town, Camden, Kilburn etc. Any support that can be given to them is much appreciated. Check out the Irish Post, Irish Clubs etc. for details of support groups.

Advertisement