Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Switching to Eircom from Sky ... bad idea??

• 28-11-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am in DSL only land ....

After a shaky start .... I am happy with the service from Sky.
    Enchange is maxed @ 12mb - I get a steady 6mb at my end at all times.

Only issue is cost - I was a 12 month trial price ... my bill is going to jump to €50 a month - Eircom is €35 for 6 month - then €50 (will review again after 12 months).

From looking at Eircom forums - it seems that Eircom customers are having big issues with speeds at peak times. I would rather have a decent steady speed than choppy speeds.

Eircom have no plans for fibre in my area so either it's DSL for the forseeable future.

Any Eircom customers in DSL only land having issues?
    Am I better off to stay with what I have?

Cheers!
    Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Better the devil you know, be very careful when signing anything with eircom!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am in DSL only land ....

After a shaky start .... I am happy with the service from Sky.
    Enchange is maxed @ 12mb - I get a steady 6mb at my end at all times.

Only issue is cost - I was a 12 month trial price ... my bill is going to jump to €50 a month - Eircom is €35 for 6 month - then €50 (will review again after 12 months).

From looking at Eircom forums - it seems that Eircom customers are having big issues with speeds at peak times. I would rather have a decent steady speed than choppy speeds.

Eircom have no plans for fibre in my area so either it's DSL for the forseeable future.

Any Eircom customers in DSL only land having issues?
    Am I better off to stay with what I have?

Cheers!
    Keith.

The likes of Vodafone and Digiweb do broadband DSL only for as low as €37 a month with no prices increases or silly promotions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

crawler wrote: »
    The likes of Vodafone and Digiweb do broadband DSL only for as low as €37 a month with no prices increases or silly promotions....

Digiweb have the gimmicks too, download caps, capped at 8mb etc.
    Their DSL Package is:
    24MB
    150gb limit
    Free Landline
    €71

Vodafone have muddled their plans too:
    €40 gives you unlimited bb, but they don't include free landline calls with that .... they give you 100 minutes?!
    Also they look to charge you for a modem/installation if you don't sign a 24 month contract

Believe it or not - Eircom is probably the best value for DSL at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Give Sky a one-month notice that you're leaving in case they try to charge you. Tell them you're leaving for Eircom because it's cheaper, Sky might try to negotiate a deal for you to stay with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Give Sky a one-month notice that you're leaving in case they try to charge you. Tell them you're leaving for Eircom because it's cheaper, Sky might try to negotiate a deal for you to stay with them.

Tried them already - they brought my tv down from €50 to 32 for 6 months (independent of having Broadband) but wouldn't budge on my 57.50 I can drop the 7.50 add-on I have but that's it

• Advertisement
Advertisement