Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Videogames Changed The World - 30th November at 9:00pm on Channel 4

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Twitter......Really :/
    Makes perfect sense and it's a great way to end the show. Everyone expects some popular game and he points out that it's essentially life that's the game because we've allowed it to be.

Really enjoyed that. Although, barring Pong and The Last Of Us, it was a list of games that I've played through my life, which is no bad thing despite reminding me that I'm getting on in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Important to remember it wasn't a "Top 25", but a list of the 25 most influential.

Very last one was a strange choice and I thought it was a load of sheet at first, but when he started talking about he made some good points. I've found myself doing everything they said on Twitter.

Honestly thought Little Big Planet would have made an appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Twitter......Really :/

That was my reaction too. Enjoyed the show up until that point where they just went up their own arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I know i understand the points but if you're gonna pick twitter , why not pick facebook or any of the other social medias out there ? why not just say social media in general would have been a much better answer, I thought thats what he was going to say when he mentioned PS4 and Xbox1 putting a focus on social media

I know i understand the points but if you're gonna pick twitter , why not pick facebook or any of the other social medias out there ? why not just say social media in general would have been a much better answer, I thought thats what he was going to say when he mentioned PS4 and Xbox1 putting a focus on social media

Facebook has likes, friends and shares.

Twitter has followers, tweets, retweets, quotes, mentions, favourites etc.

You can't say "social media" in general, just like you can't say "FPS games" in general.

Doom being to FPS games what Twitter is being to social media. If you had to pick one.

• Advertisement

8iSHxs.jpg

Yeah, but Twitter is the most game like of the social media. Also, remember that if the show just ended with another game, it'd have little reaction. It's better to make a statement. Which, ironically is kind of gamificating the process of TV show design (I'm going to assume gamificating is a word).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

as it progressed it became more and more up their own arse only interested in social commentary and media impact than actual games

dara o briain and graham linehan did well though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Really enjoyed that.

It wasn't a Top 25 list but most of the choices made sense, it wasn't going to be able to include all games of significant impact on the industry. Was nice to see Papers Please get a bit of a look in :pac:

Twitter made some sense when he elaborated on it though I imagine it would've worked better if the No. 1 was a collection of all popular social media and it's culture like Facebook since many people play(ed) games through it with Candy Crush and Farmville. But in terms of people using Twitter, he did have a point.

Brooker had stated before how this show had to open enough to allow the average person / casual gamer to understand the gaming industry and it's cultural impact throughout the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Balls missed it , thankfully we have Ch4 +1 .... or for those that want to watch it again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Actually watching Indie Game the movie i have a strong urge to.... if i ever meet him this is, to walk up to the super meat boy guy and kick him square in the balls and say "thats for super meat boy"

calex71 wrote: »
    Actually watching Indie Game the movie i have a strong urge to.... if i ever meet him this is, to walk up to the super meat boy guy and kick him square in the balls and say "thats for super meat boy"
    No, you say "that's for everyone who played it!" then kick him in the nuts again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Enjoyable enough even if it did trail off towards the end, was shocked Nintendo wasn`t brought up more bar the obligatory Mario & Wii mentions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Bambi wrote: »
    as it progressed it became more and more up their own arse only interested in social commentary and media impact than actual games

I haven't watched it yet but, it is called "How Videogames Changed The World". The scope should be wider than a Let's Play video. What did they do wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Except that that was the whole point of the show. It charted how games went from bedroom designers through media scares and on to establishing itself as a feature of mainstream culture. It wasn't a 'history of gaming in 25 objects'

And incidentally, that's why ending with social media makes sense. I don't entirely agree with Brooker on 'Twitter as a game' but it is a valid argument and nicely captured the way game design concepts have been bleeding over into other fields. It's a demonstration that the influence of games has never been higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Reekwind wrote: »
    Except that that was the whole point of the show. It charted how games went from bedroom designers through media scares and on to establishing itself as a feature of mainstream culture. It wasn't a 'history of gaming in 25 objects'

Because they, like you, mistake media impact for actual change :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I thought it was good really delighted the Spectrum 48k was there and showed the classic Manic Miner and all contributors actually were gamers themselves. Just wish Charlie had maybe a monthly show reviewing games. I'd watch that.

Fnz wrote: »
    I haven't watched it yet but, it is called "How Videogames Changed The World". The scope should be wider than a Let's Play video. What did they do wrong?

A lot of it was based more on a British perspective tbh

calex71 wrote: »

They came out of it looking the best(Edmund in particular) I felt Blow did it to get his own point across & try show he isn`t a smug twat. Fish was getting more & more annoyed/annoying as it went on(couldn`t help but blame him for the demo breaking down as he said he made too many late changes, if you have a stable product dob`t go fiddling with it at the last minute).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Enjoyable enough show. I'd love to see him doing a proper 25 games of all time, not just the most influential and no mention of social media. I know he has a point there but still......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭KilOit

Agricola wrote: »
    Enjoyable enough show. I'd love to see him doing a proper 25 games of all time, not just the most influential and no mention of social media. I know he has a point there but still......

Imo that top 10/20/100 has been done to death for years on all websites etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

KilOit wrote: »
    Imo that top 10/20/100 has been done to death for years on all websites etc

Last nights show was firmly aimed at getting non gamers on board. Twitter isnt a videogame is it? It has gamey systems but it didnt go on sale in Gamestop for 60euro, or it isnt an indie game like Limbo or Journey. A proper top x list from the makers of this programme would be more interesting to gamers is all im saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,170 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But how many non gamers would sit and watch a 2 hour program like that on a Saturday night?

I liked it for what it was. First time I've seen Aoife since her days on Ginx tv and good to see they got celebrity gamers that not only included Jonathan Ross(who was sure to mention Jane's successful screewriting career. :)) and Dara O'Briain, but also Felicia Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Because they, like you, mistake media impact for actual change :)
    Examples of how games have changed the world and generated no media impact?

Advertisement