Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby injured in an accident? Don't go to hospital get an emergency baptism instead

Comments

Church authorities were quick to distance themselves
    I would say so
    at least they are not encouraging it themselves

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Russia?
    Actually surprised by that, figured it would be America/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Cabaal wrote: »
    and are the authoritys taking the kid away from the parents?
    This is a form of neglect

The child died. I agree the church is trying to distance itself from this but its religious fervour like this that makes me mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"This is superstition, not religion", said an Orthodox spokesperson without a trace of f*cking irony.

Sarky wrote: »
    "This is superstition, not religion", said an Orthodox spokesperson without a trace of f*cking irony.

Yup

This is what tells me it's religion
    because otherwise he would be denied the Kingdom of heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I thought either this Pope or the last said that all unbaptised children went to heaven???

They're not roman catholic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I thought either this Pope or the last said that all unbaptised children went to heaven???

Maybe the church is orthodox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

bluewolf wrote: »
    lazygal wrote: »

Did the Pope say anything about children who are technically baptised but not into RCC Christian denominations getting into this kingdom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Ah right.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Did the Pope say anything about children who are technically baptised by into not RCC Christian denominations getting into this kingdom?

It's in the small print somewhere. Yunno, like, Jesus.

It's in the small print somewhere. Yunno, like, Jesus.

Like how Jesus became a Catholic after he died?

Like how Jesus became a Catholic after he died?

Exactly. The Jewish zombie became a catholic. No holes in the story at all.

I just saw an old man walk down Grand Parade wearing a bin-liner on which he had written "THE JEWS WON THE WAR".

Not exactly relevant, but I had to mention it somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I just saw an old man walk down Grand Parade wearing a bin-liner on which he had written "THE JEWS WON THE WAR".

Fuming_Mad4obDetail.png

Am surprised we haven't had "one of them" in here yet telling us why it was "Gods" will that the baby should die.

Aww Feck - someone must have left the gate open again. Will send someone to get him...... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

On a slightly related note, there's these pro-chastity loons on campus here in NUIM today.

I thought they were on the wrong side of campus TBH, they were on the north side, while the seminary's on the south side! :pac:

Well child-rape obviously doesn't count when it comes to chastity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

They were there on behalf of "Pure In Heart", they were giving away little books titled "The Case Against Condoms" (among others). :rolleyes:

Sorry for dragging the thread off-topic. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Church authorities were quick to distance themselves
    I would say so
    at least they are not encouraging it themselves

Not directly maybe. But IF a given church is teaching that unbaptized children risk hell then parents who believe that will strongly feel compelled to react to a possibly fatal injury by going for a baptism before trying to get medical treatment.

It seems crazy to us but GIVEN what the parents believed then what they did was the right thing to do! And if that church IS teaching this as fact (I do not know which church it is or what their teachings is) then they can distance themselves from it all they like but the fact is they are directly responsible for this tragedy.

Alas I read too many stories of children dying, often of very easily treatable conditions or cases, solely because what ever religion the parents happened to be was one that caused them to postpone or even refuse simple medical treatment.

Some time ago a beautiful young girl died because her religious parents thought the treatment for mild diabetes was an affront to god. Only this month we hear a story of a child who not just died, but died after over a week of agony and suffering, because the foster/adoptive parents chose prayer over medicine. The child could have been cured quickly and easily by a simple course of penicillin as it happens.

Religion has some awful affects on people and society but the one that brings me most often to, and over, the brink of tears is the ways in which it can warp the purest love we have as a species.... that of a parent for a child.... into such horror.

The most pernicious, hideous, egregiously horrifying aspect of it all is these parents likely watched their child die.... loving them dearly all the while.... thinking they were doing right by their kid. While people who read such stories instead picture hateful evil malignant and neglecting parents who do not really care for the child. Would that it were so because the fact such horror could be visited in the name of love makes it, for me, all the worse.

And all because of what these people believed about the nature of the universe and its creator. Or more specifically were spoon fed by clergy to believe. A clergy who then wipe their hands of it all, distance themselves from it, and declare "not our fault". Horrible.
    Exactly. The Jewish zombie became a catholic. No holes in the story at all.

There was at least two holes. One in each hand. Or so I hear :)

Sorry poor attempt to lighten my above text with humor.

They were there on behalf of "Pure In Heart", they were giving away little books titled "The Case Against Condoms" (among others). :rolleyes:

Sorry for dragging the thread off-topic. :o

Why do I never meet these people? I would have SO much fun taking the piss and recording their reactions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Some time ago a beautiful young girl died because her religious parents thought the treatment for mild diabetes was an affront to god.

Whilst on the subject of things that don't exist, that is another one. There is no such thing as mild diabetes. But it is perfectly possible to live with once you take the appropriate drugs.

<grabs insulin and coat>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Never understood the big deal about that. In RCC you don't have to be a priest to baptize, the right woo words are in the catechism.

robinph wrote: »
    Whilst on the subject of things that don't exist, that is another one. There is no such thing as mild diabetes. But it is perfectly possible to live with once you take the appropriate drugs.

<grabs insulin and coat>

I love this forum for its pedantry :)

I meant RELATIVELY mild, as in it was low on the continuum of the different forms of diabetes that are out there.

Clearly since it was FATAL in the case of the girl I mention, it was hardly "mild" in any non-relative sense of the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robinph wrote: »

<grabs insulin and coat>

Well there's insulin dependent diabetes and there's diabetes that can be managed mainly with diet. While neither are 'mild' one could be said to be milder than the other.

kylith wrote: »
    Well there's insulin dependent diabetes and there's diabetes that can be managed mainly with diet. While neither are 'mild' one could be said to be milder than the other.

Which is milder?

I 'managed' mine by diet for 10 years then wham after an operation it went from not even registering as an issue to very very nearly ending up in an ICU - and it took 3 more years to 'stablise' to a get up 3 hours earlier then before so the side effects of the meds pass and I am fit to drive/speak/think...

I am at least 3rd generation Type II and my used to be 'mild' controlled by diet diabetes is mutating into Type I slowly but surely so some days I produce insulin and others I don't - so some days the meds work and other days they don't...Endocrinologist reckons it is 'interesting' but I don't think he would say it was 'mild'. ;)

Which is milder?

I 'managed' mine by diet for 10 years then wham after an operation it went from not even registering as an issue to very very nearly ending up in an ICU - and it took 3 more years to 'stablise' to a get up 3 hours earlier then before so the side effects of the meds pass and I am fit to drive/speak/think...

I am at least 3rd generation Type II and my used to be 'mild' controlled by diet diabetes is mutating into Type I slowly but surely so some days I produce insulin and others I don't - so some days the meds work and other days they don't...Endocrinologist reckons it is 'interesting' but I don't think he would say it was 'mild'. ;)

I'd put the non insulin dependent type as milder, or less severe, than the dependent type. While it can worsen, like yours, a lot of people manage it for years with no problems, whereas without drugs my brother would be dead in a couple of days regardless of how carefully he ate.

To clarify; I don't think diabetes of any kind is a trivial or 'mild' condition. It's a serious thing which should always be controlled with the input of a doctor.

I'm half expecting to develop it myself. My family enjoys Type I, Type II, and Gestational diabetes.

Mild medically and mild colloquially mean almost entirely different things.

• Advertisement

It is amazing the tangents threads on this forum can go off on sometimes. :) A mere side anecdote used to beef up my main point has launched an entire off topic discussion about diabetes.

And given diabetes is linked to sweet foods... and given this is the A&A forum.... it is almost pre-destined in a divine kind of way that the conversation on this thread, like so many before it, will inevitably turn to biscuits. Sweet, sugary, biscuits.

Endocrinologist reckons it is 'interesting' but I don't think he would say it was 'mild'. ;)

I've only had to deal with hypothyroidism after half my thyroid decided to go nuts and inflate to about the size of an orange before I got rid of it. It was an obscure enough problem that had me spending 12 hours or more waiting around the hospital while nearly as many doctors poked around my throat and went "... huh. That's interesting. Hey, John, c'mere and have a look at this..."

In my meagre experience, it's never a good sign when the doc reckons you're an "interesting" case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You could potentially call type 2 diabetes "mild" in that it may be controlled just by diet and exercise. Generally a young girl would be type 1 and insulin dependant whereas type 2 would often not be diagnosed until later in life. But then type 1 may then live a long a healthy life if properly controlled, but someone with type 2 might not get diagnosed until very late on and by then the multitude of additional complications could have taken hold and make for a very un-"mild" set of medical issues.

*I was going to put loads of *'s through that paragraph then stating "exceptions apply", but it would have looked silly with a * next to every other word. :)
    It is amazing the tangents threads on this forum can go off on sometimes. :) A mere side anecdote used to beef up my main point has launched an entire off topic discussion about diabetes.

And given diabetes is linked to sweet foods... and given this is the A&A forum.... it is almost pre-destined in a divine kind of way that the conversation on this thread, like so many before it, will inevitably turn to biscuits. Sweet, sugary, biscuits.
    I like cake.

In my meagre experience, it's never a good sign when the doc reckons you're an "interesting" case.

I currently have a blood blister that won't heal. My GP is referring me to someone who, I quote, "Likes weird stuff like that." Apparently he'll "burn it off, or freeze it off, or cut it off, or something".

I hate it when doctors get all vague.

I currently have a blood blister that won't heal. My GP is referring me to someone who, I quote, "Likes weird stuff like that." Apparently he'll "burn it off, or freeze it off, or cut it off, or something".

I have not visited a doctor in over 12 years, you are not instilling great confidence in me to visit one any time soon :eek:

bumper234 wrote: »
    I have not visited a doctor in over 12 years, you are not instilling great confidence in me to visit one any time soon :eek:

Everybody should really visit a doctor for a check-up at least once a year.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    Everybody should really visit a doctor for a check-up at least once a year.

Yeah these chest pains are starting to get annoying.

That's... dangerously irrational. Why would you expect a GP to know everything there is to know about every ailment ever?

That's... dangerously irrational. Why would you expect a GP to know everything there is to know about every ailment ever?

Erm.... I wouldn't expect them to know anything of the sort. What makes you think I would expect them to?

Ah, I like my doctor. They're very nice and thorough. I'd definitely encourage anyone to find a doctor they like and get a check up.

Ah, I like my doctor. They're very nice and thorough. I'd definitely encourage anyone to find a doctor they like and get a check up.

Had a doctor years ago but then I moved across city and tbh have never been sick enough that i have felt I needed to go to one. Silly of me I know but it's only when I thought about it today that I realised it's been so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

How long have you had it? I had one for about 3 weeks and it sorted itself out eventually. If you've had it for a very long time, they should be able to lance it and drain the blood.

How long have you had it? I had one for about 3 weeks and it sorted itself out eventually. If you've had it for a very long time, they should be able to lance it and drain the blood.

About 6 months.

Spoilered for possible grossness
    It started as a normal blood blister, but when that worked its way out another one formed and because the skin had healed over it got sore as that grew its way out, and now I'm on my fourth cycle of this and it's getting rather annoying, sore, and I can't grip anything properly because of where it is on my palm.

About 6 months.

Spoilered for possible grossness
    It started as a normal blood blister, but when that worked its way out another one formed and because the skin had healed over it got sore as that grew its way out, and now I'm on my fourth cycle of this and it's getting rather annoying, sore, and I can't grip anything properly because of where it is on my palm.

Ouch! I'd seek out a dermatologist, GPs generally aren't good at unusual conditions.

My GP is referring me to someone who, I quote, "Likes weird stuff like that." .
    Ouch! I'd seek out a dermatologist, GPs generally aren't good at unusual conditions.

I'd wager the GP is sending her to whoever s/he deems the most appropriate. :)

Jernal wrote: »
    I'd wager the GP is sending her to whoever s/he deems the most appropriate. :)

In my own experience, some GPs can be quite blinkered when it comes to specialist conditions. My mother had a pain in her back, the GP offered her painkillers and eventually a surgery option. Then her friend told her about physiotherapy, which has helped her immensely. My Dad had problems walking any distance and was told by 2 GPs that he was just getting old, went to a third who sent him for tests and had a quadruple heart bypass less than a month later. When my mother went and told her GP she was feeling depressed she was told to essentially 'suck it up'.

I don't think it's the GP's fault (they can't know everything), and they're still my first port of call when I'm unwell, but if there's something wrong, you should pursue other avenues as well if a GP can't or won't help.

In my own experience, some GPs can be quite blinkered when it comes to specialist conditions. My mother had a pain in her back, the GP offered her painkillers and eventually a surgery option. Then her friend told her about physiotherapy, which has helped her immensely. My Dad had problems walking any distance and was told by 2 GPs that he was just getting old, went to a third who sent him for tests and had a quadruple heart bypass less than a month later. When my mother went and told her GP she was feeling depressed she was told to essentially 'suck it up'.

I don't think it's the GP's fault (they can't know everything), and they're still my first port of call when I'm unwell, but if there's something wrong, you should pursue other avenues as well if a GP can't or won't help.

I don't disagree with any of that but Kylith said her GP was referring her on to someone. That's the next logical step, depending on how that goes its the referral she should probably ask for where to go for second opinions. Doctors are just like any other professional. Some mechanics are great for examining and fixing your car. Others are shtye.

Advertisement