Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horizon WifiSpots

• 28-11-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Edit: Oops, wrong forum. Can one of the mods please move it to the UPC forum?

Hi all,

I've just noticed another SSID that I'm picking up, and it's called "Horizon WifiSpots". I've never seen it before.

Is this something that is enabled on my router? If so, can it be disabled?

I understand that it could be my neighbours SSID, but I'm just checking.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Switch off your Horizon box and scan for networks, I expect you'll find it's your neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Labraska

I have the exact same problem and its definitely coming from my Horizon router, it is broadcasting over the same channel and its MAC address is the next MAC address up from my own network. I have just noticed the ability to even see the options for the 5Ghz radio setting have been removed. So UPC are testing something, but it is causing major interruptions with my internet connectivity.

Anyone else having the same issues??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

This is enabled by mistake by a UPC SW rollout last night ..

I couldn't connect to my box this morning and I noticed that my SSID name had been changed to a UPC <9 digit number > + another SSID wifispots enabled ..

This is for a new feature whereby UPC customers will be able to use any other UPC wifi networks for free, the same way as BT Open zone works in UK ..

Obviously it shouldn't have been turned on yet ..

I had to manually change my SSID back to it's original name and password in order to be able to connect ..

Not really a well managed SW download by UPC ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

This is a new feature coming soon. Essentially you can roam on any Horizon spot as a customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Go to this
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057093635

I had this problem and had to a factory reset of horizon and also do a factory reset of Router

• Advertisement

I had this problem again this morning ..

Box with 2 red lights on, No internet connection and no Phone.
    Box didn't have a WAN IP address

Came back after a few resets, but did notice the "Horizon wifispots" SSID appearing after each reset ..
    I noticed that a new version of SW was updated last night, so must have had an impact
    Currently on 1b-263.011.0n_V 1.28_16777500

bob11 wrote: »
    I had this problem again this morning ..

Box with 2 red lights on, No internet connection and no Phone.
    Box didn't have a WAN IP address

Came back after a few resets, but did notice the "Horizon wifispots" SSID appearing after each reset ..
    I noticed that a new version of SW was updated last night, so must have had an impact
    Currently on 1b-263.011.0n_V 1.28_16777500

Any Problem with Internet
    Login into router of Horizon using http://192.168.192.1/
    User is admin
    Password is admin (unless you already changed it)

Go to System
    Factory Default
    Follow instructions it gives

Note when finished your SSID and Password will be back to Default settings
    You can change your SSID and Password and any other wireless settings you need to change

Wireless will now connect ok

Note Wireless Radio 5Ghz setting listing is fully gone from router login (It was disabled before anyway)
    Wireless Advanced is now Ireland settings

Note you should also enable in advanced
    Multicast (if you use Apple’s Bonjour Protocol)
    UPNP

Wireless Radio best to set to 20 Mhz only
    Also use Wireless channel 1 or 6 or 11 only
    11 is best

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Joemagic

I have WifiSpots phenomenon also! My devices are connecting to my self defined SSID (JOxxxx) and working properly. However Android App 'WiFi analyser' shows both JOxxxx and WiFiSpots on the same channel. If I change the channel for JOxxxx, WifiSpots moves to the new channel also. As WiFi Analyser sees two WLANS on the same channel, it assumes a neighbour's channel is causing interference and it suggests moving to a different channel.

My question is - does the fact that there seems to be two WLANs, albeit from the same Horizon box, broadcasting on the same channel impact on the performance of my wireless connection?

Second question - a previous poster (Bob11) says this is for a new feature whereby UPC customers will be able to use any other UPC wifi networks for free. Is this for real - anyone in range of my wireless being able to help themselves to my bandwidth for free?? But I suppose it's academic as the wireless range on the horizon box is so crap anyway!

Best set wireless
    Channel Bandwith

To 20mhz only

Don't use 20/40
    Channel bonding

Channel Bandwith 20/40
    It will use extended channel
    Example you set to wireless to Channel 11
    Extended channel is on 7
    Wireless range is extended and when needed both channels are bonded but with 2.4Ghz this also increases chance for interference

Recent wireless tests and reports say with 2.4ghz
    Using 20/40 reduces performance
    Best setting for 2.4Ghz is 20Mhz only

Horizon Wireless Best settings
    Use channel 1 or 6 or 11
    Best results in most cases is channel 11

Channel Width 20Mhz only

Note 5Ghz is only wireless that uses correctly
    40Mhz

Horizon does not have or use 5Ghz Wireless

Note with wireless channel Bandwith set to 20/40
    If using wireless N only max Bandwith is 300Mbs

Set to 20 only will give you max 130-144Mbs
    Depending on your wireless adaptor
    This is fine for most uses

It's best that all wireless devices are N only
    As if using a device that's wireless G all other connected devices will reduce to G speed which has 54Mbs max in theory with real speeds of around 30-45 max

Joemagic wrote: »
    I have WifiSpots phenomenon also! My devices are connecting to my self defined SSID (JOxxxx) and working properly. However Android App 'WiFi analyser' shows both JOxxxx and WiFiSpots on the same channel. If I change the channel for JOxxxx, WifiSpots moves to the new channel also. As WiFi Analyser sees two WLANS on the same channel, it assumes a neighbour's channel is causing interference and it suggests moving to a different channel.

My question is - does the fact that there seems to be two WLANs, albeit from the same Horizon box, broadcasting on the same channel impact on the performance of my wireless connection?

Second question - a previous poster (Bob11) says this is for a new feature whereby UPC customers will be able to use any other UPC wifi networks for free. Is this for real - anyone in range of my wireless being able to help themselves to my bandwidth for free?? But I suppose it's academic as the wireless range on the horizon box is so crap anyway!

UPC have already started rolling out "wifispots" out in Netherlands, so it's on the way ..

You can opt out if you do not want to share, but then you will not have access to any other wifispots:

Your modem on or off as Wifi Spot
    The more modems and Wifi Spot works, the better the network is functioning. Do you have a UPC Wifi modem, we also use it to make this service. Possible Would you feel uncomfortable, log off then on my UPC . In that case, only you can also not use Wifi Spots of UPC.

http://www.upc.nl/klantenservice/internet/wifi-spots/
    (open in google chrome and auto-translate)

Wifi Spots
    Even free wifi on over 500,000 locations

At home you get all out of your smartphone, tablet or laptop thanks to the Digital Network of UPC. Would not you like to experience the online experience more places You can with Wifi Spots of UPC. An additional service as UPC Internet subscriber for you. As soon as you get friends and family with wireless Internet UPC, you are online. Also there you have internet if you are at home. Without 3G / 4G or other expenses from your smartphone or tablet.

Soon more than 500,000 WiFi Spots in Netherlands
    In each house with UPC wifi modem internet yourself at home
    Wirelessly via WiFi: less 3G / 4G necessary
    Free for anyone with Internet UPC
    Secure by separate connections

Some pictures from a UPC WifiSpots Brochure, Interesting that roaming between UPCs networks will also work .
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/carnager/9784600113/in/photostream/

upc swiss upc.ch are also launching :

http://www.cablemodem.ch/news/news.html

cablecom plans Wi-Fi Sharing

10/10/2013
    Soon internet customers the cablecom can surf for free at the terminals of other customers on the web , even abroad .
    Such information comes from a flyer the UPC from Holland.
    Under the name " WiFiSpots " Customers should ask the upc their own Internet connection for more visitors and then it may also mobile in other WLAN Hotspots can surf the upc . Similar concepts you already know from the wireless network FON . However, the Wi-Fi access is not free but requires registration via myUPC - only users with a matching account can surf.
    Technically, " WiFiSpots " through a wireless router (possibly the Horizon box ) can be realized . This device works like a normal wireless router, but building two separate wireless networks : the private -Fi for the normal functioning and a public Wi-Fi can be used by all upc Customers with appropriate Internet subscription .
    The introduction of " WiFiSpots by UPC " is expected in the next few months in Ireland, Poland, Austria and Switzerland. Later, should , by
    Cooperation with other telecommunications companies , additional hotspots, upc customers free to surf the internet , join them .

• Advertisement

Hi Paul,

I have changed Wifi settings as you recommended. However WiFi analyser App still shows two networks on Channel 1, my own and WifiSpots. If I select a different channel, both move to that one. Is this OK?

By the way, I received an invitation from UPC a couple of days ago to complete a survey about Wifi. It said;
    At UPC, we are continuously working to improve your Horizon service and understand that some customers have issues with Wi-Fi in their homes.
    To help to resolve this, we’ve developed new modem software that may improve your broadband experience. On 28th November we remotely loaded new software onto your Horizon TV HD+ box.

The date given seems to be about the same time that I first noticed the WiFiSpots appear

Bob11 - thanks for clarification re UPC plans.

Joe

Hi Paul,

Just noticed that the WiFiSpots SSID has now vanished. It seems to have taken 15-20 mins for the change you recommended to come into effect.

Thanks
    Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have the Horizon Wifispot's SSID broadcasting now, I also not my internet has been cack for a week or so, but i was too busy with xmas to sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Further investigation shows my location has been set to the Netherlands.......in the box admin panel

Advertisement