Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Php XAMMP

Options
  • 28-11-2013 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how to make my pages update from my template. I have it all working in a folder on my Desktop but when I copied the folder to the htdocs folders it would'nt update the rest of the pages when changes were made.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 samc36

Are you going to localhost in your browser?

It should refresh. Not being smart with you, but XXAMP is rubbish on some computers. I use Wampserver. Its much simpler, and a joy to use. Looks better too. I use Wampserver 2.2 and I've never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Have you cleared the browser cache?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Make sure to navigate to http://localhost/folder_name. I'm assuming your main page is named index.php? If not then the server won't detect your main page. You could also have an index.html/htm page however PHP code will not be processed unless it is inside a .php file

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

but XXAMP is rubbish on some computers.

PLEASE, PLEASE STOP,

XAMP has huge security issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

mad turnip wrote: »
    PLEASE, PLEASE STOP,

Can you give any more info on that? I've started googling issues so I know what to fix and look out for but are you talking about something in particular?
    Or what would you recommend using instead?

• Advertisement

Nugget89 wrote: »
    Can you give any more info on that? I've started googling issues so I know what to fix and look out for but are you talking about something in particular?

I've attempted that myself in the past, the bottom line is just to not bother, with a default setup there are vulnerabilities there that allow people to access any files on your disk. This is just using apache and mysql.

There are plently of alternatives, just go download apache and php seperate (yes I know there a bitch to configure) but even attempting to fix XAMP is a terrible idea.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST DO NOT USE IT.

It deserves a special place in hell with internet explorer.

I've attempted that myself in the past, the bottom line is just to not bother, with a default setup there are vulnerabilities there that allow people to access any files on your disk. This is just using apache and mysql.

There are plently of alternatives, just go download apache and php seperate (yes I know there a bitch to configure) but even attempting to fix XAMP is a terrible idea.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST DO NOT USE IT.

It deserves a special place in hell with internet explorer.

Jesus, and I thought it was alright. Looks like I have a busy few days ahead of me. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,623 ✭✭✭✭28064212

PLEASE, PLEASE STOP,

You're correct that it should never be used on an open network, but it's perfectly fine as a development server. Hell, the producers themselves say that it should never be used on a production machine

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Not being smart, are you sure you're editing the files you moved into Xampp, and not the ones in your desktop folder?

If that sounds patronising, it's not, I've made similar mistakes on several occasions.

For what it's worth, I used to use Xampp, and gave it up and use Uniform Server now, which is easy to use, and not a million miles away in terms of user flow, and it's GUI has waaaaaaaaaaaay more options.

28064212 wrote: »
    You're correct that it should never be used on an open network, but it's perfectly fine as a development server. Hell, the producers themselves say that it should never be used on a production machine

So in my case of just using it on my home network it is fine? I should just shut it down if I am on an open network?

• Advertisement

I would say just stop now and be done with it.

Advertisement