Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

difference between bibliography and reference list

Options
  • 28-11-2013 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

The tutor on my college course has said that my bibliography should only include books or articles I've quoted in the essay.
    My understanding is that a bibliography is the background reading I have done to inform me in writing the essay, not necessarily quoted in the essay.
    A reference list includes all my cited & quoted books & articles.
    I think she's getting the two mixed up.
    All help appreciated as I'm hoping to (bravely) point out same to her next week:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

The tutor on my college course has said that my bibliography should only include books or articles I've quoted in the essay.
    My understanding is that a bibliography is the background reading I have done to inform me in writing the essay, not necessarily quoted in the essay.
    A reference list includes all my cited & quoted books & articles.
    I think she's getting the two mixed up.
    All help appreciated as I'm hoping to (bravely) point out same to her next week:eek:

You're right and she's confused the two...
    Bibliography is ALL background reading
    Reference list is all the works you've cited: including works you've paraphrased and quoted directly and works you've taken ideas from

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭lindascribbler

beauty101 wrote: »
    You're right and she's confused the two...
    Bibliography is ALL background reading
    Reference list is all the works you've cited: including works you've paraphrased and quoted directly and works you've taken ideas from

thanks for that

Advertisement