Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupidity (achievement unlocked)

• 28-11-2013 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

I do not get the obsession with achievements or trophies and think they are a pointless fairytale make believe achievement that serves nothing and was just implemented for just adding some replay value to a game.

But its now gotten out of hand as people are paying money on ebay for a code to get the day one achievement for the xbox one :eek:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/11/xbox-one-day-one-achievements-can-now-be-bought-on-ebay/

in the words of Angry videogame nerd

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

people are paying money on ebay for a code to get the day one achievement for the xbox one

are they? or are people just listing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

That is nuts, wish I had sold mine now :pac:

Achievement hunting can be fun. I like to go after ones based on game difficulty more than anything, f*ck the "Collect all 497 feathers" type crap though.

I got achievements for watching Netflix the other day, what is that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I have no time for achievements or trophy's in game myself. But i think the constant need to search every bloody drawer, desk and corpse is ruining modern gaming.

Bioshock games for instance, great game. but you have to constantly search everything just so you have enough ammo to proceed. It completely ruins the flow of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don' the steam trading cards either.... everytime I play a game I get a few. Apparently I can sell them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don' the steam trading cards either.... everytime I play a game I get a few. Apparently I can sell them?

You can sell them on the market, generally a card goes for around 10c a piece. If the card if usually a less common one it can go a bit higher. Generally if you have cards for a game that isn't played by many people, the cards can go anywhere from 20c to into the euros.

Collecting the cards and crafting them gives you a background and a steam chat emoticon, some of these can sell for alot of money on the steam market if you get a particular one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,170 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Only reason i can see for getting the Day One achievement is if there are offers exclusive to those people. Like in XBox Live store, it checks to see if you have the achievement then gives you a discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Only reason i can see for getting the Day One achievement is if there are offers exclusive to those people. Like in XBox Live store, it checks to see if you have the achievement then gives you a discount.

o_O Oh really ?????? I didn't know this , any examples????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think he was being hypothetical. Good idea though.

maximoose wrote: »
    I think he was being hypothetical. Good idea though.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I actually just wrote a big old big about achievements last night. I love then, and work pretty damn hard to get them. They're fun, and supply my games with some extra replay value. I'm in the middle of going after the one in DmC for getting a SSS taking on each level in hard mode.

However, if they're now giving then away for watching and so on, then their reducing the value of achievements to nothing. It'll no longer represent things that's you've actually achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I've no problem with them, never really do them... but i'd imagine they'd add a lot of replay value for some people.

Complete the game once.. enjoy it.
    Complete the game twice.. getting all the achievements.

I know some people that loved them in world of warcraft ! Got them replaying older content, especially good for people who never played the game when it was current.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

They're a challenge for people who are looking for a challenge. They're a false sense of achievement in an artform that until quite recently was very much about the false sense of achievement. Amount A of Work = Reward B is a very satisfying mechanic for quite a lot of people.

I know some of the ones you get for firing a game up for the first time or reaching a key moment 10 minutes in seem stupid, but I suppose on release day it lets all your friends know that you got your game and are playing it, from the developer's point of view it creates a rolling stream of progress indicators that might - for example - generate sales if you have 3 friends all playing Game X and you can see that they're investing a lot of time into it. In that sense they have a point. Even the Netflix one - it presumably shows on your profile and everyone knows you've got netflix. It raises awareness. If that makes one or two more people check Netflix out then it's done it's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

The way Sony are going with them and how Steam have been in listing the rarity of a particular achievement rather than attaching a fixed points value is much more "to the point" of what these things should be about. At the end of the day there's satisfaction in beating an optional boss that only 2% of owners have been able to get.
    There's a bit of nonsense on the xbox side especially with the "day one achievement", pizza hut achievements and this one especially took the biscuit. http://www.avclub.com/article/xbox-one-will-reward-you-for-watching-five-kevin-j-105890
    If its audience feels rewarded just by being told "this is a reward" then what can you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,170 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

calex71 wrote: »
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww :(

Sorry to disappoint. :)

Some achievements are fun like Portal 2
    the part where he kills you
    but at times it feels like lazy design. Make a short linear game that doesn't allow backtracking but then throw in a load of treasures to pad out the game

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,309 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Borderlands 2 has some of the best Achievements ever, and many of them you'll just stumble across while exploring.
    Double Rainbow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've noticed a lot of Achievements on Steam barely qualify as actual Achievements.

Recently while playing a game I got an Achievement just for completing the opening quest. That was literally all I did. It was pointless, and there's so many more like it.

Some Achievements in some games are quite good or fun, I had a few in WoW which I was oddly proud off, namely the 250k PvP kills Achievement and Field Marshall rank.

Most of them seem like nothing more than a pointless time-sink that somehow suck basically intelligent people into playing for many more hours than they actually enjoy, just for a 1-second splash screen that congratulates you on wasting part of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

deathrider wrote: »
    However, if they're now giving then away for watching and so on, then their reducing the value of achievements to nothing. It'll no longer represent things that's you've actually achieved.
    From what I understand they're 0 point achievements though. Is that not so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of Achievements on Steam barely qualify as actual Achievements.

Recently while playing a game I got an Achievement just for completing the opening quest. That was literally all I did. It was pointless, and there's so many more like it.

Most games have those opening quest achievements. The funny thing is when you check the achievement stats on Steam and see only 90% of people have that achievement.

Most games have those opening quest achievements. The funny thing is when you check the achievement stats on Steam and see only 90% of people have that achievement.
    Does it only start counting when someone plays? I guess it must because I'm sure loads of people buy things on Steam sales and don't play 'em. With the 360, TrueAchievements tracks achievements on games, as soon as someone gets the first achievement in a game, it tracks if you get any more. Loads of gamers only seem to bother getting the first in a lot of games they've played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Now that I think about it I don't think steam tracks achievements if you're offline so that could also contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Borderlands 2 has some of the best Achievements ever, and many of them you'll just stumble across while exploring.
    Double Rainbow!!

Borderlands had some good ones also
    "Be like an italian plumber" where you have to kill a skag by jumping on its head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Pushtrak wrote: »
    From what I understand they're 0 point achievements though. Is that not so?

Thats my understanding as well. you get an achievement but it isnt additive to your gamerscore.

sarumite wrote: »
    Borderlands had some good ones also
    "Be like an italian plumber" where you have to kill a skag by jumping on its head

Good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

I like the achievements for the ability to go into friends lists and see which games they have played and how far they got in them. Even though I know they are ultimately pointless I like comparing my lists with others to see what our opinions on games were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I think achieves as they are are pointless. Now give me a system like Goldeneye had where it opens 'cheats' and I'd be all over achieves. God damn but I spent some serious time trying to complete levels to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Stanley Parable makes you really work for those achievements. Some day I will get "It is impossible to unlock this achievement".

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I love achievements, they are a brilliant instant digital high five after you've struggled through a level on Veteran or whatever.
    Battlefield 3 had some great ones like getting a kill with a Jet, Tank and assault rifle in one life or running someone over with the Skidloader :D

X1 achievements so far are a load of balls, not only forcing you to be online the whole time when they promised one update and you'd never have to go online again but Forza 5 has a load of poxey multiplayer and marketplace cheevos :mad:

I love achievements, they are a brilliant instant digital high five after you've struggled through a level on Veteran or whatever.
    Battlefield 3 had some great ones like getting a kill with a Jet, Tank and assault rifle in one life or running someone over with the Skidloader :D

X1 achievements so far are a load of balls, not only forcing you to be online the whole time when they promised one update and you'd never have to go online again but Forza 5 has a load of poxey multiplayer and marketplace cheevos :mad:
    Don't they unlock when you go online? With the 360 achievements didn't matter till you went online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I usually never go out of my way too much to beat achievements. They just pop up every now and again but I pay no attention to them.

There's a few good ones in Assetto Corsa, "beat the driver who shall not be named" (the Stig) he set a lap time on top gear with the Ferrari 458 on Imola. It's not easy to match his time though. They have a few historic lap times on certain tracks that you have to beat and they encourage you to get better at the game.

Advertisement