Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop Gigs 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Sugar Club posted this up on Twitter. Good chunk of this years hip hop shows have been on there so could be more of the same!

@sugarclubdublin: We have two very special nights lined up this weekend which we will announce tomorrow morning!!Dont commit to anything cos this will be big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

HighClass wrote: »
    Sugar Club posted this up on Twitter. Good chunk of this years hip hop shows have been on there so could be more of the same!

@sugarclubdublin: We have two very special nights lined up this weekend which we will announce tomorrow morning!!Dont commit to anything cos this will be big!

I'll be home this weekend. I need more information now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm going to Pharcyde and Slum Village tonight in Winnipeg. Gonna be trill!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Is the Mobb Deep concert sold out? Can't seem to get tickets on ticketmaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

They're selling on tickets.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Is the Mobb Deep concert sold out? Can't seem to get tickets on ticketmaster?

If you can, I would buy off one of the supporting artists. They get X amount to sell to perform and need to sell Y amount to get a bit of profit.
    It's the way the Bloodshed lads organise the events so that they can get a bunch of local talent to perform and pack the venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Were any of ye at Technique last night ? Gig was phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mksbart1948

anyone from Ireland going to Czech Republic for biggest hiphop festival in Europe - Hip Hop Kemp? I'm going to Prague on 19th august and wonder if there be anyone else from IRL heading to Hradlec :>

www. hiphopkemp.cz/?ln=en

Line-up:

♪ KRS-ONE ♪ ONYX & SNOWGOONS ♪ RAS KASS
    ♪ DILATED PEOPLES ♪ CUNNINLYNGUISTS ♪ ACTION BRONSON
    ♪ CEE-LO GREEN ♪ BILAL ♪ BLACK MILK ♪ BLACK MOON
    ♪ Bizarre Ride 2 THE PHARCYDE (Fatlip & Slimkid3, J-Swift, L.A. Jay)
    ♪ UGLY HEROES (Apollo Brown, Verbal Kent, Red Pill)
    ♪ DYNASTY ♪ MC MELODEE ♪ BARREL BROTHERS (Torae & Skyzoo)
    ♪ BETTY FORD BOYS (Suff Daddy, Brenk Sinatra & Dexter)
    ♪ MADCHILD ♪ DILLON COOPER ♪ SNAK THE RIPPER

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Anyone know what time Mobb Deep are on later?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

♪ KRS-ONE ♪ ONYX & SNOWGOONS ♪ RAS KASS
    ♪ DILATED PEOPLES ♪ CUNNINLYNGUISTS ♪ ACTION BRONSON
    ♪ CEE-LO GREEN ♪ BILAL ♪ BLACK MILK ♪ BLACK MOON
    ♪ Bizarre Ride 2 THE PHARCYDE (Fatlip & Slimkid3, J-Swift, L.A. Jay)
    ♪ UGLY HEROES (Apollo Brown, Verbal Kent, Red Pill)
    ♪ DYNASTY ♪ MC MELODEE ♪ BARREL BROTHERS (Torae & Skyzoo)
    ♪ BETTY FORD BOYS (Suff Daddy, Brenk Sinatra & Dexter)
    ♪ MADCHILD ♪ DILLON COOPER ♪ SNAK THE RIPPER

That's an excellent looking line up.....i'd advise checking out Dillon Copper, he's one to watch for the future.
    Anyone know what time Mobb Deep are on later?

Doors at 7, so i'd assume things start about 7.30. 10 support acts i'd say averaging 20 - 30 minutes each....they'll be on real late.
    I think the last gig these lads put on was Onyx, and they were real late.

• Advertisement

Nice one, thanks. Didn't realise there were so many support acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheJozer

It took 5 hours for Mobb Deep to come on, only to perform a 35 minute set and they didn't even do any signings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

TheJozer wrote: »
    It took 5 hours for Mobb Deep to come on, only to perform a 35 minute set and they didn't even do any signings.

Unsurprising, pair of clowns.

They played for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

When you say it took 5 hours, you hardly expected them to be on at 7:30 did you?

The poster had about 10 support acts listed, I asked one of the lads coming in what time Mobb Deep would be on at and he said at least 11:30. Their set was about an hour as well, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,834 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The set lasted about an hour, was nearly dead with the heat by the time they came on :o

If anyone is about town this evening, pop into the Mercantile at 8 to lend support to the Boss Level crew. It's free in, and they need support to land a spot at Electric Picnic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Anyone going Mic Righteous? 29th September in the twisted pepper, tickets €15

Ticket booked for Sziget.

I'm going to see OutKast :D

I'll be around for Macklemore as well. Not fussed but if there aren't many at it I might pop in.

"If there aren't many at it" - how stupid was I. I am not a fan of Macklemore. I like some songs, but I haven't bought into the hype.

He had a massive crowd. We moved right in for it, so I can't say how many were there but it looked huge.

His interaction with the crowd was the highlight of the show. I've been to many concerts where the artist is half-arsed and couldn't give a ****. The Kooks were an example of this at Sziget this year. The lead singer just repeated "you're great/fantastic/super" all night. Pathetic.

I knew very few of the songs but I had a whale of a time. It was one of the most enjoyable performances I've seen, and this is from someone who has been very sceptical in the past about his performing abilities.

The first song that Outkast played was B.O.B. That was enough for me. They could have ended it right there, it's my favourite.

They didn't, they went on to play all sorts.

André's performance on the third track they played is probably the greatest verse I've ever heard live. There was no need for a hype man for it. He nailed it. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the song was.

I'm over the moon that I got to see them. I can cross it off of my bucket list.

In two weeks I'm going to see Freddie Gibbs in Manchester. That's another bucket list gig.

After that, I can only really think of Chamillionaire and Rakim as being on my must-see list.

EDIT: I can't say enough good things about Sziget. I'd really recommend going to it next year. It's an incredible set up, suitable for all tastes and ages. Even pets are welcome.

DOUBLE EDIT: Seeing Big Boi and Sleepy Brown perform "They Way You Move" was amazing. I bought the double album on the back of hearing that song on one of the Tiger Woods games for the PS2.

Finally, the visuals that were playing on the back screen for Macklemore's set were top notch. Definitely the best I've ever seen. More thought and production went into them than into a lifetime of music videos.

Jungle Brothers - 24th Sept - The Sugar Club - Nice

• Advertisement

André's performance on the third track they played is probably the greatest verse I've ever heard live. There was no need for a hype man for it. He nailed it. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the song was.

ATLiens

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

This is the best Nas performance I've seen in years, setlist is incredible and he even spat 'One Love' over Biggie's 'Sky's The Limit' beat:

Freddie Gibbs last night -> F*cking great

The few lads in the front row got a lovely shower of Gibbs sweat for the whole show which was hilarious. Jimmy Iovine would have loved that :pac:

Great mix of songs from his albums and mixtapes, the crowd got most amped for the Pinata tracks he played though.

As for the Dublin Reps (GI, Costello, Jambo ACR, DCR), they were OK, but too many of them on stage. GI and Costello are clearly the best out of those lads and have a much better and clearer delivery.

I was also trying to decide on who was the most high in the building, Gibbs or GI....i think GI won that by a toke or 2 given how he was staring intensly at my t-shirt through the Gibbs set.

And Gibbs really doesn't like the police :)

Great night. Even better when I walking in on the guest list, and going through the basement and backstage area to get up to the front of the stage for the set.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Freddie Gibbs last night -> F*cking great

The few lads in the front row got a lovely shower of Gibbs sweat for the whole show which was hilarious. Jimmy Iovine would have loved that :pac:

Great mix of songs from his albums and mixtapes, the crowd got most amped for the Pinata tracks he played though.

As for the Dublin Reps (GI, Costello, Jambo ACR, DCR), they were OK, but too many of them on stage. GI and Costello are clearly the best out of those lads and have a much better and clearer delivery.

I was also trying to decide on who was the most high in the building, Gibbs or GI....i think GI won that by a toke or 2 given how he was staring intensly at my t-shirt through the Gibbs set.

And Gibbs really doesn't like the police :)

Great night. Even better when I walking in on the guest list, and going through the basement and backstage area to get up to the front of the stage for the set.

I went to the Manchester gig the night before. I can die a happy man.

It was incredible. The most relaxed and enjoyable gig I've ever been to. We didn't get any rappers on before him. Some guy was on the decks spinning some classics, which was pretty fun.

Gibbs was absolutely ****ed when he came on stage. I got to the front row but regretted it. The stage was small that only three people and the decks fitted on it. Gibbs was right up in front of me. I had to take a step back to see him properly.

He played tunes across the board. I loved Pinata, but I'm more of a fan of his earlier stuff so I was delighted to hear him play BFK songs.

I absolutely loved how he rapper acapella for the last verse of each song. He may have been ****ed but he nailed every single one. Which leads me on to the best part of the night.

The first song I heard Gibbs on was a track he did three years ago with Curren$y called Scottie Pippens. His verse is outrageously good. His double-time flow is the greatest I've ever heard and the verse itself is my all-time favourite.

Imagine how happy I was to hear him rap that verse acapella? I couldn't believe it. I'm pretty sure I was one of the few who recognised it as well. I don't know of too many other rappers who do their guest verses at gigs.

Afterwards, I managed to tell Freddie just how much I love that verse. I queued up for a photo and took my chance. I'm still in a different world. He's the first rapper I've ever spoken to. In fact, he's the first 'celebrity' (in music or sport) that I've actually had a conversation with.

Basically, that gig was the greatest night of my life. I said on here a while ago that he is lethal when he goes acapella at a gig and I'm delighted I got to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

Talib Kweli. Sugar Club. December 10th.

http://www.thesugarclub.com/listings/event/talib-kweli

Talib Kweli. Sugar Club. December 10th.

http://www.thesugarclub.com/listings/event/talib-kweli

Has anyone been to see him before?

I'm considering booking a ticket for his Manchester gig.

Also, I'm looking at a Joey Bada$$ gig as well. Would he be worth a trip? I love 1999 and Summer Knights. Has anyone seen him live?

Has anyone been to see him before?

I'm considering booking a ticket for his Manchester gig.

Also, I'm looking at a Joey Bada$$ gig as well. Would he be worth a trip? I love 1999 and Summer Knights. Has anyone seen him live?

I've seen Kweli before, nothing to write home about, a few songs were good live but i found myself longing for more of his earlier songs and hoping Yasin Bey would come onstage and do a few Black Star numbers.

Never seen Joey, but would be very interested to see him live.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've seen Kweli before, nothing to write home about, a few songs were good live but i found myself longing for more of his earlier songs and hoping Yasin Bey would come onstage and do a few Black Star numbers.

Never seen Joey, but would be very interested to see him live.

Well, I only really know his early stuff so I might give him a miss. He's on during the week, so it'd be a hassle getting up there.

Joey is on a Friday. I think I'll go for him instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Anyone goin to Shabazz Palaces in Twisted Pepper? Saw them at Body & Soul before I was into em, seriously excited now that I've dived into their catalogue

• Advertisement

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Anyone goin to Shabazz Palaces in Twisted Pepper? Saw them at Body & Soul before I was into em, seriously excited now that I've dived into their catalogue

Seen them a year or so ago in the TP. I wont be going again though. They were OK, but the live show is more of a musical experience that you can't really observe properly in the TP.

Advertisement