Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental leave query

Options
  • 28-11-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone,
    I'm a stay at home Mum and my husband earns the dosh. He has a sole trader business, aside from the regular office job, and we're thinking of giving this business a big push on. To do this he would have to take up to 3 months parental leave. Now in the legislation it states that "parental leave can only be taken for the purpose of childcare"...

Does anyone know how strict this is, would he be in big trouble if it was found out he wasn't childminding? Has anyone else done this, any tips or advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance xx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I don't know the answer.

But I do know that a man in my work took parental leave, and he minds the kids during the day, and is doing a masters also, so he studies when they are in playschool and in the evening when his wife is home.

So maybe you could argue that your husband minds the kids in the evening/ night time/ morning when you are off duty and works on his business when he is free?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

If you are going to continue to be a SAHM he would not be eligible for it, it really is for childcare, if people start taking the piss out of it it will probably be reduced or removed altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hmmm. i don't know. I do know a couple of families who used it where one parent was from another country. They both travelled to that country for a few months for the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eimerom

I didn't think you needed to explain yourself when taking this kind of leave as long as it is involves the children, I really can't imagine them checking up on someone that has taken this leave to make sure they are spending all the time with the kids. How is anyone to know that you are not working or commenced a part-time course or some other personal reason. I take a few weeks off work every summer so I can spread my annual leave out throughout the year and there is never any issue and there has never ever been a mention of if my spouse works (he's usually off himself those weeks also as it happens).

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

It wouldn't be checked up on by any state body, but it could put him in the bad books with the company that employs him if they see he is pushing his own business while holding a job with them through availing of parental leave.

Also, he is entitled to Parental Leave, but the company are not obliged to agree to the format in which he wants to take it. They could request that he take 2 days per week for instance, rather than a block of the leave.

If his request is denied, he can reapply for the same format of leave in 6 months time & the company are obliged to grant it at this stage.

When I was availing of parental leave I had to submit in writing the reasons I wanted to take it. If he has to do this he will have to lie for his reasons. It's a tricky situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement