Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this legal?

Options
  • 28-11-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advise on this one. I bought 2 pairs of boots for my daughter on 6th November in Barrett's shoe store as I did not have her with me and I was unsure which size to get her so the sales assistant told me I could get a full refund on one or both pairs if they did not suit. She said I had 28 days to get this refund which brings me to 4th December.
    As it turns out 1 pair is too small and the other pair is too narrow , I went in today to get the refund, both pairs are in there box and not worn but they wouldn't give me my refund there gone in to receivership or something and they won't even exchange them!
    I am now stuck with 2 pairs of boots that don't fit my daughter after paying €96 for them they are useless to me....do I have any rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I would assume not, the products you bought were in perfect saleable condition when purchased, it's the buyer's responsibility to ensure they are correct size/etc, not the seller's.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

dulpit wrote: »
    I would assume not, the products you bought were in perfect saleable condition when purchased, it's the buyer's responsibility to ensure they are correct size/etc, not the seller's.

Even though I told the girl I wasn't sure of the size and she said that I could get a refund, it even says it on the receipt?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Shadylou wrote: »
    Even though I told the girl I wasn't sure of the size and she said that I could get a refund, it even says it on the receipt?

you'd have to prove she said that
    - did she put anything in writing
    - is there anything in their store policy's that allows you to return items in such cases

If not then you're out of luck,

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cabaal wrote: »
    you'd have to prove she said that
    - did she put anything in writing
    - is there anything in their store policy's that allows you to return items in such cases

If not then you're out of luck,
    OP says it mentioned 28 refunds on the receipt? Do the conditions change when a company go into recievership?

Oryx wrote: »
    OP says it mentioned 28 refunds on the receipt? Do the conditions change when a company go into recievership?

It says on the back of the receipt that if I am unhappy with my purchase then I can bring it back in a resell able condition( which they are, they were only tried on for a minute) then I can get a refund within 28 days
    The girl on the till even said that I would have been told I could get a refund on the day I bought them but that because they didn't know then about the administration or something that they don't have to honour their word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,081 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any voluntary extensions of consumer rights like this can be withdrawn whenever they want. The receiver has clearly done so. You have no legal rights here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

everyone is missing a very important point in the original post. Barretts are in RECEIVERSHIP.

Even if the girl gave it to you in writing and promised the sun moon and stars, you have unfortunately being caught up in a legal conundrum - similar to HMV, were and A-Wear today. She said it in good faith as she would not have known it was about to go bust - her job is also all byt gone too.

The company you bought the shoes from are basically bust and the legal firm that is running the business is doing so to try and get a buyer. If the stores close, they can lose value.

Personally I can't see a buyer being found and you will see a mega clearance sale soon. In a official receivership /liquidation sale all sales would be final and it is one of the very few areas where you won't have come back if anything bought in a liquidation sale is afterwards found faulty.

I guess I'll just have accept it then, I really felt sorry for the girl behind the till so I just left it, she gave me an address I can write to so I will try that.....I really need that €100 back though cos I'd already spent Santa money on a pair of lelly Kelly boots for her and I needed the money to finish off paying for a Santa present lol so it was already spent in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Unfortunate, but you could always sell them on adverts.ie etc., children's clothes and shoes sell well.

Barratt's have more than likely operated their goodwill policy for years and years. It's important to note that it goes beyond your statutory rights - you are never legally entitled to a change-of-mind refund. Sales assistants are usually the last to know, she gave you that information in good faith. Receivers can and will impose their own policies- and limiting aftersales services would usually be the first step, understandably.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,441 ✭✭✭✭Victor

do I have any rights?
    It would seem no. The product is of merchantable quality.

Why don't you return with your daughter and try to get an exchange instead of a refund? Spending some money with them might encourage them.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    It would seem no. The product is of merchantable quality.

Why don't you return with your daughter and try to get an exchange instead of a refund? Spending some money with them might encourage them.

I asked if I could exchange them for a pair of shoes for my son and a pair of boots for me and they said that they absolutely cannot even change them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try contacting the receiver - but I wouldn't have any great expectations.

dudara wrote: »
    Try contacting the receiver - but I wouldn't have any great expectations.

Thats what the girl told me.....I'd say I'm down the bottom of a very long list though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thats what the girl told me.....I'd say I'm down the bottom of a very long list though

Did you pay with a Credit Card, your bank Might do a chargeback, you were promised a refund, which they now will not honour, but it's a stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

MYOB wrote: »
    Any voluntary extensions of consumer rights like this can be withdrawn whenever they want. The receiver has clearly done so. You have no legal rights here.

What basis do you have for this? There are various pieces of consumer legislation that stop this from happening, chief of which is the Consumer Protection Act.

Receivership may or may not change the OPs position, but a running business can not unilaterally change contract terms.

Bepolite wrote: »
    What basis do you have for this? There are various pieces of consumer legislation that stop this from happening, chief of which is the Consumer Protection Act.

Receivership may or may not change the OPs position, but a running business can not unilaterally change contract terms.

A voluntary offer such as this is not a contract term and is completely uncovered by any legislation.

A voluntary offer such as this is not a contract term and is completely uncovered by any legislation.

What is your basis for this assertion? It clearly falls within the ambit of the Consumer protection Act. Read sections 41 onwards.

What makes you think it's not part of the contract simpliciter?

What is your basis for this assertion? It clearly falls within the ambit of the Consumer protection Act. Read sections 41 onwards.

What makes you think it's not part of the contract simpliciter?

Go ahead, show me where it specifies that voluntary offers over and above consumer rights have any legal protection. Rather than referring obtusely to a section on misleading consumer practices and advertising none of which apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I asked if I could exchange them for a pair of shoes for my son and a pair of boots for me and they said that they absolutely cannot even change them

Surely that can't be right. The shop is still open. They're still selling shoes. Does it mean that if I buy a pair of shoes today that I cant exchange them tomorrow for whatever reason just because they're in administration :confused:. Who in their right mind would buy a pair of shoes there now if that's the case.

Go ahead, show me where it specifies that voluntary offers over and above consumer rights have any legal protection. Rather than referring obtusely to a section on misleading consumer practices and advertising none of which apply here.

If you can't read one section of an act you've no business commenting that there is no legislative provisions.

The basic standard is that if a consumer is induced into a transaction they would not normally make then there has been a breach of the CPA. 'Full refund or 'Change your mind within X days clear and obviously falls under this.

You've still not backed up your assertions - You still haven't made any reference to why a returns policy can't form part of a contract simpliciter.

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    Surely that can't be right. The shop is still open. They're still selling shoes. Does it mean that if I buy a pair of shoes today that I cant exchange them tomorrow for whatever reason just because they're in administration :confused:. Who in their right mind would buy a pair of shoes there now if that's the case.

You never have any innate legal right to exchange something for 'whatever reason' anywhere, only if its defective, doesn't meet description or similar.

emeldc wrote: »

I'm afraid my company law isn't great on varying terms of contracts under these situations but given HMV and gift vouchers I'd say they probably have some out. That said they may just know they are in contravention of consumer law and doing it anyway due to the circumstances.

If you can't read one section of an act you've no business commenting that there is no legislative provisions.

The basic standard is that if a consumer is induced into a transaction they would not normally make then there has been a breach of the CPA. 'Full refund or 'Change your mind within X days clear and obviously falls under this.

You've still not backed up your assertions - You still haven't made any reference to why a returns policy can't form part of a contract simpliciter.

A voluntary, withdrawable offer would not induce the average consumer in to buying something. Irish consumer law does not protect people who don't read terms and conditions.

You never have any innate legal right to exchange something for 'whatever reason' anywhere, only if its defective, doesn't meet description or similar.

Where is this written? You keep parroting this off. You are talking about rights under one piece of legislation, there are numerous pieces of legislation and a whole body of law on contracts.
    A voluntary, withdrawable offer would not induce the average consumer in to buying something. Irish consumer law does not protect people who don't read terms and conditions.

What are you on about. Once a contract is formed the conditions can't be changed by one side. Do you not realise how ridiculous that would be? Your terms and conditions point is confused. A returns policy will form part of the T&Cs. These might be on the receipt or posted on a sign in the store.

Where is this written? You keep parroting this off. You are talking about rights under one piece of legislation, there are numerous pieces of legislation and a whole body of law on contracts.

Where is what written? The reasons why someone can return an item are stated, the reasons why they can't aren't.

Sorry MYOB you're wrong in this instance - if a contract is formed on X basis then it's formed on X basis. You can't then say 'oh actually I changed my mind'. Consumer law does not override a decision taken by a private business to offer more than a customer's statutory rights.

Sorry MYOB you're wrong in this instance - if a contract is formed on X basis then it's formed on X basis. You can't then say 'oh actually I changed my mind'. Consumer law does not override a decision taken by a private business to offer more than a customer's statutory rights.

Can you show any incidences, at all, of this scenario being upheld in court?

There's the additional and more serious issue of the company in question being in receivership but we can leave that out for this purpose.

Can you show any incidences, at all, of this scenario being upheld in court?

I'll tell you what. I will go searching on Westlaw and Justis for you but first show me evidence for your proposition which isn't a link to 'commonly held knowledge here'. Show me any primary source (legislation / case law) or secondary source (text book / academic commentary) that backs up your position.

There's the additional and more serious issue of the company in question being in receivership but we can leave that out for this purpose.

Can we - given your knowledge of company law please point us in the direction of where a receiver can vary the terms of it's contracts. This is a genuine question I am honestly willing to be guided here as I'm happy to admit when I don't know something.

• Advertisement

I'm going to take that as a lengthy 'no', then

Advertisement