Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paramedic course swansea/birmingham

Options
  • 28-11-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Has anyone completed or know someone that has done the 2 yr paramedic course over in swansea or Birmingham?
    As I far as I can make out, it is possible for irish applicants to receive funding.
    Also how does this DipHE qualification compare to the Irish Paramedic program?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darthemar

A friend of mine has attended one of those courses. The fees are paid but that is all and this is changing for EU student(as the funds are not there supposedly). Currently he is in serious financial due to this course. You must realise that the placement and travel to and from and even accommodation for placement as you can be placed anywhere in Birmingham, accommodation to live there, living cost and course equipment(ie books, etc), finance a car. Your looking in there region of 30,000 euro before you qualify and that is not an over estimate. I have thought about this route and this seems like a good way but the cost is one thing. Also he has applied for registration with PHECC and it seems Phecc will not recognised this at Advanced Paramedic level, due to the fact of the added internship and hours to become a paramedic and advanced paramedic. So you must take into account of hours that have lead to an advanced paramedic role. You would be better off applying to a uni the is Bsc (hons). These are clear pathways to the Advance Paramedic role. Also to note as DipHE are funded and there is on 6 in the uk, the competition for such small numbers is crazy. I known in Sheffield, there was 20 place and 1500 hundred applied

The main reason I am say all this is due to the fact that if you do manage to get a DipHE and qualify. You will be practicing in the uk to that similar to and Advanced paramedic. If you come back to ireland, you will only be recognised as a paramedic. no matter how long you work you will have to then taken time out of your career and study to get the Bsc, which can take time (Between 2-4years part-time)

Then the argument arises. wait for the HSE recruitment. which is just over. Or the Ucd course which is meant to go live in 2014, with acceptances in sept 2015. Or ICO which will be the main pathway for the future along with the UCD course.

Seeing my friend has really deterred me. He enjoys it but he is really lucky to have such a good family background. However I am not so lucky and will be aiming for UCD.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mayocyclist

Never got around to thank you for your response ..... Very helpful cheers buddy

• Advertisement
Advertisement