Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bengal cats - advice, where to buy?

Options
  • 28-11-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I'm hoping to purchase a Bengal Cat next year.

I'm a very experienced cat owner, and have wanted a Bengal for years.

I'm looking for recommendations of where to buy one. I know there are always quite a few listed on done deal but I'd like to do a lot of research before rushing out and buying.

Are there other places to look for kittens for sale?

Any tips/advice generally related to Bengals from current owners much appreciated.

I've done some reading and I know there is a fairly high rate of blindness in some bengals, obviously I want to be sure I get a healthy kitten that will live a long happy life.

I'm not looking to breed, and I would prefer a male kitten.

Are there tests the kitten should have prior to purchase to ensure he is well-bred?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

The best thing to do to find out more about a breed is to go to a cat show - the next one is in Dundalk in January, there's always bengals there!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

HCM, there is no genetic test available for Bengals unlike other pedigrees, and it is noted in Bengals.

I wouldn't pay for a pedigree without proof that the adults were screened for heart health, its not a guarantee like genetic testing but unfortunately, breeders are propagating this disease, its preventable (with testing and screening) and yet, much more prolific in pedigrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

The best thing to do to find out more about a breed is to go to a cat show - the next one is in Dundalk in January, there's always bengals there!

Not around for the that one but will definitely try to catch a show. :)
    Rips wrote: »
    HCM, there is no genetic test available for Bengals unlike other pedigrees, and it is noted in Bengals.

I wouldn't pay for a pedigree without proof that the adults were screened for heart health, its not a guarantee like genetic testing but unfortunately, breeders are propagating this disease, its preventable (with testing and screening) and yet, much more prolific in pedigrees.

That's exactly the kind of info I'm seeking. Thanks.

I guess my best bet then [as well as seeking proof of heart health] would be to talk to people with offspring from the same breeding cats and see how their health is.

Hopefully someone here has a Bengal and can share their recommendations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Yes, you might be able to find certain lines, although as far as I understand it is very prevalent in Bengals, so you may be up against it in this country, as you'll have a smaller 'pool'. It can cause early deaths though, so well worth your while doing the background checks - I can't imagine anything worse.

http://www.sunstormbengals.com/

and

http://www.wwbengal.com/wildwaters.html

Are the best in my opinion. Both are great with asking questions and letting you come up and see the cats themselves. If you are in Dublin its worth checking out wwbengal or just drop them both a line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Great looking outdoor area for the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll check out those websites. :)

And again, if anyone reading this has a Bengal in Ireland, feel free to reply or PM me as I'd love to get more info from someone who has actually purchased a kitten from an Irish breeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 prinou

That's funny, I was doing some maintenance on my web site and I find this page googling my cattery name. I am perrine Kennedy from Wild Waters mentioned above.
    I think it is a very healthy idea to investigate the breed and ask questions to breeders. Yes, HCM (Heart disease) is becoming more prevalent in the breed unfortunately. First it is extremely difficult in this country to get a appointment with a cadio vet. There is one coming once a month to UCD from Scotland and you have to wait months to have an appointment for one cat (She sees about 6 a day :/ ) … and the sick ones have priority. Secondly it is a disease that generally occurs later in the cats life so many kittens could have been produce before realising there is something wrong with your lines. Ask for a copy of the scan results. It should be done once a year (and it cost a small fortune !) Blindness exist in the breed, it is called PRA but is not prevalent. There is no test for it. PK def is another one. It is very easy to test , results should be either Pk def N/N or N/N. K/K is a sick cat. I put together a page to help people selecting the cattery and their kitten here : http://www.wwbengal.com/pick.html . It is slightly outdated, I have to update it. If you would like to get in touch, I d be happy to give you a few email address of customers if they don t mind. I have no kittens right now but I'll probably have some next spring. All the best, Perrine

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I can vouch for Perrine. I have seen her cats and her kittens at shows. She raises her kittens with the best of care and her love for the breed shows. Worth going for a visit and a chat and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 prinou

thank you mad house ! I am very flattered.

• Advertisement

I can vouch for Perrine. I have seen her cats and her kittens at shows. She raises her kittens with the best of care and her love for the breed shows. Worth going for a visit and a chat and see what you think.

+1 for Perrine, got to meet her at the cat show. Always very helpful.

Advertisement