Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CZ 455 hmr wow!!!

Options
  • 28-11-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi Lads, if any of ye are in the market for an accurate 17 look no further than the cz. I picked up the 455 thumbhole varmint at the w end and just got to scope it up and get it on paper at 50 yards then but today I did some plinking at 100 yards and I'm blown away with the accuracy out of a rifle that came in a fraction over 600 quid new with a Sak mod.
    A five shot group produced a ragged little group the size of your baby finger nail at 100 yards with the federal ammo. And it only has 40 rounds through it so far, what's it going to be like when it's run in. I had a sako quad in 22 mag that was nice but not as nice as this.
    The thumbhole stock has a lovely feel to it too the only fault I have with it is the trigger which while having no creep is quite heavy so you really have to focus on your trigger control but a yo Dave kit should solve this.
    All in all really happy with this little rifle just have to blood it now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Accuracy like that blooding it shouldn't be any problem.

Can they be got without the thumb hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I bought one 3 months ago still waiting on the sub from the .22 to come through long wait for a sub. I can't wait to give it a go

The other thing about them is the interchangable barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

The thumbhole stock seems to be most popular here, I'm sure you prob can get different one. The federal ammo just works very well in the rifle, tried some Remington in it aswell but wasn't patch on federal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The thumbhole stock seems to be most popular here, I'm sure you prob can get different one. The federal ammo just works very well in the rifle, tried some Remington in it aswell but wasn't patch on federal

Federal ammo is far better than any other I tried in my marlin..
    Not planning to change from it anytime soon. hornady is dirt and prone to split cases.

And at 15 quid a box the federal ammo is great value too :-D

• Advertisement

After the above posts I'll have to make the federal my first choice to try are ye using 17 or 20 grain

Using the 17gr b-tips. You won't be disappointed:-D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I invested in one some 3 months ago, and have loved every minute with it since. Little heavy for all the size of the caliber, but a tack driver of a gun.

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=14958

Since i took this picture i replaced the scope with a Hawke Sidewinder. Little more weight but i prefer it.

I tried three brands of ammo:
    1. Federal 17gr (b-tip) - Best, tightest and most consistent round. Gav clover leaf at 100 and between 3/4" - 1.5" groups (depending on my shooting) at 200 yards
    2. Remington 17gr (b-tip) - Good groups, and tigther than the Hornady, however got more than one flyer at times when shooting in groups of 5. Would be my second choice bullet.
    3. Hornady 17gr - Gave decent groups, but most were vertical. So horizontally they measured less than 1/2", but vertically they were about an inch. No mis fires, or split cases. Third choice round.

I have since changed all ammo over the Federal. Having said that i'd happily pick any of three and knowing that the zero for all three is the same would confidently take a shot out to 200 with her..

The issue i had was the trigger. I though it was heavy but when i measured it, it was over 5.5lb of pull. So much that at one sage i thought i had the safety one.

Thanks to Dev110, i got a spring, and shim kit for it. I alternated, but found that i either had a slight reduction in pull or it was gone altogether and it would not pass a bump test. To solve it i removed the shim, put in the lowest tension spring, and hey presto. A nice crisp 1.25lb pull. Perfect (for me anyway).

I haven't been to the range since, but intend to head over tomorrow and will test her again with the improved trigger. I love the thumbhole stock on it. The feeling of a good tight grip is something i find missing in other rifles. So even with the weight it's completely manageable.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

+1 the federal Vmax runs very sweetly in mine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

3.Hornady 17gr - Gave decent groups, but most were vertical. So horizontally they measured less than 1/2", but vertically they were about an inch. No mis fires, or split cases. Third choice round.

Vertical stringing often points to the trigger/your release.

Just a casual observation, don't doubt you got good results with the other brands.

• Advertisement

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Vertical stringing often points to the trigger/your release.
    You're dead right it was the trigger hence the reason i said:
    Cass wrote: »
    The issue i had was the trigger. I thought it was heavy but when i measured it, it was over 5.5lb of pull. So much so that at one stage i thought i had the safety one. :D
    Ive not gotten a chance to try the rifle at the range since the trigger job. However when i got better results with the other two, even with the trigger as it was, i rated them as better than the Hornady.

As i said above i'd hate to live on the difference between the three. They all performed very good at 100 and 200 yards. Just some stood out that little better than others.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

All .17hmr ammo is loaded in the same plant on the same machines. It is all loaded by CCI.

CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products.

Linda Olin
    CCI/Speer Technical Services
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501

Interesting.

Would explain why there is so little difference between them, yet there is a difference.

I don't think I'd need the shim from the kit in my trigger as there is no creep in it so I'll just have to change the spring as the weight is quite heavy. I'm just amazed at the accuracy of the rifle off bipod with heavy trigger and just have Burris 9x scope on it. Usually when I shoot groups like that it's with a 32x or 25x scope. I think alot of it is down to how well the stock fits. Serious rifle and not just for the money

Interesting.

Would explain why there is so little difference between them, yet there is a difference.

It doesnt explain why hornady ammo is brutal for split casings though. from about 9 months onwards everyone was giving out about them, all over UK and US forums. I never noticed till I was wasting 10 round before using federal and out of 11 cases 9 were split.

I've heard a good few lads talking about this, yet in 150 rounds of Hornady i've not gotten one. I've 50 rounds left, and don't expect to see one in the box.

I've heard a good few lads talking about this, yet in 150 rounds of Hornady i've not gotten one. I've 50 rounds left, and don't expect to see one in the box.

Could have been sorted in newer batches but every second thread was about it giving out. It does seem to have quietened off now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I picked a cz 455 with the American stock, I just prefared the looked of it. Using 17g hornady in it. No sign of any split cases.
    Still looking to get my first fox,
    I was told the 20g hornadys a better on the foxes???

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

ronn wrote: »
    I picked a cz 455 with the American stock, I just prefared the looked of it. Using 17g hornady in it. No sign of any split cases.
    Still looking to get my first fox,
    I was told the 20g hornadys a better on the foxes???

Can the american barrels be swapped out handy enough? I hate thumbhole stocks.. but the american in 22lr and 17hmr would tickle me all day . :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

hedzball wrote: »
    Can the american barrels be swapped out handy enough? I hate thumbhole stocks.. but the american in 22lr and 17hmr would tickle me all day . :cool::cool:

In 455 they can be swapped out same action same barrels just different stock

• Advertisement

hedzball wrote: »

On phone so can't link but some good video on YouTube showing how handy its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭nedcbr6

Hi there the 17. Cz looks savage am think of getting 1 myself but don't know what size barrel to get with it 16 inch or the 20 inch what is the barrel size on yours ????
    Cheerz

Is that for me?

If so mine is the 20". They're a heavy little bugger of a rifle, but the 16" barreled one is better balanced than the 20" making the weight difference seem more than it actually is. I was originally going for the 16", but changed dealers at the last minute to do a multiple firearm change and all he had was the 20". As barrel length wasn't that important to me i went for the 20" for the sake of doing the three gun deal in the one dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I went for 16" barrell, find it easy on the shoulder.

Got mine from john lambert in camolin. Pleasure to deal with

Savage looking gun what size barrel is on it and what moderator on it ???
    Cheerz

Looks savage what size barrel is on it ???
    Cheerz
    I invested in one some 3 months ago, and have loved every minute with it since. Little heavy for all the size of the caliber, but a tack driver of a gun.

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=14958

Since i took this picture i replaced the scope with a Hawke Sidewinder. Little more weight but i prefer it.

I tried three brands of ammo:
    1. Federal 17gr (b-tip) - Best, tightest and most consistent round. Gav clover leaf at 100 and between 3/4" - 1.5" groups (depending on my shooting) at 200 yards
    2. Remington 17gr (b-tip) - Good groups, and tigther than the Hornady, however got more than one flyer at times when shooting in groups of 5. Would be my second choice bullet.
    3. Hornady 17gr - Gave decent groups, but most were vertical. So horizontally they measured less than 1/2", but vertically they were about an inch. No mis fires, or split cases. Third choice round.

I have since changed all ammo over the Federal. Having said that i'd happily pick any of three and knowing that the zero for all three is the same would confidently take a shot out to 200 with her..

The issue i had was the trigger. I though it was heavy but when i measured it, it was over 5.5lb of pull. So much that at one sage i thought i had the safety one.

Thanks to Dev110, i got a spring, and shim kit for it. I alternated, but found that i either had a slight reduction in pull or it was gone altogether and it would not pass a bump test. To solve it i removed the shim, put in the lowest tension spring, and hey presto. A nice crisp 1.25lb pull. Perfect (for me anyway).

I haven't been to the range since, but intend to head over tomorrow and will test her again with the improved trigger. I love the thumbhole stock on it. The feeling of a good tight grip is something i find missing in other rifles. So even with the weight it's completely manageable.

nedcbr6 wrote: »
    Savage looking gun what size barrel is on it and what moderator on it ???
    Cheerz
    nedcbr6 wrote: »
    Looks savage what size barrel is on it ???
    Cheerz
    Is that for me?

If so mine is the 20".

It's a 20" barrel with SAK mod. The mod completely comes apart for easy cleaning which you will need as the .17hmr is a dirty, dirty round. You'll accumulate a serious amount of fouling after only a small amount of shots.

As said above the 20" barrel is slightly heavier and not as balanced as the 16" barreled version. However at 20" and 25" (or so) with the mod on it's not cumbersome or awkward to carry/use. I'm used to using my other rifle which are 22" & 24" with reflex mods making them 26" & 28" maximum length.

[QUOTE=Cass; the .17hmr is a dirty, dirty round. You'll accumulate a serious amount of fouling after only a small amount of shots.

After how rounds would you need to scrub out the barrel and how many fouling shouts are needed for it to settle back down again and I understand every barrel is different

Cannot give you a definitive answer as i treat the ,17 differently to my other rifles.

I clean the mod quite frequently. Say every 35 - 50 rounds as it's easy done. The barrel however i leave for some time. Perhaps every 150 - 200 rounds. The rifle shoots more consistent and, to me, better when dirty so i don't clean frequently. However if i leave it up for some time without use i'll clean or if using more frequently i'll clean a little more regularly.

The bullets are copper coated/jacketed, unlike .22lr which are simply lead. So a quick clean with a lead & copper cleanser sorts her out. When i do it's usually 5-10 rounds before she is back tack driving although it's never that far off from spot on even directly after the clean.

It's all about personal choice. Some may clean more often, others almost never. unless it's over a prolonged amount of time i see no reason to clean unless it's loosing accuracy due to excessive fouling.

• Advertisement

Sorry yes just saw the 16" on top of the ad just making sure..
    Was at a gun dealer all he had was the 16" but like the look of ur 20" cz and mod..
    Think I'll be phoning him see if he can get me the 20" barrel ..
    And Ur were saying not too much extra wght ??
    Cheer for all Ur help Cass

It's a 20" barrel with SAK mod. The mod completely comes apart for easy cleaning which you will need as the .17hmr is a dirty, dirty round. You'll accumulate a serious amount of fouling after only a small amount of shots.

As said above the 20" barrel is slightly heavier and not as balanced as the 16" barreled version. However at 20" and 25" (or so) with the mod on it's not cumbersome or awkward to carry/use. I'm used to using my other rifle which are 22" & 24" with reflex mods making them 26" & 28" maximum length.

Advertisement