Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork city-need help when find a stray dog!

• 28-11-2013 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Im always picking up stray dogs but Ive 2 dogs myself and the jack Russell is a total psycho-lovely with people but goes nuts when other dogs around- took months and months of fighting before he learned to get on with my first dog. Most times one of the animal rescues or local vets take stray dogs i come across under their care but a few times they havent been able to help out and Ive been stuck with the stray in my place- it turns into Beirut-house and garden are small so cant separate and my dog has attacked,bitten stray and totally terrorized it.

I cant go into work on these days and its a horrendous situation as even when i keep lead on my dog around house he is constantly trying to get at new dog. Im developing a phobia now, totally avoid city centre in case end up with stray. Family and friends are no support, just tell me to turn a blind eye,but that isnt an option for me. None of my friends are in position to take the dog in for few days.

Anyone know someone who likes dogs ,lives in city or suburbs and would be able to take in future strays for a night or 2-id pay them if necessary- hopefully wont happen too often that vets cant help me out, but for peace of mind i need a backup plan. My boss doesnt take too kindly to my missing work plus I miss the shops in the city!

Have considered rehoming my jack Russell but even though hes 'insane' i couldnt do it to him! Got him from rescue and apparently he had a tough few years so feel protective.

Sorry for longwinded post, and misspellings-im using my mobile !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I live too far away to be of any use to you, but just wanted to say good for you for making such an effort to help - hope you manage to find a few people who could help you out more - best of luck:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

maggiepip wrote: »
    I live too far away to be of any use to you, but just wanted to say good for you for making such an effort to help - hope you manage to find a few people who could help you out more - best of luck:-)

Thanks for that. Its nice to have people not tell you to cop on or just ignore a stray:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I would suss out a good rescue in your area and do a bit of volunteering for them. That way you will build up a relationship with them and they may be in a position to help you out in the future.

I would also invest in a crate so if you do pick up another waif and stray at least you can keep your dogs separate and all will be safe when you cant supervise them.

Its nice to know people care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I donate to local rescue every few wks and have built up good relationship, however on a few occasions theyve been full and havent been able help me. Ive explained about my dilemma but they said they cant guarantee anything. Weekends and Christmas etc are the worst time for finding a stray as no vets and hard to find a foster. Im very soft , would a stray dog be upset if put in a crate even though no training or should i train my own psycho to stay in one? Does it take long to get them used to it?
    A foster home for a few nights would still be my preferred option- id pay upto 20 a night just for the peace of mind of knowing i had a fall back option
    Inexile wrote: »
    I would suss out a good rescue in your area and do a bit of volunteering for them. That way you will build up a relationship with them and they may be in a position to help you out in the future.

I would also invest in a crate so if you do pick up another waif and stray at least you can keep your dogs separate and all will be safe when you cant supervise them.

Its nice to know people care.

Advertisement