Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A|Wear Receivership - All questions here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'd imagine if the stores are closed then sales online won't be allowed to go through. I'd ring a head office number and ask, rather than risk trying it online and it maybe pre-authorising your card and then having to wait for a refund.

Edit- Just spotted the article which has '..deciding which stores will reopen tomorrow'. That sounds a bit more positive that online sales would not be halted, but ring them still. I thought it was a bad sign months ago when A-Wear Henry Street moved to a smaller outlet further down on Mary St..I'd say that will remain open and Grafton Street close.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone knows if AWear are honouring gift vouchers.Received a present of one recently and was hoping to wait until after I have my baby in early January BUT if I need to spend it ASAP I May gave to just buy some handbags and the like;)..Not in town too often so would have to take a trip..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't know the answer to this, but Ken Fennell of Kavanagh Fennell has been appointed receiver. They are the people who will decide that answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone knows if AWear are honouring gift vouchers.Received a present of one recently and was hoping to wait until after I have my baby in early January BUT if I need to spend it ASAP I May gave to just buy some handbags and the like;)..Not in town too often so would have to take a trip..

Not sure about honouring them or not but the stores are closed for the moment so you can't use it at least until they're opened. Not all stores it seems will reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts split out from old thread and merged with other A|Wear thread.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Does anyone know what the story is with deliveries from the online site. I ordered and paid for an item on Sunday with delivery to the Awear store in Castlebar.

Judging from a reply on they made to someone on their Facebook, it doesn't look as if they have the answers yet, but will at least know what's happening with stores etc. tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be able to also give answers about online orders etc. as well as vouchers then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

I bought a voucher for the girlfriend for christmas just 2 weeks ago. Why were management still selling vouchers, they knew full well what was happening. *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Why, oh why oh why are people still buying vouchers. Stick money in a card. Anyone that tells me this is rude can get lost and won't get another present from me. I got stung with Habitat (yes that long ago!) and never again.

Hopefully the receivers will honour them, but they may not a la HMV - who I suspect people are buying vouchers from again.

Any business can go under - vouchers will very near the bottom of the list of creditors under the guy who supplies the toilet rolls. Please stop buying them. If you must buy a voucher buy a gift-card for a particular shopping centre or a one for all voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deirdre doranwalsh

HI I bought a dress and jumper last week from awear which I sent back last week as they didn't fit.I haven't had a refund yet to my account and no one answering fone in their office. Will I get my refund, it was 80e?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭uli84

Bepolite wrote: »
    Why, oh why oh why are people still buying vouchers.

in my work they are given as "rewards"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

HI I bought a dress and jumper last week from awear which I sent back last week as they didn't fit.I haven't had a refund yet to my account and no one answering fone in their office. Will I get my refund, it was 80e?

maybe a claim back on your credit card for goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

uli84 wrote: »
    in my work they are given as "rewards"

There can be tax reasons for giving vouchers, so this is probably why they give them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/10-awear-stores-likely-to-reopen-29806331.html

vouchers issued from October 8th when A-Wear went into examinership will be honoured

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

Does anyone know what the story is with deliveries from the online site. I ordered and paid for an item on Sunday with delivery to the Awear store in Castlebar.

The castlebar store has reopened :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

The castlebar store has reopened :D

Thanks will give them a call tomorrow to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deirdre doranwalsh

Can any one please tell me about awear,s on line shop. I sent back clothes and they owe me nearly 80e. Why am i not being refunded my money, soooo angry

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Doots_em

Does anyone know if the Mahon Point Awear in Cork is reopening? Got a call last week that my online purchase had arrived for collection... The next day they had closed. Emailed receiver to see what the story was with uncollected purchases but got no reply :(

Can any one please tell me about awear,s on line shop. I sent back clothes and they owe me nearly 80e. Why am i not being refunded my money, soooo angry
    Doots_em wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Mahon Point Awear in Cork is reopening? Got a call last week that my online purchase had arrived for collection... The next day they had closed. Emailed receiver to see what the story was with uncollected purchases but got no reply :(

Initiate charge backs - I presume you paid by credit/debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Doots_em

I paid by Visa Debit card but when I contacted Ulster bank they told me the payment was processed and they can't do anything to get it back to my account. Does anyone know if this is correct? The guy I was talking too didn't even know what Awear was?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This is wrong unless you have a totally different set of T&C s on your card.

You need to get notice of the companies refusal to honour the gift voucher and then call the number on the back of the card and tell them you are getting a chargeback.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This is wrong unless you have a totally different set of T&C s on your card.

You need to get notice of the companies refusal to honour the gift voucher and then call the number on the back of the card and tell them you are getting a chargeback.

+1 although I think it's the VISA rules that allow charge backs rather than a bank per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Doots_em wrote: »
    I paid by Visa Debit card but when I contacted Ulster bank they told me the payment was processed and they can't do anything to get it back to my account. Does anyone know if this is correct? The guy I was talking too didn't even know what Awear was?!

There may be a time limit on debit card chargebacks i.e. if the voucher was purchased before a certain date the Bank might refuse to compensate you, but they should explain this to you.

Ring them again and quote this section from their website
    Free protection for your purchases

When using your Ulster Bank Visa Debit card to pay for goods/services and they fail to arrive or are damaged when you receive them we may be able to help you recover the payment. This protection includes purchases from companies that have gone into administration and purchases made using the internet, where the goods have not been received.

You must contact the retailer first to try and resolve the problem. If this is unsuccessful then please contact us on 1890 252 968

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/card/visa-debit.ashx

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Delighted to report that because my voucher was purchased after 8th October I was allowed to use it instore.:D
    They have a way of checking this on their tills.And they have some great offers on at the moment.I had a €30 voucher.Picked myself up 2 lovely scarves,a pair of furry gloves and a dress(reduced from €65to €10!)..Then at the till I found out the 20%sale was even off reduced items?I thought I'd spent my voucher but still have €6 left...
    If you have a voucher for there use it....we'll worth it..

mine gift card wasn't bought after 8th of october, what a ridiculous thing though:/

mine gift card wasn't bought after 8th of october, what a ridiculous thing though:/

It's great that they are offering to honour any at all. They have to pay banks, landlords, suppliers and staff first, gift vouchers are unsecured and are way down the list.

It's great that they are offering to honour any at all. They have to pay banks, landlords, suppliers and staff first, gift vouchers are unsecured and are way down the list.

They've gone into receivership, complicated by the fact that they are under administration in the UK and therefore are here too, rather than under Irish Law simpliciter. This doesn't mean they're not the same company that sold the gift vouchers in the first place, even if they've been sold. I have to disagree with the sentiment they are doing anything magnanimous here.

I'm afraid I simply don't know enough about it to give you an intelligent legal opinion (the charter precludes it any way), but I would get advice and make a complaint to the NCA. Perhaps nothing will come of it. Also I suggest writing to your local TD. It's about time voucher where legislated for.

who got the money for the gift card i bought in store then, it's not like i bought it from 3rd party, eh whatever

who got the money for the gift card i bought in store then, it's not like i bought it from 3rd party, eh whatever

I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to use it etc., just that others have to come first, and it all depends on how they can cope with the other demands. Sometimes people forget that the staff and others have to be looked after first, that's all.

Bepolite- I also meant that honouring some seemed to show a slightly healthier outlook for the company than were not they not able to honour any vouchers at all, but that wasn't clear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement