Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Really enjoyed your stories from the road TbL keep em coming. I looked forward to reading about running in faraway places over the last while…good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Well done indeed.

And welcome home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Ah welcome home! Alas you missed all the good running weather but sure you must be sick of the sun by now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Ah welcome home! Alas you missed all the good running weather but sure you must be sick of the sun by now:D

Thanks SfM,

Back in the PRC this evening, couldn't believe that there were hailstones on the way home!

The missus is giving out already coz I'm turning up the heat :)

It'll be weird to go back running on the bog road with only the sheep for company!

TbL

Haven't run a step since I got home, except for a bit of football in the garden with the young lad.

Was to do a LR today but put it off, this afternoon, then this evening and not now gonna do it till tomorrow, I think I'll regret that tomorrow!

Bit disappointed with the weight, I thought I was minding myself when I was away but I've a few pounds on and that's frustrating as I had a race weight in mind for the next outing and now I'll probably struggle to hit that.

Hope the ordered chin up bar accommodates the extra puddin :)

TbL

• Advertisement

I haven't run since last Thursday, 4 full days is the longest break from running since I was injured at Christmas. Don't know what to put this down to as I felt great after the confidence boosting run last Thursday and should have really pushed on from there.

Since I got home I seem to have been overcome with a severe case of lethargy and demotivation, and am also really pissed off with the weight I put on while away.

Anyway decided to head for my local route for an easy 6 miles to try and get back in the grove. It was great not to have to content with traffic, people, and camels! I didn't feel great at the start and was starting to imagine that my belly was wobbling around coz of the extra weight. Tried to get into a focused zone and tried to get some tunes going in my internal music system, however, as I was up early with the young lad watching Thomas the Tank Engine, I couldn't get the theme song out of my head. Eventually settled into some sort of rhythm and did 6 miles @ 7.42.

They're two, they're four, they're six and eight, shunting trucks and hauling freight, red and green and brown and blue...

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I haven't run since last Thursday, 4 full days is the longest break from running since I was injured at Christmas. Don't know what to put this down to as I felt great after the confidence boosting run last Thursday and should have really pushed on from there.

Since I got home I seem to have been overcome with a severe case of lethargy and demotivation, and am also really pissed off with the weight I put on while away.

Anyway decided to head for my local route for an easy 6 miles to try and get back in the grove. It was great not to have to content with traffic, people, and camels! I didn't feel great at the start and was starting to imagine that my belly was wobbling around coz of the extra weight. Tried to get into a focused zone and tried to get some tunes going in my internal music system, however, as I was up early with the young lad watching Thomas the Tank Engine, I couldn't get the theme song out of my head. Eventually settled into some sort of rhythm and did 6 miles @ 7.42.

They're two, they're four, they're six and eight, shunting trucks and hauling freight, red and green and brown and blue...

TbL

Any sign of the Fat Controller??? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Here's my favourite version:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Any sign of the Fat Controller??? :P

Touché Yaboya,

Not only are you running better and faster the wit and retorts are better and quicker too.

I won't be able to handle you at all if you go sub 3 :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Jasus lads those YouTube clips are lakes!

Think I'll wear one of those Snoop gold chains on my next LR :)

TbL

In a preemptive strike in the battle of the bulge and to ensure the belly fat doesn't start to sit too comfortably I decided to do another short easy run this evening. Lovely evening for it and I did 5.2 miles @ 7.36 average. I've noticed that my easy run pace has started to come down a good bit, (when I started logging here I wouldn't have considered 7.36 pace anywhere near easy) so maybe I need to dial it back a bit.

Ran tonight with MM (see above youtube clip) Thomas the Tank/Biggie Smalls tune rattling through my head. Com on motherfockers com on, cho cho :)

Hoping to do a challenging tempo run tomorrow that should tell me where I'm at!

TbL

Plan today was to do 7 x 3k reps at MP -15 seconds, 7.00mpm or 4.21 kpm, off 1k at MP + 60 seconds.

Set the Garmin up for metric under the units heading and after a short wu got stuck in. Did the first one comfortably under 4.15 average, but noticed the Garmin distance alert seemed to be beeping on the mile mark and not the km mark. This started fecking up the paces and I'd say I was doing the recovery k a lot slower than MP +60.

I was now trying to keep an eye on the watch for the rep splits and seemed to be running them in the range of 4.15- 4.25. I was starting to get tired and at the end of rep 6 I walked for about 400 metres, this was a mistake as I was unable to get going again and didn't finish the final rep. Did 26k in total.

Disappointed that I couldnt set the Garmin up right as it made the session harder than it should have been and also a little disappointed that I was struggling towards the end. Puts in perspective the challenge ahead if I'm ever to come close to sub 3.

TbL

Chin up TbL ( get it? :)) - how long have you got till your next target race?
    Maybe a week of nice and easy stuff to get your head back in the groove?

Duanington wrote: »
    Chin up TbL ( get it? :)) - how long have you got till your next target race?
    Maybe a week of nice and easy stuff to get your head back in the groove?

Tnx D,

Next race is Limerick on 4th May, hoping to get a 5k in before then. Also doing the Conn Marathon as part of a MP Long Run session. (Planning permission from the missus pending!)

What's next up for you?

TbL

Good stuff - you're some man for the races, fair play to you. So you've plenty of time to get sorted then if Limerick is the real focus. Far be it from me to advise you but I've found in the past that going back to basics ( i.e. easy running) for a few days can work wonders for the soul :D

I'll probably do the Great Ireland run in the PP in a couple of weeks but it will ( genuinely) be a tempo run on the day. Maynooth 10k is the next target race...middle of May ...and probably a 5k a week or so before hand

Was in Paris last night and today so didn't think I'd get a chance to get a run in.

I used to be in Paris a lot but haven't been there in a while, although it wouldn't be one of my favourite cities I always thought it had a vibrancy to it, this time however I felt the city was a bit dreary, decrepit and suffering from a collective sense of ennui.

Got taken to lunch in a traditional French restaurant " O Petite Riche", snails and all sorts of muck on the menu. Like a good Irish Bogger I stuck to the smoked fish and beef. One of the guys at the table had "tete de veau", which is a pot of bits of calf's head, brains and cheeks!!! If I was told I'd do a 2.50 in Limerick if I ate a pot of that tripe, I'd have to pass!

Managed to get an earlier flight into Dublin and got 4 slow easy miles in, along the prom in Galway. Happy to get it in, as although I'm not as old as that dolmen, Stazza :) the old body was giving out the whole way down in the car and the legs feel much better now.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

This log is wasted here when its obviously a travel blog.

Any jobs going in your company? :D

"In Paris...managed to get an early flight to Dublin....so went for 4 easy miles in Galway".....are you Bruce Wayne TbL?

ecoli wrote: »
    This log is wasted here when its obviously a travel blog.

Any jobs going in your company :D

It might sound nice but at this stage I despise airports and airplanes, to the extent that I don't even like travelling away for family holidays. I'm away again for 3 days next week and it really fecks up your routine so a running zealot like you wouldn't see out the probation period :)

I'll try and stick to running posts from now on!

TbL

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »
    "In Paris...managed to get an early flight to Dublin....so went for 4 easy miles in Galway".....are you Bruce Wayne TbL?

Hey D,

No but Gavlor thinks I'm Austin Powers, yeah baby!

16.30 fro Paris to Dublin arrived about 5.30 in Dublin, togged out and on the prom before 8, forty five min drive to Connemara, quick hello to the missus and logged on here, hmmmm, maybe I need to look at my priorities.

Got an e mail from work telling me that a parcel came for me from Amazon, so it's either the Kamasutra for the elderly or that flipping chin up bar, I think I'll struggle with either TBH :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Hey D,

No but Gavlor thinks I'm Austin Powers, yeah baby!

16.30 fro Paris to Dublin arrived about 5.30 in Dublin, togged out and on the prom before 8, forty five min drive to Connemara, quick hello to the missus and logged on here, hmmmm, maybe I need to look at my priorities.

Got an e mail from work telling me that a parcel came for me from Amazon, so it's either the Kamasutra for the elderly or that flipping chin up bar, I think I'll struggle with either TBH :)

TbL

If it's the Kamasutra for the elderly, when you've finished with it, fire it over to me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Stazza wrote: »
    If it's the Kamasutra for the elderly, when you've finished with it, fire it over to me :D

Don't forget AIS before and after!

Stazza wrote: »

Yep, sounds like you need it all right with all those premature Garmin spurts you've been experiencing lately :)

TbL

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Don't forget AIS before and after!

And I'll be doing Myrtle in between...I'm going to bed!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

This is a great log.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's like listening to two dirty senile granduncles having a chat over a whiskey :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Down with this sort of thing..............

Ran 8 miles, along local undulating route.

4 miles easy 4 miles tempo.

Tempo mile splits

5. 6.37
    6. 6.47
    7. 6.22
    8. 6.21

In travel related news...

TbL

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    It's like listening to two dirty senile granduncles having a chat over a whiskey :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/Statler_and_Waldorf.jpg

TbL

Advertisement