Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Program called for 7 miles easy with strides.

Ran this in glorious evening sunshine over the usual local route.

Ran it with the brother in law, and the bitchin about his sister took my mind of the niggles :)

Did the 7 miles nice and easy @ 8.12 pace followed by a few strides. Only did 3, instead of 6, in deference to the remaining niggles!

Felt better than yesterday, when I finished, so hopefully the barge is moving in the right direction.

Missus and eldest daughter have abandoned me till Sunday, there're in London at 1 Direction, so might be hard to get the sessions in.

Does anyone know how to boil an egg:)

TbL

You will be luck she comes back if you don't stop complaining! Bring the other 2 to the pitch with you and run around that, see what I have to do while you are gallivanting from Canada to Casablanca;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

SamforMayo wrote: »
    You will be luck she comes back if you don't stop complaining! Bring the other 2 to the pitch with you and run around that, see what I have to do while you are gallivanting from Canada to Casablanca;)

You bring TbLs kids out to the pitch while hes away??

Don't worry TbL, they can last without food for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You bring TbLs kids out to the pitch while hes away??

Don't worry TbL, they can last without food for a few days.

And if the Auld King would look after my queen while I'm away then I'd be all sorted :)

TbL

And if the Auld King would look after my queen while I'm away then I'd be all sorted :)

TbL

The master of out sourcing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

This log is nuts!

Beef wrote: »
    This log is nuts!

Never a truer word spoken.

Yesterday: program called for a 3 mile recovery run, a combination of a very busy day at work and looking after the kids, meant I didn't get out.

Today: program called for 8 miles steady. Couldn't get anyone to look after the two young lads so sorted to ringing up babysitters, 3 refusals before I landed one [not sure she'll come back though :)]

Took full advantage and headed into Galway to run this, [wanted to get a swim in the gym pool when I was finished].

Nice enough weather but it seemed to veer from hot sunny spells to downpours.

Decided to pony up another hour for the babysitter and sat in the jacuzzi for 30 mins after the run and swim. Still not running completely freely and did some stretches and foam rolling when finished, not as stiff/sore as the other days so hopefully back to 100% soon.

Bought some fancy pre cooked dinners in a pantry place on the way home, two lads turned up their noses at them and ended up with another pizza.

I'll dothe Sunday roast on the BBQ tomorrow:)

Splits:

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I'll dothe Sunday roast on the BBQ tomorrow:)

Nothing say's dad's cooking like takeaways and BBQs :D

The emergency services will be on stand by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Nothing brings emergency services quicker than a half microwaved chicken breast.

Yesterday: missus didn't get back from London till late so I didn't get to do the planned 12 miles easy.didnt need the emergency services either :)

Today: was supposed to be a rest day but decided to do as much of yesterday's session as I could. Didn't get the 12 in but managed 11.5, on my local rolling route @ 7.59 pace. Probably a tad too fast but the last 6 miles were the most comfortable I've run in weeks so hopefully the niggles are almost gone. Off to London for a couple of days tomorrow and hopefully it won't effect my plan for the week to much.

18 and a bit weeks to Amsterdam!

TbL

Today: program called for 6 miles easy with strides. Am in London, staying near Heathrow tonight. After checking into the hotel I got the gear on and headed up the Bath Road, towards Hounslow. Planes were coming in to land right overhead every couple of minutes, the noise was incredible, I don't know how people can sleep through that racket!

The running route wasn't exactly scenic (I must have passed 20/30 fast food joints in the first mile) and the surface wasn't great either, hard concrete that was uneven in places. On the way back I took a bit of a detour, trying to find a place to do the strides, I came across a small park and did 6 ugly strides there. I don't know what it is about strides but I get a bit self conscious doing them, I really need to keep at them and try and improve the style/form. Ugly or not I was happy to have them done and I ran the same route back to the hotel. All in 6.5 miles @ 8.10 plus the strides.

Am staying in Hammersmith tomorrow so hopefully I'll find a better running route.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Today: program called for 6 miles easy with strides. Am in London, staying near Heathrow tonight. After checking into the hotel I got the gear on and headed up the Bath Road, towards Hounslow. Planes were coming in to land right overhead every couple of minutes, the noise was incredible, I don't know how people can sleep through that racket!

The running route wasn't exactly scenic (I must have passed 20/30 fast food joints in the first mile) and the surface wasn't great either, hard concrete that was uneven in places. On the way back I took a bit of a detour, trying to find a place to do the strides, I came across a small park and did 6 ugly strides there. I don't know what it is about strides but I get a bit self conscious doing them, I really need to keep at them and try and improve the style/form. Ugly or not I was happy to have them done and I ran the same route back to the hotel. All in 6.5 miles @ 8.10 plus the strides.

Am staying in Hammersmith tomorrow so hopefully I'll find a better running route.

TbL

I concur with your thoughts on Hounslow. Lived there for a summer back in the day. It was the prettiest ( bit like your strides :D) spot then and obviously hasn't improved since. I guess it won't appear in TbLs '10 places to see before die'..... due out any day soon I expect.

Today: program called for 6 miles steady. Got a gentle reminder from Coach that steady pace for this phase is 7.40.

Another long day in work, luckily I didn't have to travel through Central London as a taxi demonstration (against the lack of regulation of Uber the taxi app, that poses a threat to the black cabs livelihood apparently) caused massive disruption in the centre. Staying in a chain warehouse hotel in Hammersmith, and it was close to 9 before I got out. Headed up the Hammersmith road towards Hyde Park, on ****ty concrete paths again (have I mentioned that I feckin hate concrete paths). It got a little congested on the path near South Kensington and I had to do some weaving to avoid the pedestrians. Got to the park, it's really nice to run inside it, the last few times I've stayed around there it was winter and it's locked up in the evenings so I had to make do with running around its perimeter. It's a nice running area and there were a good few others out doing their thing. Enjoyed the couple of miles in the park. For once my sense of direction didn't fail me and I exited the correct gate and ran back to the hotel. 6 miles steady @ 7.33

Splits:

Off to do some auld man touch your toes type of stretches!

TbL

Program today called for 6 miles easy with strides and tomorrow's session was to be a 3 mile recovery run.

Early start in London meant I couldn't get this done this morning so I put it off till this evening. I landed at Shannon around 9.30 this evening and the motivation to go out and run was at rock bottom. I had planned to drive to Galway and do the 6 miles around the prom, but the way I was feeling I knew once I hit Galway I'd keep going and can the session.

Drove the short distance from the airport to the Shannon Oaks hotel car park, quick change into the gear and did tomorrow's 3 miles recovery run around some local estates.

3 miles @ 8.51

TbL

• Advertisement

Having switched yesterday's session to today, I switched today's with tomorrow's!

Was to do 6 miles easy with strides today and 7 miles easy tomorrow.

Got a deep massage today and was a bit battered afterwards so decided to not do the session with strides. My collection of niggles seems to be down to one now, but it's proving stubborn to shift. Have another massage booked for next week.

Dropped my eldest off to a girls GAA blitz and headed off along the shoreline in the beautiful evening sun, did 7.2 miles easy @ 8.20.

Off to do some auld man clam exercises!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I'm sending my healing charms your way ;):D

Today: I was to do 6 miles with strides

Got nabbed this morning to dig up part of the garden for a feckin vegetable patch, what's wrong with Aldi's organic vegetables! After that I had to play a World Cup match with the middle fella, that I lost in a penalty shoot out. Then I had to pitch a tent that was bought in Argos with the worst set of instructions I've ever seen, took me ages and I'm not convinced its up right. The two eldest are currently out sleeping the night in it, the missus is insisting that I go out and sleep with them later, just in case they are snatched by the wild Connemara dingo perhaps!

Anyway got the 6 miles in over the local rolling route but it was a tired run and I again canned the strides as I have a tougher session tomorrow. 6 miles @ 8.33.

Off to find a sleeping bag.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Mind the taibhse now!!

Today: program called for 9 miles, 1 MPM, 1 steady, 1 MPM, 1 steady, etc.

Tang must have put a hex on the tent as the kids came back into the house around half time in the England v. Italy match. At least I got a half ðecent nights sleep!

The sun was out in all it's glory this morning so I decided to do the session later this evening when it was cooler. Around lunchtime it started to get cloudy and I decided to make the most of it and headed out to get the session done.

Ran around Rossaveal as it's a bit flatter than my usual route, but still have a few small inclines. It was very warm out there and I was sweating buckets.

Did half mile wu/cd and alternate MPM and steady miles. Splits;

Had to work hard on the last mile and the session wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be.

Anyway it's done and I'm off to flame grill a bovine carcass on the barbie!

TbL

50 mile week first since Limerick training block.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Today: program called for 9 miles, 1 MPM, 1 steady, 1 MPM, 1 steady, etc.

Tang must have put a hex on the tent as the kids came back into the house around half time in the England v. Italy match. At least I got a half ðecent nights sleep!

The sun was out in all it's glory this morning so I decided to do the session later this evening when it was cooler. Around lunchtime it started to get cloudy and I decided to make the most of it and headed out to get the session done.

Ran around Rossaveal as it's a bit flatter than my usual route, but still have a few small inclines. It was very warm out there and I was sweating buckets.

Did half mile wu/cd and alternate MPM and steady miles. Splits;

Had to work hard on the last mile and the session wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be.

Anyway it's done and I'm off to flame grill a bovine carcass on the barbie!

TbL

50 mile week first since Limerick training block.

Many is the happy summer i spent in Ros A Mhil, have never ran around there though. Something i must rectify.

tang1 wrote: »
    Many is the happy summer i spent in Ros A Mhil, have never ran around there though. Something i must rectify.

Absolutely beautiful when the sun shines. Can't beat Connemara in the sun.

If you're ever in the area Tang give me a shout for a run. I can put you in my little black book of running dates :)

TbL

Monday: was in London, hotel I was staying in was literally surrounded by motorways and flyovers, didn't even look safe to attempt a run so I didn't.

Tue: program called for 6 miles easy with strides. I missed my flight back to Dublin and ended up getting the last flight in. Had a very long day so didn't run.

Wed: program called for "X". A mystery session in Tymon Pk. Great place for a run and the weather was cracking. Coach told me it was gonna be 4/5 mile progression reps. (if I'd known that I'd have called in sick :) ) Didn't think I was in any decent shape to do this and I had forgotten my Garmin (turned out to be a blessing in disguise). Set off on a slow 2 mile warm up on the grass and finished with an slower 1.5 mile cool down. I found it hard on the latter part of the reps but seemed to recover fairly quickly off the 3 mins recovery. It was also great to just concentrate on pacing off someone and not have to continuously be checking my own pace. By the end the sweat was coming off me like water off a sheep dog after a swim.

Niggle is also improving which is great and felt quite good today.

Only did 4 reps though, splits;

TbL

Was in London again today, got back into Dublin late. Got to the hotel and couldn't face the planned 3 mile recovery run. Felt a bit guilty as I'd missed Mon & Tue already so put on some smelly gear and hit the small ****ty gym and rickety old threadmill. I hate the focking threadmill more than concrete, should have gone outside!

Legs felt ok, head in bits, 3 mind numbing miles at 11 min average pace!!!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Late night treadmill discipline. Fair play - better than nothing.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Late night treadmill discipline. Fair play - better than nothing.
    a0fa7t.jpg

Ha ha C_M seems like that lately alright!!

Although my running gear wouldn't be that stylish :)

TbL

Well that was a shockingly poor session, that has brought me down to earth with a bang!

Program called for 2 mile wu/cd with 4 miles at HMP. I had in mind a HMP of 6.30 for this training cycle, I thought it would be a stretch for the first part of the cycle but not unrealistic.

I need to start copping on and stop mitching off on the strides and also need to start getting mentally tougher, as I had myself psyched out before the start, telling myself that sure 6.40 average would be grand (and as it transpired it would have been).

Headed out to Rossaveal route again, slight inclines, bit of wind and lots of excuses!

8 miles total.

Splits for the supposed HMP;

6.55 (mother of sweet merciful Jesus!)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Chin up, happens to us all TbL.
    Any idea what went wrong? Just a bad day? Did you go out too hard? Do you think you're aiming too high for current level of fitness? etc.

How did you feel before and afterwards?

cianc wrote: »
    Chin up, happens to us all TbL.
    Any idea what went wrong? Just a bad day? Did you go out too hard? Do you think you're aiming too high for current level of fitness? etc.

How did you feel before and afterwards?

Cheers Cian,

Haven't done a whole lot of faster stuff over last 2 months, only getting back into it. Very frustrating as I ran a 6.33 mile at mile 21 or 22 in Limerick marathon. Should have listened to the coach re the importance of strides, think the body was in a bit of shock having to run at that pace over a couple of miles, so your last point is probably on the money, aiming too high for current level of (speed) fitness. Notwithstanding that I was pretty shocked that I couldn't manage a 6.45 average. Felt good before and after and recovered well, so no excuses there.

I've 16 weeks to go to Amsterdam so it's a good wake up call.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well that was a shockingly poor session, that has brought me down to earth with a bang!

Program called for 2 mile wu/cd with 4 miles at HMP. I had in mind a HMP of 6.30 for this training cycle, I thought it would be a stretch for the first part of the cycle but not unrealistic.

I need to start copping on and stop mitching off on the strides and also need to start getting mentally tougher, as I had myself psyched out before the start, telling myself that sure 6.40 average would be grand (and as it transpired it would have been).

Headed out to Rossaveal route again, slight inclines, bit of wind and lots of excuses!

8 miles total.

Splits for the supposed HMP;

6.55 (mother of sweet merciful Jesus!)

TbL

I had a similar experience with my first HMP session of this cycle. Only different was I only aimed for 6:50/7:00 for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. 3 weeks later when I was more settled into the plan pushing/holding the pace was a much "easier" job. Wouldn't worry to much about one bad day....you have 112 more to make up for it:)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I had a similar experience with my first HMP session of this cycle. Only different was I only aimed for 6:50/7:00 for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. 3 weeks later when I was more settled into the plan pushing/holding the pace was a much "easier" job. Wouldn't worry to much about one bad day....you have 112 more to make up for it:)

Tnx FBOT,

24 hours later and a chat with Coach and I've put it behind me.

I've never before had so much done 16 weeks out from a target marathon and it great having someone to bounce stuff off.

TbL

Program called for 14 miles easy.

Spent the morning cutting hedges and this afternoon had a rare opportunity to spend some time with Mrs TbL, as my sister "volunteered" to take our 3 kids for the afternoon.

Typical, no kids and time to spare, we went into town and ended up wondering what to do, after a nice bite to eat, we ended up shopping for tools in B&Q :)

Got thrown out of the car on the way back, 14 miles from the house.

Nice comfortable run with a steady effort the whole way. A couple of nasty hills in the last 2 miles so the pace dropped down but effort stayed the same.

Have started practicing relaxing the shoulders when running as my shoulders are up around my ears lately, like a garden gnome with a rod on a toadstool!

14 miles @ 7.56.

Splits;

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice going TBL - tough weather for those long slogs

Tnx D,

Back to what I'm good at, ploddin :)

Just come back from you're page, great tempo run, the improvement in a couple of months is fantastic.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

What's the target in Amsterdam TbL? Sub 3?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    What's the target in Amsterdam TbL? Sub 3?

Nah P,

Don't think I'm suited to big jumps in PB. 3.03 - 3.05 and then back to Seville for the sub 3 :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Got thrown out of the car on the way back, 14 miles from the house.

Nice comfortable run with a steady effort the whole way. A couple of nasty hills in the last 2 miles so the pace dropped down but effort stayed the same.

I'm not too sure which side of Seanadh Phéistín you're on, but I hope this run wasn't on the N59 :eek:

Monday: scheduled rest day

Today: program called for 7 miles easy.

Was in London again yesterday evening and today. Landed in Shannon after 9pm and was pretty tired but was looking forward to getting out as I had arranged a run with Bulmers74. The last time I had seen him he was wearing a black plastic bag and was chasing me down the street around mile 20 at the Limerick marathon so I wasn't sure I'd recognise him but we hooked up no problems. We drove to the Shannon Oaks hotel car park. Quick change into the gear and we were off. Bulmers had a nice quiet route planned out (much nicer that my previous run down there where I ended up doing laps of housing estates!) and the miles ticked by nicely as we chatted. Maybe it was the company but it was the first run in weeks were I seemed to run niggle free.

Delighted to get that done as I probably would have struggled to motivate myself to run if I was running solo.

Tnx Bulmers, really enjoyed that and hopefully I can return the favour when you're in Galway.

7.64 mile @ 8.05

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

That little black book of sluts running buddies
    must be getting fairly full by now TbL :D:D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    That little black book of sluts running buddies
    must be getting fairly full by now TbL :D:D

Ha ha Martyboy, as the telly ads ask after midnight "you looking for fun"?

I hear you're Galway based and I only date outoftowners :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

That's where things get complicated. Rule #1 Don't sh1t on
    your own doorstep :D:D

It's OK though, you're not my type :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Cheers TbL - have to say I really enjoyed the run too.

@ Martyboy - I was explaining to TbL that I'll be in Salthill on holidays in a few weeks if you fancy meeting up & getting in on the (running) action :D

Here lads. Seriously. Get a room :eek:

Program today called for 2 mile wu/cd 14 x 400's (200m strides with 200m jog)

Had to shorten the wu/cd down to 1.7m & 1.5m respectively, as I did this at lunch time. Did the wu/cd on grass pitches which made a nice change.

Headed to the track for the 400's, usually the track fills me with dread as I know it's gonna hurt, but I enjoyed this session. Concentrated on running form rather than speed, especially towards the end.

Two days in a row almost completely niggle free was a significant bonus, so yesterday wasn't just the Bulmers effect!

Splits for the faster 200's; 41,42,42,43,42,43,42,42,40,43,41,44,42,40.

Things seem to be going in the right direction, so happy out.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nice session TbL.
    Very consistent splits.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Nice session TbL.
    Very consistent splits.

Cheers P,

Been a long time since I enjoyed a session.

Looking at your log with envy lately with the savage sessions you've been churning out. Expecting big things from you in Berlin, maybe not as much from the two auld lads, Statler and Waldorf :)

TbL

Monday: scheduled rest day

Today: program called for 7 miles easy.

Was in London again yesterday evening and today. Landed in Shannon after 9pm and was pretty tired but was looking forward to getting out as I had arranged a run with Bulmers74. The last time I had seen him he was wearing a black plastic bag and was chasing me down the street around mile 20 at the Limerick marathon so I wasn't sure I'd recognise him but we hooked up no problems. We drove to the Shannon Oaks hotel car park. Quick change into the gear and we were off. Bulmers had a nice quiet route planned out (much nicer that my previous run down there where I ended up doing laps of housing estates!) and the miles ticked by nicely as we chatted. Maybe it was the company but it was the first run in weeks were I seemed to run niggle free.

Delighted to get that done as I probably would have struggled to motivate myself to run if I was running solo.

Tnx Bulmers, really enjoyed that and hopefully I can return the favour when you're in Galway.

7.64 mile @ 8.05

TbL

Were you never warned about getting into cars with strange men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great session TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Cheers P,

Been a long time since I enjoyed a session.

Looking at your log with envy lately with the savage sessions you've been churning out. Expecting big things from you in Berlin, maybe not as much from the two auld lads, Statler and Waldorf :)

TbL

Did you ever here the one about the young bull and the auld bull ;)

PS I am expecting a lot more from the youngfella too.....he should be leaving us Auldfellas in his dust on the big day. We will be happy just to finish. 26.2 miles is a long way at our age you know :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement