Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wouldn't call myself a cool person but yes, I'm familiar with that workout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

good work in Achill, that's a tidy session right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Plan called for another Nursing Home special.

Arrived in the hotel in Dublin just before 10pm, didn't fancy the thought of the threadmill so got into the gear and did 3 miles up the canal in Dublins "fresh" air.

3 miles in just under 10 min pace.

TbL

Decided after a chat with the coach to try and find a race this week to get a hard effort in before I disappear on hols.

Can't race this weekend so looked around for something mid week and saw a 10k in Ballina, so entered it on the off chance that my meeting in Dublin would finish in time to allow me to drive across for the 7pm start.

Got down with a few mins to spare, collected my number, changed in the car and headed for the start. It was a nice warm evening but there was a good stiff breeze blowing. Wouldn't know Ballina from Bangladesh, so had no idea what to expect route wise but I had a sub 40 effort in my head.

Little congested at the start but settled in ok, very quickly realised that this was definitely not a PB course as there was plenty of hills and long drags. There must have been almost a mile of continuos drag around the 2-3 miles section with the breeze directly into our faces. Very tough section that seemed to drain me a bit. Also ran the vast majority of this on my own, kinda surprised by this as a fat lad like me would have provided considerable drafting cover!

Happy with the effort but not the time, started the Garmin early by mistake so don't know yet what the exact time was, probably around 40.40. Spoke to a lad at the end who had finished just ahead of me and he said its a horrible course that adds about 90 seconds to a PB course effort. Don't know about that but I definitely feel like I'm in sub 40 shape at the moment.

Got back to the car and had a text message for the Berlin bound troupe, Two and a Half Men, (Statler, Waldorf and Yaboya), it was a group selfie from some golf course. It made me laugh.

Yaboya did the two auld lads get warnings for slow play :)

Splits;

6.19 (the last bit)

Not a great time but a decent session and at this stage I'll happily take take, as I've been told the times will come.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Plenty of legs left in the old dog yet!! Savage time just running a 10k off the bat.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Plenty of legs left in the old dog yet!! Savage time just running a 10k off the bat.

Tnx Tang,

Over 5 hours in the car for a 10k, Mrs TbL thinks it's more Mad Dog...

TbL

Looks like I came 15th out of 200 and 2nd in M40. ( don't appear to have a M45 category)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Tnx Tang,

TbL

The 5hrs in the car make it more impressive, if your traveling from Dublin tomorrow evening, nice flat 5k in Kinnegad at 8pm you could do!!

tang1 wrote: »
    The 5hrs in the car make it more impressive, if your traveling from Dublin tomorrow evening, nice flat 5k in Kinnegad at 8pm you could do!!

Thanks Tang,

Would love to do that but I'm back in Connemara and I'd never get planning for that. Besides I've a date with Bulmers74 either tomorrow or Thursday :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Tnx Tang,

TbL

I'd be inclinded to agree with her to be honest. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Looks like I came 15th out of 200 and 2nd in M40. ( don't appear to have a M45 category)

TbL

They shoot them here once they pass 45! There are a few long drags on that route, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice session TbL and with a 5 hr drive to get there. FairPlay!

Program called for a 3 mile recovery.

Ran with the brother in law after work, nice and easy, ended up doing 5.3 miles at just under 9 min pace. Legs felt good.

Off to find my good running gear as I'm hooking up with Bulmers74 for a few miles tomorrow.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Off to find my good running gear as I'm hooking up with Bulmers74 for a few miles tomorrow.

TbL

Don't go showing too much flesh ...... wouldn't want him to think you were easy!

What were you wearing yesterday at 10 km? I was looking at the pics on runmayorun and trying to guess which one is you!

Don't go showing too much flesh ...... wouldn't want him to think you were easy!

Ha ha CM, it's our second outing so I'll be wearing the 4" shorts with the racing splits :)

TbL

SamforMayo wrote: »
    What were you wearing yesterday at 10 km? I was looking at the pics on runmayorun and trying to guess which one is you!

I'd my mankini on SfM, they probably photo shopped me!

I was wearing a white tee shirt, must check out that site, I'd be the one with the arse going one way and the belly the other.

TbL

I'd my mankini on SfM, they probably photo shopped me!

I was wearing a white tee shirt, must check out that site, I'd be the one with the arse going one way and the belly the other.

TbL

127?

007!

Yep

007!

Yep

Well you are not heavy at all! I was guessing cause I knew a few ahead of you and roughly the times they would be doing!

• Advertisement

At least a stone and a half, off optimal marathon racing weight, SfM.

TbL

At least a stone and a half, off optimal marathon racing weight, SfM.

TbL

You hide it well, wear that outfit for your running date, it's very slimming!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

You hide it well, wear that outfit for your running date, it's very slimming!

Only if it has been washed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Whats going on here.. Bulmers74, did our run mean nothing to you :D:D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Whats going on here.. Bulmers74, did our run mean nothing to you :D:D

Ya know yourself have to keep the sugar Daddy happy :D

Yesterday: due to a combination of factors it was impossible to get the planned 8 miles easy done.

Today: as we're heading of on holidays this weekend I decided to try and get the LR in today. Bulmers74 was around and after a bit of "I can't come out tonight coz I'm drying my hair" we rescheduled our date to early this morning. Having put on the freshly washed clobber we met up on the prom in Salthill just after 6. It was a grand morning for a run with a bit of mist and a small bit of drizzle. We planned on doing 17 or 18 and we headed out towards Barna up and around Furbo and back in.

Should have brought him to do a couple of laps of some of the housing estates as he's a fellow Bogger this wasn't much of a variant compared to his local route!

Really enjoyable run and great to get it done so early in the morning. Coz I got a bit lost I ended up doing 19.5 and Bulmers ran on to do close to the 20 I'd say. Bulmers don't forget to change that Garmin from the head melting alert after every half mile!

@Martyboy, I mentioned to Bulmers that we should invite you on the run but he said not too bother as he'd run a few days previously with you and he said he barely broke a sweat. He advised me, that if I ended up running with you to bring warm clothes :) if it wasn't a bit competitive between ye for DCM it should be now :)

Splits:

TbL

Delighted to get that run done too ahead of the weekend & enjoyed the company. Watch was at 19.9 when I got back to where I was staying so had to round it up to 20. Although I was only planning 16 was comfortable going on my furthest run since DCM on a not so flat route :)
    BTW just changed the 1/2 mile lap off the watch :o
    Marty don't mind the lad with the big spoon - there's a b in his username for a reason;)

Enjoy the hols TbL

Bulmers -You cant run with the hare and chase with the hound you know. You will have to pick one.

Bulmers -You cant run with the hare and chase with the hound you know. You will have to pick one.

Multiple partners are all the rage;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

#itscomplicated

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Multiple partners are all the rage;)
    Well as my Grandmother used to say "There will be great fun and games until someone gets their eye knocked out."

Was a bit stiff when I got up this morning after my session with Bulmers yesterday :)

Plan had called for me to do a 5 x 1k session this weekend and I wanted to do it tomorrow. We are heading off on holidays tomorrow for a couple of weeks and the missus said that she wanted to leave earlier than I had planned so that ruled out tomorrow.

Headed into the track in Galway this afternoon to try and get it done. Session was 5 x 1k at 3.40-3.45 pace off 3 mins recovery.

After a mile warm up and a few auld man stretches to try and get the stiffness out of the legs I got going. The last bit of each rep was tough but I recovered quickly between the first couple of reps. On the fourth rep the legs started to go, on the fifth the lungs started to go as well and if I had to do a sixth the head would have gone too!!

Tough enough session but happy enough especially after doing 19.5 miles yesterday.

Splits;

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Happy holidays! I trust you're packing your runners.

Ferris B wrote: »
    Happy holidays! I trust you're packing your runners.

Cheers Waldorf,

Last minute packing checklist in the morning

- passport
    - credit card
    - runners
    - kids

Enjoy the golf!

TbL

Cheers Waldorf,

Last minute packing checklist in the morning

- passport
    - credit card
    - runners
    - kids

Enjoy the golf!

TbL

Wife

• Advertisement

Wife

She'll be attached to the credit card :)

TbL

She'll be attached to the credit card :)

TbL
    A woman after my own heart. Have a lovely break. Hope the chin bar is in the case too.

Today: there was a run organised by the resort I'm staying in for 9am today. Decided I'd tag along to get a few miles in as I haven't run since the track session on Saturday.

It was very sunny and warm even at that time of the morning and a group of about 7 turned up. Headed down to Salou prom for a couple of miles hitting a batch of steps before turning back. Decided to try a sub 7 mile to see how the legs were, legs were fine but the heat really affected me and I was like a moving leaky bucket with sweat flying everywhere. Did a 6.5x mile but had to rein it in before the head exploded.

All in a hot and sweaty 7.1 miles at @ 8.22.

If I'm going to get any sort of speed work in I'll have to get up a good but earlier.

I'm a lazy fecker on holidays, so we'll see!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

are you even resident in Ireland for tax purposes ?!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Today: there was a run organised by the resort I'm staying in for 9am today. Decided I'd tag along to get a few miles in as I haven't run since the track session on Saturday.

It was very sunny and warm even at that time of the morning and a group of about 7 turned up. Headed down to Salou prom for a coi

Have you been abducted and bundled into the back of a van?

• Advertisement

statss wrote: »
    are you even resident in Ireland for tax purposes ?!!!

Must look into that Statss, I'd probably qualify, but what's tax :)

TbL

Beef wrote: »
    Have you been abducted and bundled into the back of a van?

Ha ha Beef, my dehydrated fat fingers hit the wrong button!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Cant believe your pesky coach gave you running homework for your holidays!!

Didn't see him running on his holliers.

Cant believe your pesky coach gave you running homework for your holidays!!

Didn't see him running on his holliers.

Ha ha AMK, the missus asked "when was I taking a running holiday" and I said "now that sounds like a great idea!".

Q all picture and no sound for the next hour :)

TbL

Was chatting to a Northy lad yesterday (he's training for DCM) and we decided we'd head out and do a run this morning as the organised run is only done 3 days a week.

Did the same route this morning, it was very hot again and the steps seemed a lot tougher today.

Again it was very hot and sunny and I think I'll have to do the sessions on the treadmill as I'm not cut out for running in this heat.

All in another 7.10 miles @ 8.52 but that included an 11 min mile on the steps section.

Off to climb into the ice cream cabinet for the afternoon.

TbL

Out with the organised run this morning, I was pretty wrecked and definitely wouldn't have hauled my ass out of the bed if I was heading out on my own.

This time they headed off in the other direction, towards Cambrils and there was a bit more shade on the route and no steps to contend with. Hot again today and it's heading for 30* this weekend!

A different guy was leading the run today and he brought us back to the gym for some apprentice contortionist classes, I just sat on the mat dripping wet, doing some auld man figure of 3 and a half periformus stretches!

All in just under 7 miles @ 8.01, threw in a few feeble surges along the way to keep the legs honest.

Gotta go, I hear the man with the 99 ice cream van coming, he seems to be around ours on the hour every hour :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff. All this holiday running will stand to you in the end, no doubt about it.

Today: instead of the organised run the resort had organised a family fitness day starting with a couple of races. They had three categories, adults, teenagers and kiddies, unfortunately no auld man classification.

They had put a lot of effort into it and had arrows on the route with taped off sections to ensure you stayed on the route. They even gave us numbers! It was billed as a 4k, two laps around the resort. Around 20 started the adults race.

There was a bit of cloud cover but it was very hot and my mouth was very dry.

Settled in with the lead group for the first half k and then upped the pace a bit, my momentary lead was short lived as a tall skinny Spanish lad in a running club vest sped by me and a Scottish guy arrived on my shoulder. Tried to up it a bit again to see if the Vest was a one shot wonder but he was disappearing fast, so I concentrated on trying to shake off the Scottish lad. Eventually shook him off with about a k to go. Finished a holiday resort fun run in second and I'm writing about it, how feckin sad is that!

Anyway it was a bit of craic but it was a bit short of 4k (Garmin measured 2.4 miles) and I won't be back next year as if they can't get the basics right...:)

Happy enough to get a small bit of speed work in and I'll hit the gym tomorrow to try a tempo session.

Splits 6.30, 6.07, & last bit 5.54.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Congrats on another podium finish but you know in fairness, if you insist on going in the kiddies race you really should be winning it :D

Congrats on another podium finish but you know in fairness, if you insist on going in the kiddies race you really should be winning it :D

Hah Ha, CM,

Maybe next week if they hold another one.

The winner got a coke and crisps, I got questioned by the Guardia Civil :)

TbL

• Advertisement
Advertisement