Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

3rd consecutive week on plan.

Bit of a strange week as I had to babysit the calf the whole way through.

Mon: plan was for 40 min progression. Had a sports massage early morning and the body felt very fragile. Was at work so headed to Dangan around lunchtime to get this done. The calf was pinging a fair bit so I put on the compression socks and started gently. Had to stop periodically to stretch the calf but got around.

5.13m @ 8.05

Tue: plan was for 20 mins very easy. Headed up to the pitch to get this done, calf was tighter than a post plastic surgery Jane Fonda jowl :) Very very easy NHS @ 10.08

Wed: plan had me down for a session but I was in with the physioterriost with **** elbow. I’ll need an arm brace (you can borrow it when I’m done B!). She also needled my shoulders and calf! Told me no running for at least 24 hours and gave me a simple stretch/test that I needed to complete before being allowed run.

Thur: met up with my work buddy for our weekly 10k, I’d planned on incorporating the missed session into this run but as soon as I started I knew it wasn’t on and the goal was to just get around. Had a hot Epsom salt bath than almost blanched me!

6.26 @ 8.01.

Fri: plan was for a glute session but went up to the pitch to try and do Wednesdays missed session done.

Wu/cd with 8 x 1 min @ 6.40 off 90 seconds.

Did a longer than usual warm up and stopped after every wu lap to stretch the calf. Once I got going it was ok and I ended up doing an extra one coz I couldn’t count!

Splits 6.30,6.27,6.27,6.30,6.27,6.32,6.41,6.40, 6.23

Faster than it should have been but hard to get it right over a minute.

Started back with some short basic core.

Sat: plan was for 30 mins with strides.

Mrs TbL forced me to go out and weed the garden, I tried to pull the **** elbow excuse but she threatened to make a kebab outta me with the hoe so I got 3 hours cross training and pulled everything in sight :)

Calf very tight again, so just plodded around the local pitch like a big air sock in the wind and didn’t bother with the strides.

Another very short core routine in the pm.

Sun: plan was for wu/cd with 10 x 2 mins @ 7.05 off 60 seconds. Slept in compression socks and used up the battery on the Thera gun trying to loosen up the calf! My trail of gardening destruction obviously didn’t put her off sufficiently as she sent me back out today :(

Went up to the local GA pitch for this, there were a few people up there kicking a ball around and I did my usual stupid thing of trying to retain my image as the village running man and every bloody rep started too quickly!!! The wind also made pacing difficult.

Just over 6 miles, splits, 6.52,6.54,6.59,6.52,6.54,6.54,6.58,6.56,7.03 & 6.50..

27.5 miles for the week and a garden that looks like a dogs dinner!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Something we have in common...starting reps too fast! I'm constantly getting told off for it:eek:

Something we have in common...starting reps too fast! I'm constantly getting told off for it:eek:

:)

Don’t know whether it’s subconscious attempted showboating, over exuberance or stupidity.

Probably a combination of all 3 for me, you’d think I’d know better at my age!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Hey J how are things, you still tipping along?

TbL

All good here thanks. Yes still tipping along. Resurrecting the log is on my to do list for this week!!! :D Just have to log in a bit more often to keep up.

Another week on plan and despite babysitting a dodgy calf all week I managed to get all the planned runs done.

Very happy with how the running is going but I’m disappointed with the cross training and S&C, which has been virtually non existent since I’ve comeback running. Seems like I’ve a mental block with multitasking and despite the **** elbow I really need to be more disciplined :(

Instruction this week was like a toddler potty routine for OAP runners, “...training not straining ...” :)

Mon: plan: 40 mins easy. Had a sports massage and had the calf needled, it was on fire so decided to rest it up. Sea swim in the very high tide, followed by Epsom salt bath.

Tue: did Monday’s planned 40 mins easy on the pitch, calf felt on a knife edge to start so stopped after every couple of laps to try and stretch it. Wobbled around at 8.28 pace.

Wed: I’d the physioterrorist mid morning so I headed up to the pitch just before 9, grass covered in dew but it was still very warm. Plan was for wu/cd with 3x3 mins @ 7.05 off a min and 3x1 min @ 6.40 off 90 seconds. Had compression socks on but the calf still felt tight the whole way along the inside of the leg. Stretching and decent warm up and I decided I’d start it and see. Managed it but the calf was never comfortable. Splits for faster bits, 6.47/6.51/6.49 & 6.39/6.32/6.21.

Terrorist had lots of things to do and only a limited time but she said tight hamstrings were causing the calf issues! Had my back, shoulders, glutes and calf needled and was in bits after this. Got some stretches for the hammys.

Thur: plan was for 40 min progression, I did my usual 10k ramble with my work buddy, he wanted to run close to 46 for 10k but the calf was getting worse even after a slow first mile so I held back and averaged 8.02

Fri: 20 mins very easy on the pitch.

I’d been doing the hamstring stretches and they seemed to be relieving the calf tightness above the knee but the pain below the knee to the ankle was getting worse. Started rolling the foot on a sliotar to little effect but at one point it slipped a bit and I pressed into the very top of the arch and I nearly hit the roof with the shot of pain. Massaged it out and iced it.

Sat: think I’ve gotten to the bottom of the calf issue, seems to be a combination of tight hammys and a ridiculously tight arch. Plan today was for 30 mins plus 6 strides off 60/90 seconds. Back up to the pitch, calf way better not totally gone but never felt like it was going to pop! Comfortable enough 30 mins only got 3 strides done as there was a gang of hairy young lads waiting to start a match!

Sun: another bit of improvement with the calf so back up to the pitch to get the planned wu/cd with 6 x3 mins @ 7.05 off 1 minute done. Did a bit of a longer warm up to try and loosen out the calf.

Managed it well enough and the splits were 6.56/6.56/6.57/6.54/7.00/6.55. Got over 6 miles in total done and 28 miles for the week.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I know people who say ‘slow down a bit’ can get a bit tiresome, but how do you decide on paces for the likes of that Weds session, and do you not make a better effort to hit the paces you’re aiming at when you start? Or do you feel going faster is a success? Just curious.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I know people who say ‘slow down a bit’ can get a bit tiresome, but how do you decide on paces for the likes of that Weds session, and do you not make a better effort to hit the paces you’re aiming at when you start? Or do you feel going faster is a success? Just curious.

Hey D

You’re training is going veer well, hope you get to race soon.

The salmon eile decides the paces and that makes it all very easy for me as I trust him completely to tailor the plan to my current levels.

The second part of your question has been irritating me a lot! Maybe it’s an insecurity thing but if there’s people around my default setting seems to be to go faster. I also tend to always over cook the pace from the start and on shorter reps it’s gets a bit messy, fast start, brakes, accelerate, potential car crash :(

Then if the first rep comes in fast my stupid brain seems to think that’s the baseline and wants to match that pace for the rest of the reps.

One improvement over previous cycles is that I now always jog the recoveries whereas before I’d have walked some of them and I think that was a bad habit.

I really must try and focus to try and hit the planned paces!

TbL

Ah - didn’t realise the old coach was on board. I’m sure he’ll do a better job than me at explaining why those justifications are misguided, although you seem to know already yourself. I think most of us feel those pressures you describe at some stage, but ultimately the greatest satisfaction is from doing it right, I suppose.

Great that someone is guiding things. All the best with it.

Another week on plan in the bank. This time last year I thought I’d never run again so I’m delighted to be where I am today, yes it’s slower and much lower mileage but every week I see incremental improvements. That’s why I love Salmon Eiles plans, they are intelligent, suit me perfectly and I always see improvements.

The last two weeks minding the calf has been mentally draining and taken a lot of the enjoyment outta the runs but this week it has been a lot better and as a result I’ve enjoyed the week. (bar one scare)

Mon: 20 mins very easy, had a sports massage early morning and the body was in bits so took this very handy, barely got 2 miles in.

Tue: 40 mins progression: was at work in town, was an awful day with the rain bucketing down. Didn’t fancy doing laps of the local pitch so headed to the trails in Dangan to get this done. Managed to get 5 miles done @ 8.10 but it was so wet I got no warm up or cool down done and it was over an hour before I got home because of the traffic. Could feel the back tightening and tried my best to stretch it out later.

Wed: woke up and the back actually felt inflamed, was worried but I’d no sciatica. Same thing happened a few weeks ago and it was other muscles causing the pull in the lower back so I decided to go to the pitch and try the planned session, if any bit of sciatica I’d pull the plug.

wu/cd 2x4 mins @ 6.55 off 90s; 3 x1 min @ 6.40 off 90s; 2x3 mins @ 7.00 off 60s.

Back felt tender and didn’t get worse, happy to get it done, splits were (6.55,6.51); (6.34, 6.55, 6.38); (6.55, 6.58)

Off to the physioterrorist in the evening, glutes and paraspinals were causing the lower back pain and I got one of the most intense needling sessions ever, back, glutes and shoulders!

Thur: was battered after the terrorist so I just took it easy all day and had an Epsom salt bath.

Fri: felt like a new man! Plan was for 40 min progression. Met my work buddy for this, we usually do a 10k and he decided he wanted to do around 47 min. I decided to go with the flow and this ended up being one of the most enjoyable runs I had in yonks, felt comfortable the whole way around. Splits 7.41, 7.26, 7.11, 7.20, 7.16, 7.08.

Sat: 30 mins easy with 6 strides @ 5k pace.

Sun: wu/cd 4x5 min @ 7.05 off 2 mins. Ran a nice easy warm up from the house up to the pitch. Managed this handy enough and did a slow enjoyable trot back home for 7 miles in total.

Splits 6.58/7.03/7.02/6.56

Happy out with 30 miles for the week

I’m hoping to race a 5k in 2 weeks, and I’ll be targeting a sub 20.30, might be a bit optimistic for where I’m currently at but I’ll give it a good rattle

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Salmon Eile

Took me a few mins to work that out!

Moving well young man.

• Advertisement

Salmon Eile

Took me a few mins to work that out!

Moving well young man.

Yep, back to what worked for me before and I’m enjoying it. Struggling to keep all the tendons, bones and muscles functioning :)

You’re starting to get back into things nicely ðŸ‘

TbL

Another decent week in the bank

Mon: sports massage in the morning and just over 5 miles easy around the pitch @ 8.07

Tue: 20 mins very very easy, didn’t feel great and again barely got just over 2 miles done

Wed: plan was for 3x8 mins @ 7.10 pace off 3 mins and 4x30 second strides at 5k pace off 90 seconds. Had agreed with Salmon Eile that I’d do the planned weekend TT instead but never made it into the track in Galway so I just did this up at the pitch.

Did a longer than usual wu/cd and got over 7 miles done in total. Splits for the 8 mins were 7.05/7.07/7.04 and they were comfortable enough. Paces on the 30 sec were all over the place but overall it was a good session.

Thur: back a bit achey took my day off.

Fri: met up with my work running buddy who was running for his 200th consecutive day (min 5k runs), he wanted to push the pace but I wasn’t up for it, got just over 10k done nice and comfortable @ 8.00 pace.

Sat: plan this weekend end had a session that included a wu/cd, a mile TT off 8 mins, 4x400m at 6.55/6.50/6.45/6.40 off a minute. I’d planned on doing this on the track in UCG, quick breakfast, walk the dog and jumped into the car, not charged FFS! I was a bit all over the place now and wasn’t even sure if I’d attempt it. Not mentally tough enough at times and I was already making excuses! Decided to jog up to the pitch and see. Got up there and it was pretty bumpy but after a walk around the pitch checking for life threatening craters I decided to get on with it.

Looked at the watch after the first lap, 5.46, ah fook I was told to start slower and was worried I’d blow up. Tried to steady the ship and second lap was about 5.48, third and fourth laps were pretty consistent and I let out a grunt of satisfaction as the mile beeped at 5.50:99

I was tired but didn’t collapse onto the grass like the last failed attempt and if I was being chased I’d probably have squeezed a bit more outta the tank

To say I was delighted is an understatement, 18 months ago there were days where I struggled to walk properly and was in chronic pain. Think I might now have the confidence to try and push towards 5.40 for the mile.

Misread the watch and only took 6 minutes walk/jog/stretch rest before tackling the 400’s, paces were 6.54/6.49/6.38/6.34.

Had the headphones and a big grin on the cool down jog home and did a bit of an auld man jog/dance thingy in the middle of the road on the way until the calf piped up and told me to cop the fook on :)

Really hoping to break 20.30 for 5k next weekend

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great stuff and on grass too. As a relative newbie around these parts, very enjoyable reading about your comeback and the recent gains.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great session there, surely you should be targeting sub 20 though not 20.30?

Great stuff and on grass too. As a relative newbie around these parts, very enjoyable reading about your comeback and the recent gains.

I'll 2nd this! Well done :)

You sound more & more like me with the big grin & silly dance/jog...love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done Sweetheart!!!

Nice mile, maestro. Impressed!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Great session there, surely you should be targeting sub 20 though not 20.30?

Only managed a 20.47 a few weeks back, so don’t think I’m in that shape just yet

Thanks, found it hard enough on the bumpy pitch, hopefully I could go a little quicker on a better surface

I'll 2nd this! Well done :)

You sound more & more like me with the big grin & silly dance/jog...love it!

Used to log a lot on here to pass the time when I was travelling to the extent the log was almost like a travel blog :) I was so happy when I got home that Mrs TbL asked could I do that run everyday:)
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Well done Sweetheart!!!

Thanks blossom (or acorn beag)
    Nice mile, maestro. Impressed!

Thanks D, hopefully I can keep the incremental gains coming, it’s been a long way back and I’m envious of your miles. Anyway I’ll stand you some running coaching and a coffee next time you’re in Galway :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

TBL running sub 6 min miles again, fair play to you bogger, great to see it

Duanington wrote: »
    TBL running sub 6 min miles again, fair play to you bogger, great to see it

Welcome back Double D, did I hear that you are down with all the cool kids and have back issues?

You wouldn’t think it looking at your Strava miles

TbL

• Advertisement

The Strava yoke told me I’d 25 days running and 122 miles in September, was pleasantly surprised with that.

Was supposed to be racing a 5k today in Roscommon looking to go sub 20.30 and was very disappointed that the new restrictions put paid to the race. I’m focussing on the 5k for the next few months and the plan is to try and see incremental improvements from 20.30, 20.00, 19.30 and beyond...

Mon: had a sports massage early am and was very achey afterwards. Was going to can the run but went up to the pitch and got the planned 40 mins easy done and just over 5 miles & 8.38

Tue: met my work buddy for a 10k progression. Enjoyable run with a decent finish into the wind. 6.4 miles @ 7.40

Wed: had the physioterrorist and got my calf’s needled, was in bits and we decided to take today off and not do the planned session

Thur: work buddy asked me to pace him to sub 45 min 10k. Absolutely belting day for this. One of the best days out running I’ve had in yonks, felt strong and like some of the old fitness is coming back. (7.10, 7.03, 7.00, 7.19, 7.05, 6.45). 43.43 for 10k

Fri: Felt a little stiff and tired so stuck to the planned 20 mins very very easy on the pitch

Sat: 12 hours sleeps and I was still tired!! Did zero except eat, cat nap on the couch and 5 miles easy with strides on the pitch.

Sun: another 12 hours sleep! (I’m getting old :) ) didn’t get up till after 12.30. Beautiful day here today and felt a bit guilty wasting it in bed. Had a big brunch and about 6 coffees, gave it about an hour to settle before heading up to the pitch. Was supposed to do 15 mins @ 7.10 pace but decided to do Wednesdays missed session instead:

wu/cd 5 mins @ 6.40 off 2 min, 3x1 min @ 6.00 off 90 sec, 4 min @ 6.40 off 2 min, 3x30 sec @ 6.00 off 90 sec, 3 mins @ 6.30

Was sitting in the car repeating the session over and over in my head like I was prepping for the leaving cert :) just like the leaving cert I still managed to fook it up!!!

Found this the toughest session I’ve done so far.

5 min @ 6.37
    3x1 min 6.03, 5.57 (ran 90 seconds on this one) 6.07
    4 min @ 6.37
    3x30 sec 5.55, 5.58 and forgot the last one :(
    3 mins 6.26

Good solid week but I’m off to bed :)

TbL

Continuing to see incremental improvements through consistent training although with a chronic back issue it’s never plain sailing.

Mon: 40 min progression run. Up to the pitch to get this done. Wasn’t feeling the love for this it was cold and dreary with no one around. Felt bored and unmotivated even the Spotify music was depressing! Had to remind myself that this time last year I’d have done anything to be trundling around the pitch circa 8 min mileing. 5 miles @ 8.11

Tue: plan was for 20 mins very easy, managed just over 2 miles very slow

Wed: plan 5 x 800m @ 6.35 off 90 sec, 3 min jog, 5 x100m off 60 sec.

Drove into the track in Dangan to get this done. Superman change in the car (managed to put my shorts on the right way this time :)) and walked up to the track, locked, oh ffs! A few years ago I’d have just scaled the fence but didn’t fancy it so just jogged down to the double pitch. Felt really good on this, was really comfortable. Paces for 800m, 6.32, 6.24, 6.29, 6.28, 6.20.

Felt really good on the 100m, ran them between 5.25-5.35 pace and did a 6th one by mistake.

With wu/cd just under 7 miles done

Thur: 40 min progression. Met up with work buddy for our weekly jaunt, effects of previous days effort was still in the legs, body and mind were tired and rather than push it to keep up with him I let him go, dropped the pace and enjoyed the run in the sun. 6.17 miles @ 8.17

Fri: planned day off but I was in the car a fair bit and decide to go up to the pitch with the kids who were kicking the ball around. Decided to do a slow 20 mins to loosen up. All going to plan till a lad, probably around 10 came past me unexpectedly and said “come on grandpa”!!! I went from “fair play to him out running”, to “cheeky scut” to “l’m not having that”! Injected some pace and came up alongside him but didn’t pass, he responded and went quicker, I stayed with him but didn’t pass, he tried again but then died off. I passed both his mother who was out walking the pitch who looked at me funny and my daughter who was doubled over laughing and shouted “pathetic Dad!”.

I didn’t care I learned that 10 year old good :)

Just over 2 miles, the second too fast :(

Sat: 40 mins with strides. Did 5 miles around the pitch in fading light. My left ankle was extremely tight and choked so I didn’t do the strides. Iced it and blasted it with the Theragun when got home but it was tender and painful.

Sun: plan was for 3 sets of 5x1 min @ 6.00 pace. Walked the dog early and the ankle/foot didn’t past the walk comfortably test so I decided not to run today. Have a sports massage tomorrow and hopefully that’ll sort it. With the work I’ve put in over the last few weeks a missed day or two is no biggie!

Congrats to Lambay Island on a superb sub 3 marathon TT. Incredible running

TbL

Felt really good on the 100m, ran them between 5.25-5.35 pace and did a 6th one by mistake.

If only you had some stones with you;):D

If only you had some stones with you;):D

He was always lacking stones E.........

Just as I was getting into a decent rhythm and seeing week on week improvements I get derailed by injury. So so frustrating.

After my last decent run, 5 miles on Saturday 17th I started to get severe pain in my ankle/foot. Took 2 days off and then tried tried 20 mins very easy on grass, felt tight but not terrible but that night I couldn’t sleep. It felt like a colony of fire ants were attacking my foot and ankle.

Did all the usual things to try and help recovery (even popped some neurofen having made a conscious effort to stop taking them) but nothing helped.

Put an emergency call into the physioterrorist but she’s only working part time and could only squeeze me in for 15-20 mins. She thought it might be a strained or slightly torn tendon in the foot, teased out some of the stiffness and strapped me up. It wasn’t getting any better and I was getting fatter! It wasn’t that painful to walk on but after the walk it was very sore and almost unbearable at night.

Called the physioterrorist and she wanted me to come in as she thought it could be my back causing the issue and I was getting a sciatica sensation from the lower calf down.

That pissed me off no end, I started to over think and over eat. I must have eaten a small plantation of KP nuts!

Got into the physioterrorist and she spent an hour giving me the once over.

It transpires that it’s not the tendon or the back but I’ve got a severe case of piriformis syndrome to add to my injury collection.

Good news is the back is still strong and I should be able to work out the irritation in the piriformis. I was told last year that my two main weaknesses were core and glutes, I’ve almost sorted the core but have a fair bit of work to do to build up the glutes.

Treated myself to 20 mins easy around the pitch on Friday and while it was “at me” a little that night it was much better than before. I was puffin & panting at a snails pace, it’s amazing how quickly your fitness drops off especially after all the effort I put in. :(

Was going to try another 20 mins yesterday but the weather convinced me the arse needed another days rest :)

Did 30 mins easy from the house today with lots of stretching before and after. Terrible weather but I enjoyed waddling along with my peanut belly flopping around.

I’ll check with Salmon Eile but I’ll probably just do easy runs for the week.

Hoping if I survive the lockdown to use the time to get in sub 20 shape. If there’s anyone that fancies a running date and sub 20 min 5k pacing job in December let me know, flowers and chocolates on me :)

Lockdown madness is affecting us all, just like the first lockdown, Mrs TbL has started to dig holes for planting in the garden and has a little label beside each one. Unless there’s a plant called “grumpy bastard”, I reckon she has designs on interring me!!!

TbL

Sorry to hear of your injury, hopefully it's just a little blip for you & it gets sorted quickly...especially after all your progress:)

Ouch. I suspected as much with the sudden lack of updates. Glad the damage isn’t as bad as you feared. What causes this ailment? Good luck with the TT if you find a pacer.

‘Nut belly’ - that gave me a laugh. :)

Ouch. I suspected as much with the sudden lack of updates. Glad the damage isn’t as bad as you feared. What causes this ailment? Good luck with the TT if you find a pacer.

‘Nut belly’ - that gave me a laugh. :)

Hey D

Saggy, weak old man glutes causing the piriformis to over work, once it tightens up it presses down on the sciatica nerve.

Hopefully we can catch up for a jaunt once detention is over

TbL

Easy update this week:

Mon: 5 miles easy
    Tue: 5 miles easy
    Wed: 5 miles easy
    Thur: 5 miles easy
    Fri: 5 miles easy
    Sat: 5 miles easy
    Sun: 5 miles easy

I’m a creature of habit :)

Glutes are still tight but the sciatica in the foot is mainly gone. It comes back a bit if the glutes tighten and it was sore enough after Fridays run that included a “faster” mile. I’ve been stretching a couple of times a day and that’s helping

Hoping to ease back into a plan this week.

TbL

• Advertisement

I’ve been stretching a couple of times a day and that’s helping

You not a bit old for that lark.........

Advertisement