Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

The plan today called for a 4 mile Nursing Home special.

Up early for this, again with company and along the same route. Managed 5 recovery miles but the head didn't feel great. I got roped into smoking a shisha last night which is essentially a big water pipe for smoking. (Thing of a giant sized bong from your student days) . Although I got the mildest apple flavour I didn't enjoy it at all and felt nauseous and queasy afterwards. Smells like incense that the priest would be shaking around at a funeral, feckin awful but I wasn't in a position to refuse.

The swim in the sea cleared my head nicely and I had what will be my last breakfast al fresco for a fair while as I'm flying home later today.

Dubai marathon is on next weekend, should have organised my travel plans a bit better...

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

The plan today called for a 4 mile Nursing Home special.

Up early for this, again with company and along the same route. Managed 5 recovery miles but the head didn't feel great. I got roped into smoking a shisha last night which is essentially a big water pipe for smoking. (Thing of a giant sized bong from your student days) . Although I got the mildest apple flavour I didn't enjoy it at all and felt nauseous and queasy afterwards. Smells like incense that the priest would be shaking around at a funeral, feckin awful but I wasn't in a position to refuse.

The swim in the sea cleared my head nicely and I had what will be my last breakfast al fresco for a fair while as I'm flying home later today.

Dubai marathon is on next weekend, should have organised my travel plans a bit better...

TbL

Even though it doesn't feel like it, there is a huge amount of tobacco in it. I've got roped in to smoking it a couple of times but don't like it. Fecks up my stomach.

Nice to see you are culturally sensitive and gave it a go anyway :D

Even though it doesn't feel like it, there is a huge amount of tobacco in it. I've got roped in to smoking it a couple of times but don't like it. Fecks up my stomach.

Nice to see you are culturally sensitive and gave it a go anyway :D

Ya KU, it was rank and I used to smoke a lot.

I'm an Irish Mammys bogger boy at heart that was reared on meat, spuds and veg so some of the more "exotic" things I've had to try on my travels have been a challenge :)

Cultural sensitivity be damned though, I'll never smoke that bong again!

TbL

The plan today had me doing a 16-18 mile long run and 6 miles easy tomorrow.

I had arranged to do my long run with a legend of Boards in Dublin this morning but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

I arrived in from Dubai last night and was to stay in the big schmoke to get the LR in, but I've to travel to London for the first few days of next week and Mrs TbL needed me to be home early this morning.

Same as last week I changed in the car in Spiddal and ran 6.2 miles until I was picked up by the family wagon (vehicular not spousal :) )

Felt very good during this and the tarred surface felt like a tartan track compared to the paved concrete tiles in Dubai.

Did a 1 mile recovery run with the eldest who I,m trying to encourage to get more exercise and it's proving a bit of a challenge.

7.2 miles for the day and I'll get the long run in tomorrow.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The plan today had me doing a 16-18 mile long run and 6 miles easy tomorrow.

I think young Ecoli might be stealing his ideas from someone else. I'll get TRR to change his email password :p

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think young Ecoli might be stealing his ideas from someone else. I'll get TRR to change his email password :p

I was really supposed to be doing a 22 miler with the last 10 at PMP but Ecoli pared it back so I'd be running something similar to the person who's a couple of weeks behind me for the April smackdown :)

TbL

Having switched yesterdays and todays sessions around, today the plan called for 16-18 miles LR. I would have much preferred to have had this done with company yestersay as I'm finding the longer runs a bit of a slog recently.

It was very icy earlier in the morning so I waited until near lunch time to get this done.

I picked a hilly out and back route that had me constantly up and down with little or no running on the flat. Even though it was a cracker of a day with a nice bit of sunshine the roads were still very icy in the shaded parts.

I tried to pick up the pace on the downhills to try and get some Boston specific training in and I'll try and do the majority of my LR's on this route as it fairly challenging.

I tried to do the last mile in sub 7 as its mainly downhill but at this stage my hip flexor and groin were giving me a bit of jip and I wasn't able to hit the pace.

Did 17 miles @ 8.02 and given the route I'm happy enough with that effort.

13 weeks to Boston!

Splits:

67 miles for the week

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice going there C - are you full into marathon training mode now at this stage? Nice week there given you were away for a bit

Duanington wrote: »
    Nice going there C - are you full into marathon training mode now at this stage? Nice week there given you were away for a bit

Tnx DD,

Yep, full marathon training now and the miles will ramp up slowly, the auld body doesn't seem to like the winter training much and I think I'm stiffer and slower to recover than I was during the summer.

Enjoy San Fran, no shortage of big hills for those hill sprints you are so fond of :)

TbL

Today the plan called for a 4 mile nursing home special.

Another mad day and I'm in Redhill, near Gatwick till Wednesday evening so caught up for time. Staying in the half decent hotel with the reasonable gym but I was hoping I wouldn't need to use it. Unfortunately I never got the time to run outside so I had to do it on the treadmill and got 4 miles in in 40 minutes.

Looking like it's shaping up to be a treadmill few days, bah humbug!!!

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Today the plan called for a 4 mile nursing home special.

Another mad day and I'm in Redhill, near Gatwick till Wednesday evening so caught up for time. Staying in the half decent hotel with the reasonable gym but I was hoping I wouldn't need to use it. Unfortunately I never got the time to run outside so I had to do it on the treadmill and got 4 miles in in 40 minutes.

Looking like it's shaping up to be a treadmill few days, bah humbug!!!

TbL

Sure would you not be better getting outside if you have 40 minutes to spare ? Unless there was scenery in the gym ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    Sure would you not be better getting outside if you have 40 minutes to spare ? Unless there was scenery in the gym ?

Hey Paulie,

Pitch dark and bad roads outside where I am and nothing to see in the gym either :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Hey Paulie,

Pitch dark and bad roads outside where I am and nothing to see in the gym either :)

TbL

Are there no mirrors:eek:

Plan today called for 8 miles easy.

An early start this morning meant I'd have to get this in this evening after a long day. Got back to the hotel and changed into the gear straight away so that I wouldn't start coming up with excuses not to get this done.

Back to the gym and the feckin dreadmill, after a very slow start I got 13k done in just under 75 mins.

Did some auld man stretches on a mat in front of a mirror, while not entirely happy with the aesthetics of the reflection on display it could have been worse, it could have been FBOTs :)

Have a session in the plan for tomorrow but as I'll be travelling tomorrow evening I'll probably switch it out till Thursday.

TbL

Yesterday: plan called for a session but I knew that wasn't gonna happen with work and the flight back so I had hoped to get 8 mile easy done.

Was stuck in a hot and stuffy meeting room all day yesterday and was very low on mojo to run, on the way to the airport I texted Bulmers to see if he was around Shannon for a late evening run but unfortunately he had gone. It was after 9 by the time I landed and I lost the last remaining bit of will to run, so just wrote off the day after texting Coach.

Today: session. 2m wu/cd 3 x (1 mile & 400m) all of 2.5 minutes recovery. Paces for the mile 6.05 and 85 seconds for the 400.

Was tired all day but when I did get out at lunch time it was a smashing day for running. Hit the trails around the UCG pitches for the warm up/ cool down and used the track for the faster stuff. Only did 4 laps of the track so a bit short of the mile. I was happy with the 400's but not so much the mile reps. I'm wondering was I mentally holding back saving a bit for the 400's (didn't feel like it, but I was a little disappointed with the mile reps)

Did 3.25 mile warm up and a 2 mile cool down

Rep 1: 5.58, 84
    Rep 2: 6.04, 82
    Rep 3: 6.09, 81

I'm starting to think I've a mental block with 6 min miles and I'm gonna try and smash through it over the next few weeks.

I'll try and get a nursing home special in later tonight to loosen out the legs.

TbL

Hmmm I am defintiely starting to think that Ecoli has hacked the Turdmesiter's email :pac:
    For what it's worth I have been doing the mile reps in 6:20ish (no 400s and 3min recs), I certainly wouldn't be dispondent with your times!!

What kind of times would you expect to be doing the miles in? Surely any faster than current 5k pace would be too fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Maybe a longer recovery would help with those sub 6 min miles C? Not sure if there's room for that in the plan though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Paces for the mile 6.05 and 85 seconds for the 400.
    I'm starting to think I've a mental block with 6 min miles and I'm gonna try and smash through it over the next few weeks.

:confused:

Session hit as planned. You ran your first sub 6 every less than 6 months ago when you were in top shape and now you feel its a mental block to be hitting it before specific training starts.

Perspective is a wonderful thing so I am going to give you some :P
    Met up with the coach in Tymon today for the session.

As I'm doing the Achil half as a session on Saturday, today's session was not too taxing, and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

2m wu, 1m, 2 x 400, & 4 x 200 with 1 mile cd

Splits were 6.03, 1.26, 1.21, 38,38,38 & 36.

I think the mile rep was the fastest I've ever run a full mile either in training or racing! (I know for sure I've never broken 6). My confidence is starting to trickle back.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hmmm I am defintiely starting to think that Ecoli has hacked the Turdmesiter's email :pac:
    For what it's worth I have been doing the mile reps in 6:20ish (no 400s and 3min recs), I certainly wouldn't be dispondent with your times!!

What kind of times would you expect to be doing the miles in? Surely any faster than current 5k pace would be too fast...

Hey Meno,

bit early to be sandbagging :)

The plan had me doing the mile reps at 6.05 -6.10 range, and I didn't quite hit that on the last two reps. I'd expect my 5k race pace to be around 6.00-6.05 (although not too confident I'd nail that at the moment). I was hoping that at this stage that 3 mile reps with that decent recovery would be closer to 6.00. I've been cautioned about been overly ambitious in the past though! Just seemed a little peculiar to me that the mile reps were getting slower while the 400's were getting slightly faster. Things are starting to come together a bit better so I'm happy with the way its going.

Decided to skip Raheny as I'm not race fit just yet. How did your long run go?

TbL

• Advertisement

Perspective is a wonderful thing so I am going to give you some 

Ah yes but back then I'd only recently hooked up with "potentially one of the best coaches in the country", my expectations have increased considerably :)

Thanks for the flashback, perspective is indeed a wonderful thing.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

...Just seemed a little peculiar to me that the mile reps were getting slower while the 400's were getting slightly faster.

I'm no coach but maybe there's your answer right there. And anyway your average was 6:04. What's the problem? :pac:

Nice work all round.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I'm no coach but maybe there's your answer right there. And anyway your average was 6:04. What's the problem? :pac:

Nice work all round.

Tnx Doc,

average of 6.04 was for 1600m :)

I think part of the issue is that after Valencia I believed that I'd see rapid improvement on the next cycle, it obviously doesn't work like that and Ecoli has provided some probably needed perspective.

Old age doesn’t apparently confer patience. :)

I better stop now as I'm starting to sound high maintenance even as I type....

TbL

You need to stop reading Yaboya's log or at least acknowledge that you are giving him 10 years so everything takes a little longer;)

Old bull, young bull....eyes on the prize:D

Long run was a real slog, would have loved the company!!
    I think your mile reps are fine for what you are aiming for; if the coach gave you a pace range and you hit it (or exceeded it) then the session is succesful IMO and you should be happy.
    If your first one was too fast then don't run the first one too fast next time...leave the fancy Dan show off paces to the races. Too many people hit superhero training sessions/runs and can't reproduce that when it matters.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    You need to stop reading Yaboya's log or at least acknowledge that you are giving him 10 years so everything takes a little longer;)

Old bull, young bull....eyes on the prize:D

I need to stop reading your feckin log, although it doesn't look like it, I'm only giving you a few years and you're bashing out the sessions :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Got a massage last night and got completely battered, was very tender and was walking like a bow legged cowboy so retired to the couch rather than doing a few leg loosening miles!

Today, the plan called for a 4 mile nursing home special. Was still a little fragile after last nights pummelling and I took this real real easy. Was a bit uncomfortable for the first few minutes and never felt like I totally loosened out. Did a few auld man saggy butt clenches and other assorted geriatric stretches.

I also blew the cobwebs off the chin bar, I've great intentions to getting up to 10 chin ups :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Got a massage last night and got completely battered, was very tender and was walking like a bow legged cowboy so retired to the couch rather than doing a few leg loosening miles!

Today, the plan called for a 4 mile nursing home special. Was still a little fragile after last nights pummelling and I took this real real easy. Was a bit uncomfortable for the first few minutes and never felt like I totally loosened out. Did a few auld man saggy butt clenches and other assorted geriatric stretches.

I also blew the cobwebs off the chin bar, I've great intentions to getting up to 10 chin ups :)

TbL

Sounds like you could do with a couple of rest days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

How many chin ups can you do at the moment?

Sounds like you could do with a couple of rest days!

Don't necessarily think its that K, I need to focus on stretching properly after runs and I seem to stiffen up a lot more during winter training. I also was a bit stiff while building up the miles during the last cycle. That said I was going to go out tonight to try and get some missed miles in but I'm gonna retire beside the fire for the evening.

Auld age is a bitch :)

TbL

SamforMayo wrote: »
    How many chin ups can you do at the moment?

None! I'm back to hanging on to the bar like a fruit bat with the shakes!

Sounds like youre about to issue a challenge there SfM :)

TbL

• Advertisement

TbL

Just dug out the chin up bar to set you a target to aim for.....this week's target is 8. Enjoy;)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Just dug out the chin up bar to set you a target to aim for.....this week's target is 8. Enjoy;)

Ok, but this is like handicapped horse racing so you need to do yours with a stone bag of spuds on your back :)

Challenge accepted!

TbL

Ok, but this is like handicapped horse racing so you need to do yours with a stone bag of spuds on your back :)

Challenge accepted!

TbL

Done!!

TbL

Who me! The reason I ask is I was watching a clip on utube last night of something called convict conditioning and it takes you through several stages to achieve your proper execution of a chin up ( or several other exercises for that matter). Check it out! I did nt try it myself mind you as I was balancing a cup of tea and a picnic bar at the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Challenge accepted!

TbL

Are the sand bags not enough of a handicap? :cool:

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Are the sand bags not enough of a handicap? :cool:

I presume that's aimed at FBOT!

Good luck with the sub 29 tomorrow

TbL

Plan today called for 8 milesessy.

We've visitors tomorrow and I would be stretched to get the long run in so I decided to do it today. The usual Saturday scenario, I changed in the car in Spiddal and ran home.

The run was to be 18 miles, 10 easy, 5 steady and the last
    3 at 6.55 - 7.05.

Earlier this morning there was hardly any wind out there but by the time I started it was breezy and I had the breeze in my face the whole time.

Easy miles ticked by handily enough (might have run them a tad quick but they fely easy), the clan passed me at mile 7 and asked me did I want a lift, didn't even feel tempted at that stage (where were they at mile 17!)

Hit the steady pace and it felt comfortable, the last steady mile had a bit of an incline and I started to feel it pinch a bit. The 3 miles home were net uphill and I knew I'd struggle to hit the planned pace, decided I'd be happy with circa 7.15 given the drags. Didn't happen and between mile 16-17 my goose was cooked. The last uphill mile had me shuffling, and almost had me walking but I kept waddling slowly along.

Finished with 17.91 miles @ 7.46 average.

All the best to anyone racing tomorrow.

Splits:

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Is that the main road you run TbL i.e Spiddal to Tully say?

tang1 wrote: »
    Is that the main road you run TbL i.e Spiddal to Tully say?

Yes Tang,

pass Tully go around Rossaveal and at the Seanadh Pheistin cross turn left and up into Carraroe. Couple of dodgy spots with cars whizzing by and its not the most sceanic but needs must and all that.! I hope to get most of the long runs over Seanadh Pheistin as its quiet and fairly hilly.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Dodgy spots with cars is right, your taking your life into your hands on some of those roads. Great running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Solid run today!

What's the plan in terms of Boston specific training?

Hilly long runs and get the quads battered? Looks like you have pretty decent mileage up already. Where are you planning to peak?

Or should I go to Ecoli 2's log and ask?:pac:

blockic wrote: »
    Solid run today!

What's the plan in terms of Boston specific training?

Hilly long runs and get the quads battered? Looks like you have pretty decent mileage up already. Where are you planning to peak?

Or should I go to Ecoli 2's log and ask?:pac:

Hey Blockic,

Had a decent mileage week last week 60+. This week will be closer to 50 due to a missed session. I hope to hit a good few weeks north of 70, and peak at 80-90.

Gonna use the hills of Connemara to get the hill work in, tried running faster on the downhills during last weeks LR and will progress to running PMP on the downhills.

Ecoli also has some surprises in store for me, you can read that as hilly ball breaking sessions :)

Might darken the door of a gym for the elderly to do some quad specific work.

Twelve weeks to go, how you feeling?

TbL

Just a couple of easy miles today. Legs felt surprisingly good. Horrible weather to be out in and was delighted that I'd the long run done yesterday.

Bit of a down week mileage wise but next week we are stepping up the volume and easing off the intensity slightly. Hoping to hit 70 miles.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Hey Blockic,

Had a decent mileage week last week 60+. This week will be closer to 50 due to a missed session. I hope to hit a good few weeks north of 70, and peak at 80-90.

Gonna use the hills of Connemara to get the hill work in, tried running faster on the downhills during last weeks LR and will progress to running PMP on the downhills.

Ecoli also has some surprises in store for me, you can read that as hilly ball breaking sessions :)

Might darken the door of a gym for the elderly to do some quad specific work.

Twelve weeks to go, how you feeling?

TbL

Looks to be on point, great to have Connemara as a resource, I'm struggling to find hills, which will bite me in the ass at 19 miles for sure!

I see you are going to try hit 70 this week, i'll be peaking at 70! Ha.

I'd love to get more miles in but job circumstances mean that 70 will be achievement it itself!

I'm kicking off now this week into the specific stuff, legs tired already and not even started! will give it a shot anyway, 12 week hybrid plan.. a mixture of a plan the crew I train with are using here, my own thoughts and thoughts of a couple others...

Recipe for disaster really!:pac: But think I'm happy with what I have come up with...for now..

Plan today called for 4 miles recovery.

Drove up to Dublin late last night and stayed in a hotel near Trinity. Was to get this done this morning but alarm never went off and I slept late. For a change I finished today at a reasonable hour and I've moved hotels to one near Stephens Green so I headed out in the last of the daylight to get this done. Headed up along the canal, the body today was the least stiff it's been in weeks and I'm not sure if that's a result of last weeks massage but I felt good and did 6 miles easy @ 8.34.

Spent a bit more time on some auld man stretches after the run. I've another magical mystery session with Coach tomorrow and I'm always slightly apprehensive about these coz I know they're gonna hurt!

This time 12 weeks I'll be finished in Boston!

TbL

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Who me! The reason I ask is I was watching a clip on utube last night of something called convict conditioning and it takes you through several stages to achieve your proper execution of a chin up ( or several other exercises for that matter). Check it out! I did nt try it myself mind you as I was balancing a cup of tea and a picnic bar at the time!

Tnx for this SfM, it's actually quite useful, although what you're doing perusing convict sites is somewhat perturbing! Hadn't you down as one of those ladies looking for a prison pen pal :)

I'm gonna get stuck into step 4 for a while.

TbL

Tnx for this SfM, it's actually quite useful, although what you're doing perusing convict sites is somewhat perturbing! Hadn't you down as one of those ladies looking for a prison pen pal :)

I'm gonna get stuck into step 4 for a while.

TbL

It was for educational purposes I swear! You can dedicate your first 10 chin ups to me!

Today the plan called for another one of Coaches magical mystery sessions. Met up earlier this morning at the Old Mill pub near Firhouse after been re routed by google maps a couple of times!

Was told we'd be doing a tempo run up and around the Bohernabreena reservoir and that there'd be a couple of short sharp hills. Feckin lovely!!

Aim was to concentrate on form/effort rather than watch pace and I was told to go with the hill on the downwards sections on the way back. After a quick warm up we were off with Coach leading the way. The slight drags gave way to the first hill, I like hills but I'm usually going up them nice and cool at 8-9 min pace, and it really was an effort to keep any sort of decent pace going. The second hill is a bit sharper and the tarred surface had given way to a trail with some loose stones, was really huffin & puffin by the time we crested it. The scenery up there is class although I didn't get a chance to really appreciate it as I was carefully watching my step and trying to keep the hurtin in check.

Once we turned I seemed to recover reasonably quickly and we quickened the pace a touch. Coach went down the first downhill like a nimble mountain goat, I had to apply the brakes a bit as I was afraid I'd lose my footing and I reached the bottom quickly followed by a mini avalanche of loose stone :)

The second downhill was tarred and I tried to run it hard, the runners were twak twaking of the ground and it felt very ungainly. Thought we'd only a couple of hundred metres to go so I pushed it out another bit. Was fairly pissed off to see I'd misjudged the finish by about a k, and I had to dig deep to push it to the end.

Finished with 5.4 miles @ 6.40.

Was delighted with that run, although it was tough I "enjoyed" it and it's a fantastic place to run. Was really surprised that they weren't more runners out there.

Finished up with a slow cd jog and a bit over 8 miles in total.

Tempo splits

5.55 (the last half mile)

Got back into Galway just after 5 pm, decided to shake the drive out of my legs got 4.13 recovery miles done @10.09

Total for day 12.5

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Nice work :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I like the way your coach has radically developed your ability to not get lost!

Advertisement