Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I like the way your coach has radically developed your ability to not get lost!

Haha AMK,

I left Stephens Green and 15 mins later I drove by the exact same spot!!!

Tbl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

twak twaking

I'm gonna use that in work tomorrow, just throw it into a conversation casually :D

Today called for 4/8 miles easy am/pm.

Got out very early this morning for this, it was pitch dark, damp, cold and windy. Twas horrible out there and I definitely wasn't feeling the love. Pace was very slow and I got 8 miles done before daybreak at just over 9 min pace.

Got another 4 miles done this evening, felt better but still not feeling the love.

4.11 miles @ 8.38

Total miles for day 12.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Today called for 4/8 miles easy am/pm.

Got out very early this morning for this, it was pitch dark, damp, cold and windy. Twas horrible out there and I definitely wasn't feeling the love. Pace was very slow and I got 8 miles done before daybreak at just over 9 min pace.

Got another 4 miles done this evening, felt better but still not feeling the love.

4.11 miles @ 8.38

Total miles for day 12.

TbL

Imagine if you had done only 4 this morning then had to spend the rest of the day thinking about the 8. Definitely best to get that out of the way 'early doors'.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Imagine if you had done only 4 this morning then had to spend the rest of the day thinking about the 8. Definitely best to get that out of the way 'early doors'.

Spot on PaulieC,

That's exactly why I reversed the order of the runs. Significant likelihood that I could have canned the pm run if it was 8 miles. Hate having runs hanging over me and like to get them done as soon as possible

TbL

• Advertisement

Plan today called for 9 miles easy.

Another foray out into the pre dawn darkness today. Horrible, horrible weather for running. I picked an hilly out and back route for this and my god it was extremely windy on the exposed sections. Hated almost every minute of this run, buffeted by wind, lashed by rain and machine gunned by a short but painful burst of hailstones. It was feckin cold with the wind chill, I had to stop for a pee and got an awful fright as I couldn't initially find John Thomas as it had decided to furiously retreat against the icy onslaught :) The wind howled and whined through the electrical wires and it was hard to see at times given the conditions.

By the time I finished I had convinced myself to take up badminton instead :)

Have to do 9 miles steady tomorrow and it's gonna be a serious chore if the conditions don't change.

9 miles @ 8.21

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Badminton isn't as leisurely as it looks 😰

Today the plan called for 9 miles steady.

Over the last few days I've noticed a very pronounced tightness developing between my belly button and pubic bone. It was sore after yesterdays run and I was "lucky" enough to get an evening massage appointment. Apparently my rectus adominus was severly tight with lots of muscle spasms. The area around the public plate was as hard as a boiler plate and I'venever had such a painful massage in my life. A previous shoulder rotator cuff issue was painful but this pain made that feel like an hour of relaxation. I kid you not it was excruciating and felt like I was been impaled with hot knitting needles. You'd need a general anaesthetic to put up with it! Anyway she couldn't get it all out even after an hour and suggested that I apply some pressure to it myself when I got home, so late last night I lay out on the bed and went to work on it. Between all the prodding and groaning I didn't hear Mrs TbL come in and she looked at me funny and asked me what I was doing! "Finishing what R started" (she goes to the girl for massage occasionally) I said. The look on her face didn't give me the level of comfort that she got the joke, I'll probably need a medical certificate to convince her at this stage :)

Anyway, I got out fir todays run at lunchtime and the weather was lovely if a little breezy. Did this around the UCG pitches and rather than taking up TJ's suggestion of 36 laps I ran a couple of each pitch before moving onto the next one, seemed a lot less monotonous and the miles went by fairly quickly. Happy enough with the average pace of 7.21 and although my rectus adominus was tender it wasn't the wrecked abonimus it was yesterday!

splits

half mile cool down gave 9.5 miles for the day

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Sacred heart, what can I say? I'm sorry for your trouble with your rectus thingy.( now there s a sentence I never thought I would say)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Knew you were into kinky sh!t!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Next time mention following; Iliopsoas.

You won't thank me but you will be glad in long run (no pun intended ;) )

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Sacred heart, what can I say? I'm sorry for your trouble with your rectus thingy.( now there s a sentence I never thought I would say)

Haha SfM, she did say I did get stiff in the strangest places! I obviously didn't relay that to Mrs TbL :) Apologies to all if I'm starting to sound like Benny Hill.
    tang1 wrote: »
    Knew you were into kinky sh!t!!

Ah now tang, you sound a bit jealous.
    ECOLII wrote: »

I'll have to google that later, but if it hurts more than that rectus thingy, I'll definitely be taking up the badminton!

TbL

Can you recommend any decent stretches?

TbL

Can you recommend any decent stretches?

TbL

reverse-lunge-with-twist-300x297.jpg

The rotation is a good one for aiming for the lower attachment point 8-12 secs at a time backing off and not holding for any longer

Donkey kicks are also a good more dynamic movement

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Hope the donkey has a good aim or you'll never see John Thomas again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I just had to google it... Fascinating stuff even though a lot of it went over my head...
    iliopsoas

Today the plan called for 7 miles easy and tomorrow had a 20 miles LR.

Like the last few weeks it suited me better to switch the days around and get the LR in today.

Decided to run in towards Galway and meet the clan, after their swimming lessons, at the Salthill hotel for lunch. Felt good before I started and decided I'd ease into 8 min mile pace, hit cruise control and keep it consistent at around 8 min pace.

Shortly after I started the rectus thingy started aching and irritating me. The ache was closer to the belly button this time and I hope that it was just tender from the massage and that I didn't go through all that pain for nothing!

Plodded on keeping an eye out for the last bits of the retreating icy patches. Around Spiddal I was starting to get pissed off and the last 10 miles became a bit of a tough slog. Traffic from Spiddal into the prom was heavy with a continuous stream of cars belting by. Horrible route for a long run and I won't do it again unless I've no choice.

Had to run over a mile, around housing estates, once I got to the Salthill hotel as I'd only done north of 18 odd miles and had to finish with two laps of the car park to hit the 20 miles!

Hit the jacuzzi and steam room to try and loosen out a bit. A helpful hint for fellow runners, if you're doing donkey kicks in an empty steam room, face the door so you can see when other people are coming in :)

68 miles done already this week and hopefully I'll be able to get a few in tomorrow to hit 75.

Managed the 20 @ 8.11 pace which surprised me as I thought I had faded very badly earlier.

Splits:

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Would you ever consider moving to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Serious mileage TbL, just tell me you were wearing something more substantial than a towel when donkey kicking towards the sauna door :-o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's a good one out of the way. Nice week's work (so far)! :)

Not sure what donkey kicks are but I'm sure they make for excellent steam room banter. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

So Mrs TBL entered a room at an inopportune moment again

cianc wrote: »
    Serious mileage TbL, just tell me you were wearing something more substantial than a towel when donkey kicking towards the sauna door :-o

Tnx Cian, hoping to hit a few 80+ weeks on this cycle, so hopingvthat this niggle shifts fast.

twas like Gorillas in the Mist in there :)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    That's a good one out of the way. Nice week's work (so far)! :)

Not sure what donkey kicks are but I'm sure they make for excellent steam room banter. :eek:

Tnx Murph, delighted its done as I'm travelling tomorrow night and hate having a long run hanging over me when I'm under pressure. I don't think auld lads like us can do proper donkey kicks, twas more like a piebald pony punt :)
    ger664 wrote: »
    So Mrs TBL entered a room at an inopportune moment again

Tis becoming a bit of a habit alright Ger! She's now asking me why I'm spending so much time on the internet (never bothered her before). "I'm having a discussion with like minded individuals" doesn’t appear to be assuaging her concerns :)

Hows your Boston training coming on?

TbL

Would you ever consider moving to Dublin?

Nope CJ, not a big city boy and I already spend enough time up there with work.

Besides wouldn't I need to learn a whole new set of social skills :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

TbL

Not really. This would get you by:

Standard greetings - Howya, Alright?
    English translation: How are you?

You can respond to either by repeating the question or using the second option. Any combination is acceptable.

E.g.

1. Howya. Howya.
    2. Howya. Alright.
    3. Alright. Howya.
    4. Alright? Alright.

Hope this helps.......

Or just say 'story' to either greeting or answer.

yaboya1 wrote: »

You can respond to either by repeating the question or using the second option. Any combination is acceptable.

E.g.

1. Howya. Howya.
    2. Howya. Alright.
    3. Alright. Howya.
    4. Alright? Alright.

Hope this helps.......

tang1 wrote: »
    Or just say 'story' to either greeting or answer.

Tanks Bud!

TdL

Tanks Bud!

TdL

You've already learned to drop the 'h'.
    You're way more advanced than we gave you credit for :D.

Plus he changed his name. Subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Tanks Bud!

TdL

TdL - ThedubLemon?

If so, that Dub really should have a capital d. Although this week I did see someone with an "Up the Dub's" banner.

• Advertisement

Very observant Murph_Detective, no flies on you at all!!!

TbL

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    TdL - ThedubLemon?

If so, that Dub really should have a capital d. Although this week I did see someone with an "Up the Dub's" banner.

Laura, in The Peoples Republic of Connemara, dublin isn't a capital :)

TbL

Haha. I didn't even notice that :)
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    TdL - ThedubLemon?

If he's really a Dub, it should be dDL ;):D

He'd be in his element. I've seen older lemons on Moore Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Laura, in The Peoples Republic of Connemara, dublin isn't a capital :)

TbL

Not another one :confused: Do the people of Cork know about this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Hows your Boston training coming on?

TbL

Base work done 12 week plan starts tomorrow. Time will not be set until RC post my target in Manchester the day before

Ger

• Advertisement

Plan today called for 7 easy miles

Beautiful day for running, sunny, crisp and no wind! Spent most of the afternoon out the back playing football with the kids.

Got 7 very easy miles in @ 8.46.

Finished the week with 75 miles and happy with that.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nope CJ, not a big city boy and I already spend enough time up there with work.

TbL

As you know learning to cough at the right moment is much more important than choosing the right greeting:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

yaboya1 wrote: »

E.g.

1. Howya. Howya.
    2. Howya. Alright.
    3. Alright. Howya.
    4. Alright? Alright.

Hope this helps.......

You're missing a bud

Howaya bud?
    Alright bud?
    Story bud?

TbL (ThebudLemon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

sad day when a Wicklow based man gets the Dublin dialect right.............

sad day when a Wicklow based man gets the Dublin dialect right.............

Ahem........Gallimh!!!

• Advertisement

From my experience, bud is exclusively a security guard word, its there word of choice while speaking via walkie talkies i.e "bud1 to bud2, come in bud2, over". Think TbL is a notch above that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Ahem........Gallimh!!!

Even worse, a Wicklow based Galway man......

Even worse, a Wicklow based Galway man......

Right pistols at dawn :p

Today the planned called for a 4 mile Nursing Home special.

I'm back in London again till tomorrow night and a very early start meant I was condemned to the hotel treadmill tonight.

Struggled through to get 6 miles done (might struggle to get the planned miles in tomorrow) very very easy.

Spent 40 minutes doing stretches which is the longest I've ever done a stretching routine. Badly needed as I'm as supple as Roy Keane is subtle!

TbL

Plan called for 9 miles easy. Travelling back later tonight so I knew I'd struggle to get this in. Decided to set the alarm for before 6 and get a few easy miles on the treadmill. Arrived a gym entrance just after 6, not open till 6.30, FFS, not a great start to the day. It was snowing as well so I'd to head back to the hotel to wait for it to open. Got 4 easy miles done before having the full breakfast while reading the paper and watching the snow fall on the trees and fields outside. Better start to the day :)

If I can I'll get a few more miles in later tonight.

TbL

Plan today called for a session, 2 miles wu/cd with 10 x 2 minutes @ 6.00-6.10 pace off 75 secs recovery.

Took a late lunch to get this done around the pitches and track of UCG. Still some icy patches out there in shaded areas but luckily the sun had melted the frost and ice off the track. Lovely weather for it, got just under 4 miles warm up done and hit the track.

Got the first rep done but hit the wrong button on the watch so I had to start again. Session wasn't easy but I never felt flat out so happy enough.

Finished with a mile and a half cool down.

Split Paces:

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Not wanting to be a dick :) But if your coach told you to run them at 6-6:10/mile pace (I'd assume there was a reason behind this) then why did you run them all @ 20-30 second/mile faster?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Not wanting to be a dick :) But if your coach told you to run them at 6-6:10/mile pace (I'd assume there was a reason behind this) then why did you run them all @ 20-30 second/mile faster?

Ya big dick :)

Mmmmm, you've kinda stopped me in my tracks, don't know is the answer! Would I'm auld, thick and stupid suffice :) Started off at what I thought was 6 min pace and it came in under that without feeling too bad so I just kept it going.

Mmmmmm

TbL

Ya big dick :)

Mmmmm, you've kinda stopped me in my tracks, don't know is the answer! Would I'm auld, thick and stupid suffice :) Started off at what I thought was 6 min pace and it came in under that without feeling too bad so I just kept it going.

Mmmmmm

TbL

Garmin paces on a track won't correlate correctly anyway so I wouldn't worry still get a gold star for the session :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Garmin paces on a track won't correlate correctly anyway so I wouldn't worry still get a gold star for the session :D

Yea Garmin always has you going a fair bit faster on a track. Maybe work the pace back in to 400m splits for the next one or divide the minute per mile time by four and you'll get a rough approximation. Good for checking in on your pace too and its something else to concentrate on, which is always a bonus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement